Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 10:29 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
But my wife is jonesing for cable pretty hard.
I think men and women watch TV differently. Men are much more likely to be willing to wait for a year to watch a TV show to save a bundle of money, but women get very fixed on seeing a show when it is first aired.

I am speaking in generalizations, and certainly there are many exceptions, but statistically women are far less likely to want to give up on cable TV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 11:08 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,096,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
I think men and women watch TV differently. Men are much more likely to be willing to wait for a year to watch a TV show to save a bundle of money, but women get very fixed on seeing a show when it is first aired.

I am speaking in generalizations, and certainly there are many exceptions, but statistically women are far less likely to want to give up on cable TV.
I say I can give it up but probably couldn't. My wife says no flat out, even though she says I watch too many shows.

Old 12-07-2013, 04:33 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post

Getting to all the programs you want takes quite a bit of fiddling from the Internet. Some are on Netflix, some are on Hulu Plus, some you have to go to the network sites, for some you use the remote, for some you use the computer, and some of her favorite programs (she's a Food Network and Animal Network person) are just not there. The fiddling reaches an annoying level even for me, and I'm a nerd.

With cable, I set up the DVR to record what she likes, and for her it's a one-stop shop.

Old 12-07-2013, 05:12 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Getting to all the programs you want takes quite a bit of fiddling from the Internet.

I am puzzled why there is not greater cooperation with video on the internet. Take Aereo TV for instance. They pick up the signal from the air, and sell internet access to the OTA channels, plus 20 hours of DVR time for about $8 / month. They are successfully defending themselves in court by arguing that the mini half inch antennas are individually assigned (as well as DVR device) and that this is not re-transmission.

What I don't understand is why the local stations don't simply offer the same service themselves in some cooperative venture. If it is profitable to take the signal out of the air and resell it, then the TV networks should be able to make a profit the same way.

You should be able to make an interface that is no more difficult than using a TV remote.

Old 12-07-2013, 08:38 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,190,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
My netflix keeps quitting on me and I can't figure out why. Amazon seems to work fine, other than i can't find anything I want to watch
I have that problem about once a month have to call them they walk me through resetting my account.

Old 12-08-2013, 02:10 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
I have that problem about once a month have to call them they walk me through resetting my account.
I've never had problems with either netflix or amazon freezing up, but hulu randomly freezes up and has to be restarted. I don't look at it much as a result. I don't think its the modem taking a vacation since it only happens with hulu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV