Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 09:55 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
I find it nothing like the Wire and actually found myself bored. Sorry just my 2 cents
Nothing to be sorry about, they don't have anything in common outside of being exceptionally well written, set in Baltimore and many of the cast members played prominent roles on the Wire. Homicide is a police procedural the Wire was not. I might add that Homicide as good as it was, was certainly hobbled by being a network program without the freedom that HBO allows.

But to really get a true feeling for Homicide watch:

Season 2, Bop Gun with Robin Williams.

Season 3, Every Mother's Child

Season 4, A Doll's Eyes

and especially

Season 6, Subway

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subway_..._on_the_Street)

If you still find it boring... so be it. There's no law that says we have to like the same things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 01:34 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,622,240 times

The Wire Clip: Omar "It's all in the game" - YouTube

Old 08-16-2012, 05:55 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,554,110 times
Omar and bunk where my favorite characters

Old 08-16-2012, 09:50 PM

I hate to bring politics into this thread, but watching every episode of the The Wire should be requirement for all conservative politicians.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:35 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,682,794 times

Old 08-17-2012, 05:53 PM

1,280 posts, read 2,443,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
The end of the Barksdale crew was the result of Stringer go the exact opposite of what he was trying to tell Boddie. The downfall came when he crossed Brother Muzone and the torture murder of Brandon, Omar's lover and henchman.

Marlo could have had all the corners in all of Baltimore but had Stringer lived, besides being out of the "Game" the Barksdales and Prop Joe would have completely controlled the wholesale market which Marlo would have to depend on.

Of course Avon was a major knuckle head so in the end it wouldn't have mattered one way or another.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
This was beginning of the end for the Barksdale crew imo.
I do understand where stringer was coming from but he had it wrong!
His actions allowed Marlo to take over.

The Wire - Do the chair know we gonna look like some pu - YouTube

Stringers downfall was the fact that he was trying to change the game; and the whole theme of the series was the players may change, but the game is the game. He tried to bring a business approach to it, but the second Clay Davis robbed him, he tried to order Slim Charles to kill him; because that's the way the game is played.. Always has been, always will be. And all of Strings old dirt, came back on him..

The Wire - Stringer Orders Slim Charles To Hit Somebody - YouTube

Old 08-17-2012, 05:57 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,031,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I hate to bring politics into this thread, but watching every episode of the The Wire should be requirement for all conservative politicians.
Agree, but most would find some way to rationalize out of any sympathy or responsibility.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Agree, but most would find some way to rationalize out of any sympathy or responsibility.
You know when I wrote that I had to think to myself, yeah when it comes to understanding the criminal mentality of the inner city, conservatives need to watch the Wire, but then again I thought that its not just conservatives who need to watch, but big city liberals should take serious note as well regarding corruption and money in politics. For all the complaints about the federal government, nothing it dirtier than municipal politics.

On the other hand, David Simon just posted a blast at Mitt Romney,

David Simon | Mitt Romney paid taxes at a rate of at least 13 percent. And he’s proud to say so.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Triny33 View Post
Stringers downfall was the fact that he was trying to change the game;
If that is the case, then Stringer, Omar, Prop Joe, Cheese, Weebe, Snook and everybody else's downfall began the minute the got into "The Game". Even if you review the history of the Italian Mafia, you can count on one hand the number of Mafioso who even changing the nature of there business were able to survive the criminal life.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:56 PM

What a testament to the show that is can still be the basis of conversation and review four years after going off the air. I think that justifies the Wire being one of top shows of all time although someone needs to tell TV Guide who still haven't figured it out.

TV Guide's 100 Greatest Episodes of All-Time - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV