Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 03:22 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,411,086 times

Advertisements

i caught up now

apparently the wife & daughter are sound sleepers and will only wake to the faint sound of a door closing and not dialogue from 1 ft away
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 06:10 PM

8,071 posts, read 4,747,652 times
I like Dr. Ben Harris (ATWT), too, but the show seems to be a star vehicle for Layla Williamson (OLTL). [/meta soap references]

Layla--er, Candace would easily fit the definition of a "Mary Sue" character. She's involved in virtually everyone's stories, always seems to get the last word in her scenes, and of course she's prettier, smarter, stronger, and clever-er than everyone around her. The bit where she stood up to help her mother in court really pushed it over the top for me. The only difference is that a Mary Sue typically has a virtual halo over their heads, and characters extole his/her virtues even when the character isn't around. And that, my friends, will never happen with dear Candace.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:42 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,201,370 times
This show sucks. Why do I continue to watch?

Old 02-23-2014, 09:37 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
This show sucks. Why do I continue to watch?
Because you want to know what happens next

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
i caught up now

apparently the wife & daughter are sound sleepers and will only wake to the faint sound of a door closing and not dialogue from 1 ft away
Yeah, that was weird. It would've been better if the mom went to go check on the daughter because she heard a noise (Amanda coming in the house). Then have Amanda threaten him and leave.

Old 02-23-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Because you want to know what happens next

Yeah, that was weird. It would've been better if the mom went to go check on the daughter because she heard a noise (Amanda coming in the house). Then have Amanda threaten him and leave.
I know, I know. I wish I hadn't stopped on the channel to see what this was about. It gets worse every single week. The writing stinks to high heaven.

Old 02-23-2014, 04:40 PM

The sets are (overall) pretty nice for a lower-budget show. I tried to watch the online revival of One Life to Live last yearandone of the problems I had with it was the tiny, two-dimensional nature of the sets. H&HN falls somewhere between an internet soap and a network (daytime) soap, at least in terms of its "look". It's still rather generic and at times that is not realistic since Savannah has lots of older buildings full of individual character. The Crier home could be any upper-middle class home, but at least it has a more three-dimensional feeling than OLTL's sets had. I'm not sure if many of the other sets were constructed uniquely for H&HN, or if they were already on the studio lot from other projects, but I haven't been distracted from the action by a particularly cheesy or unrealistic set. I think the "look" of the show has improved episode by episode, actually.

Old 02-23-2014, 06:22 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I know, I know. I wish I hadn't stopped on the channel to see what this was about. It gets worse every single week. The writing stinks to high heaven.
Lol, that's how they sucker you in. If my memory serves me correctly, there are 2 more episodes until the season ends.

Old 02-27-2014, 03:52 PM

92 posts, read 202,456 times
Hannah' scenery chewing is getting unbearable now. All she does is wail, bark at people, and pray. It's tiresome.

The actor who plays Benny has the world's best luck. No lines to memorize, no need to live in the gym to keep in shape, just lay in a bed. all. season. long. and get a paycheck. Niiiice.

Seriously, though, I have never watched a series where a somewhat major character is in a coma the whole season! That's just lazy, TP. Move the story along!

Old 02-27-2014, 05:35 PM

Was Benny' s bed empty in the preview? Maybe Daddy Dearest had the machine shut off?

Old 02-27-2014, 06:00 PM

Did anyone watch the talk show thing that TP did after the episode? I'd always believed Perry was self-centered, but man, was that notion amplified. The highlight had to be his referring to H&HN as "his" show repeatedly until Tika Sumpter gently reminded him that it was "our' show (as in, the effort of many people other than him). His reply? Well, he was kind of distracted "by that whole writer/producer/director thing", as if to say "Well, my contributions mean more than anyone else's". It was an off-the-cuff exchange but spoke volumes about his ego. Anyone else would go out of their way to build up the efforts of the actors, the crew, even Oprah and be humble enough not to keep reminding everyone of his contributions.

I was actually kind of impressed by the depth of feeling in Hannah's meltdown after the court ruling. Yes, it was over-written but the actress does nail it. It could have been underplayed, of course, but I get the impression they don't let the word "underplay" be used on the set. Unlike many of the actors, that actress strikes me as being able to do pretty much anything they ask of her. The character's behavior can be bewildering at times, but Crystal Fox is able to sell it.

I think I'd die laughing if, after all this drama with pulling the plug, the kid just randomly wakes up and refuses to donate a kidney due to the horror that jerk put Hannah through in the past month or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV