Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 09:32 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,880,620 times

Advertisements

The Bonnie & Clyde miniseries premiered Sunday night on History, A&E, Lifetime...Anyone watch it? I thought it was pretty awful, acting wooden, mostly boring, too much gratuitous sex, and seemed to glorify these two criminals. I remember the 1967 movie, and my Mom, who grew up in northeast Texas, telling me everyone was terrified of those two.

Anyway, conclusion tonight.

‘Bonnie & Clyde’ Review — Emile Hirsch & Holliday Grainger’s TV Movie - Hollywood Life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 10:10 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,240,868 times
I watched just over an hour of it and couldn't figure out why it needed to be aired on 3 channels. I found it utterly boring, slow rolling and the acting did nothing for me.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:12 AM

956 posts, read 745,592 times
Didn't know what to watch last night between Naked and Afraid, Finding Bigfoot or this. I chose Bonnie and Clyde, now have to watch again tonight. Not bad, not good.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:16 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,036,530 times
I liked the cars. So did Dad. That's about it.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:17 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,289,197 times
I love the old movie. It's brilliant. I didn't catch the TV movie. But I've never understood the desire to romanticize these two "outlaws." They were both really horrible people.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:32 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,059,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I love the old movie. It's brilliant. I didn't catch the TV movie. But I've never understood the desire to romanticize these two "outlaws." They were both really horrible people.
I also enjoyed the movie with Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway; and Hollywood makes them appear as not so bad...yeah, right.

I forgot about last night's telecast, but after reading the negative reviews, I didn't miss much.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:00 AM

3,859 posts, read 3,048,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
I also enjoyed the movie with Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway; and Hollywood makes them appear as not so bad...yeah, right.

I forgot about last night's telecast, but after reading the negative reviews, I didn't miss much.
It was fine. There wasn't anything negative about it.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:49 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,334,293 times
I didn't watch it because I was reading and didn't want to put the book down.

The Dunaway/Beaty movie was filmed in this part of north Texas because this is where B&C were most active. So, I've seen a few of the banks they robbed. I also read a biography of Clyde years ago.

These were not nice people. They were vicious and greedy. This part of the state was terrorized by them back in the day. My mother has told me things over the years about how everyone was so scared of them. They would roll into a small town, rob the bank and then start shooting for no reason. They were not celebrities. They were thugs.

The movie from the 60s was well done but it also tended to glorify the Barrow Gang with that "up-close-and-personal" theme. Honestly, it would be hard to make a movie about them that was as good as the original. I do plan to watch this new one at some point in time. I already know the ending.

Old 12-09-2013, 02:05 PM

568 posts, read 962,567 times
Geared for late teens and early 20 something's....that was wasted time in my life spent that I will never get back!

Old 12-09-2013, 04:35 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,582,279 times
I watched most of it. It was just ok. I agree that the sex scenes went on a little long!

It's another project that glamorizes what they did (was Bonnie always perfectly made up? I don't think so). I've seen the Beatty/Dunaway version many times, but still really didn't know much about them until I looked them up last night. They number of people they killed (many, many lawmen) was astounding! It's also not really known if Bonnie did any of the shooting, although she did pose with guns in their photos. They also robbed many grocery stores, but we usually only see them robbing banks.

Maybe someday they'll make a version that's a little grittier and truer to the story.

One thing -- I just kept "seeing" Leonardo DiCaprio playing Clyde -- really reminded me of his Titanic role.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV