Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
ABC 10 6.17%
NBC 16 9.88%
CBS 6 3.70%
CNN 14 8.64%
Fox News 43 26.54%
MSNBC 12 7.41%
HLN 0 0%
BBC 13 8.02%
Al Jazeera 3 1.85%
Russia Today 5 3.09%
CBC 5 3.09%
Daily Show/Colbert Report 8 4.94%
Other 27 16.67%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 02:05 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times

Advertisements

I used to watch Fox exclusively but I do like CBS in the morning too.

Fox is no where near the monster or butt of jokes as is the trendy thing to believe but I admit I do watch it so I can see the "other" side as it is because I do tend to disagree with orielly a lot and I can't even watch hannity.

Charlie rose and Nora and Gayle present the news in an even sort of way and the show has no fluff like most morning shows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 02:17 PM

745 posts, read 1,648,851 times
I don't watch TV news.
I get my news from the message boards. Many times there are people on the spot when it happens and can give a better account.

As to international news.... well you never can tell if it is truth or not, and it is more likely to be a mix.

Old 07-27-2013, 02:28 PM

5,357 posts, read 5,134,067 times
None
I just listen to NPR sometimes

Old 07-28-2013, 06:10 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,595,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocaseco View Post
Great answer....well it was great until i remembered that the main source of news on Google is.......The Network News. Google news is a consolidator, not a news organization.
The point is only old people want to have their news fed to them, I'd rather get my own news pertaining to what interests me.

Plus my childhood recollection of network news is, "Coming up at 10:00, can this common item in every home be KILLING you?!?!?!"

It's like the weather channel, old people will watch it and wait for the info they want, I'll just punch my zip code into Google and be on my way.

Old 07-28-2013, 06:23 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
The point is only old people want to have their news fed to them, I'd rather get my own news pertaining to what interests me.

Plus my childhood recollection of network news is, "Coming up at 10:00, can this common item in every home be KILLING you?!?!?!"

It's like the weather channel, old people will watch it and wait for the info they want, I'll just punch my zip code into Google and be on my way.
You should be so lucky as to get "old" unless you like the alternative. You'll change your tune some day. Believe me.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:49 AM

23,537 posts, read 24,029,400 times
FOX, ABC, NBC, CBS or Independent

Old 07-28-2013, 10:03 AM

2,903 posts, read 3,457,458 times
Fox "News" is an insult to thinking people.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:25 AM

621 posts, read 1,054,095 times
Quote:

I disagree with the assertion that only old people want to have their news fed to them, mostly because I see that nothing has changed. In my view, news is fed and promoted now than ever. And the news that is fed has a lot more fillers and artificial flavors than ever in my memory.

I stopped having my news fed to me back in 1989 when I learned that the news only reported a small amount of what was going on and that in itself is a form of editorializing it. I know I wasn't alone because those older people knew this and sought out their news by way of finding anything they could in print, television and radio on what interested them, and back then there was a real variation in what was being reported across the media properties. In order for me to find what went on back then, I had to go to the library to read the congressional research service reports, and I may be seen as being old depending on who is talking.

With all of the ability our media outlets have to access information and grab unique stories to dig into, I see no progress. I just see the same story recycled across the networks now more than ever, and it's very very light reading. That's not forward progress for the news and those who don't know that simply don't know any better... because they are too young to have the first hand experience.

As an aside:
I don't find the state of the weather to be accurate enough to reference it as news, but rather see it as the 'fluff' of news for those who need small talk for their next day at work. I find that people who watch the weather channel all day are those with family scattered across the globe that happen to be a little older, or those who like TV noise while cleaning. Believe it or not, a good amount of the 'old' crowd know from experience more about their local weather than anything the local news guy will tell them. Ask their arthritic joints!

Old 07-28-2013, 11:25 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:

Google news. Network news is for senior citizens.

Any more slams against "old people" and senior citizens? Older people grew up before the news was dumbed down for the younger people.

As an "older person" I haven't watched network tv news in years because it's all sensationalized--has to be about some terrible crime or a horrific accident or related to boring celebrities. I usually read the news online although if I could afford BBC or other better quality news channels on cable, I might watch that. Do you really think we sit around and watch the weather channel? That we aren't capable of putting in our zip code and getting the weather that way?

Old 07-28-2013, 11:38 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,546,625 times
BBC, Skynews, occasionally CNN international if something big is going on in the US, sometimes Al Jazeera.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV