Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 10:09 AM

6,125 posts, read 7,480,245 times

Advertisements

A&E needs the Duck Dynasty show much worse than the stars of the show need A&E. I predict that all the stars will decide to walk away from the show. I'm hoping that something in their contract prevents A&E from running the shows that have already been done, but I doubt there is. Lastly, I'm hoping that A&E is sued for mega millions based on A&E preventing freedom of speech...when the FOS wasn't even made on, or about, A&E.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:18 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,325,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
A&E needs the Duck Dynasty show much worse than the stars of the show need A&E. I predict that all the stars will decide to walk away from the show. I'm hoping that something in their contract prevents A&E from running the shows that have already been done, but I doubt there is. Lastly, I'm hoping that A&E is sued for mega millions based on A&E preventing freedom of speech...when the FOS wasn't even made on, or about, A&E.

How did they prevent freedom of speech? That makes no sense.

The guy said what he said.

The company did what they did.

Both were well within their rights.

If I showed up at work this morning and said to my boss "Hey guy, you are a fat piece of garbage" I am not going to be arrested for that. But I sure as hell could be fired for it.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:31 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,257,291 times
One of the conditions of Duck Dynasty was that Phil Robertson was allowed to openly display his Christian faith. For example, at the end of each episode the entire family gathers around the dinner table for a word of grace. The media knows his stance, and GQ knowingly put him in an awkward position. First it was Paula Deen's insensitive racial remarks (from two decades ago) that got her off the air from the Food Network, and now the future of Duck Dynasty is in jeopardy because Phil Robertson stuck to his guns, said he disagreed with the GLBT lifestyle (he never said anything about having problems with them as PEOPLE), and quoted Scripture to back his argument, when he could have just as easily lied to the interviewer and said he fully supported the GLBT lifestyle. Either way, his reputation would take a hit, but at least he took the honest route.

The media is liberal, so having one less conservative Christian off the air means less competition for them. The sad thing is, Phil doesn't even really care about the show. All he needed was one good reason to walk away, and GQ interview and subsequent suspension by A&E is just that. Yes, it'll be a disappointment for millions of viewers, but I think DD is done.

At the end of the day, it's little more than a cultural conflict between the South and the rest of the country. These Southern stars are being vilified because of their faith and the era they grew up in. They're not bad people. They're humans too, and just like everyone else, are far from perfect.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
One of the conditions of Duck Dynasty was that Phil Robertson was allowed to openly display his Christian faith. For example, at the end of each episode the entire family gathers around the dinner table for a word of grace. The media knows his stance, and GQ knowingly put him in an awkward position. First it was Paula Deen's insensitive racial remarks (from two decades ago) that got her off the air from the Food Network, and now the future of Duck Dynasty is in jeopardy because Phil Robertson stuck to his guns, said he disagreed with the GLBT lifestyle (he never said anything about having problems with them as PEOPLE), and quoted Scripture to back his argument, when he could have just as easily lied to the interviewer and said he fully supported the GLBT lifestyle. Either way, his reputation would take a hit, but at least he took the honest route.

The media is liberal, so having one less conservative Christian off the air means less competition for them. The sad thing is, Phil doesn't even really care about the show. All he needed was one good reason to walk away, and GQ interview and subsequent suspension by A&E is just that. Yes, it'll be a disappointment for millions of viewers, but I think DD is done.

At the end of the day, it's little more than a cultural conflict between the South and the rest of the country. These Southern stars are being vilified because of their faith and the era they grew up in. They're not bad people. They're humans too, and just like everyone else, are far from perfect.
Speaking as someone who is of the Christian Faith, I find it highly insulting that the idea of comparing homosexuality to beastiality has anything to do with Christianity. In other words, Robertson was speaking for himself, not Christians.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:01 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,257,291 times
The beastiality comment was all him, yes, but what he said about homosexuals, drunks, cheaters, and adulterers (being denied entry to Heaven) can be found in the Bible.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:03 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,246,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rob123 View Post
Speaking as someone who is of the Christian Faith, I find it highly insulting that the idea of comparing homosexuality to beastiality has anything to do with Christianity. In other words, Robertson was speaking for himself, not Christians.
That's not what he did. He was talking about what he believes (or what the Bible says) is a sin.

Sarah Palin, Gov. Jindal, 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Phil Robertson's suspension by A&E | Fox News

Robertson referenced the Bible when talking to GQ about his thoughts about homosexuality and sinning.

“Everything is blurred on what’s right and what’s wrong... Sin becomes fine,” he said. “Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men.”

Old 12-19-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
The beastiality comment was all him, yes, but what he said about homosexuals, drunks, cheaters, and adulterers (being denied entry to Heaven) can be found in the Bible.
There are plenty of people within the Christian community who do not believe that homosexuals are going to be denied entry into Heaven. Matter of fact, I'd suggest that save for a small but very vocal minority, that would cover most Christians.
So again, my initial point is that he is speaking for himself, not Christians. With how many denominations, interpretations, & versions out there, nobody could speak for an entire group of people as large as all Christians, or more to the point of what was said "The Christian Faith"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
“Everything is blurred on what’s right and what’s wrong... Sin becomes fine,” he said. “Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men.”
Okay, I apologize. He did not compare homosexuality with bestiality, apparently. He said that you start with homosexual behavior and "just morph out from there" then he listed, I presume as an example of morphing out from homosexuality, Bestiality. I don't think it's a huge jump to conclude that he was suggesting it was on the same level.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:23 AM

I guess my main point here is, and I'd ask this of anyone who is upset over his suspension:

Do you think A&E was within their rights to suspend him?
And 2 follow ups, whether your answer is yes or no, Why?

And if your answer is No they did not have the right to suspend him, who should be in charge of overseeing a private company's hiring, firing and suspending practices?

Old 12-19-2013, 11:29 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,419,666 times
Yes they were within their rights. The show is their product they can do with it as they wish. I think its all publicity and there will be some big drama a few episodes in and hell be back. Huge ratings booster. That's how reality shows work, controversy to get the masses all in a knot and watching.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:39 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,246,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rob123 View Post
There are plenty of people within the Christian community who do not believe that homosexuals are going to be denied entry into Heaven. Matter of fact, I'd suggest that save for a small but very vocal minority, that would cover most Christians.
So again, my initial point is that he is speaking for himself, not Christians. With how many denominations, interpretations, & versions out there, nobody could speak for an entire group of people as large as all Christians, or more to the point of what was said "The Christian Faith"

Okay, I apologize. He did not compare homosexuality with bestiality, apparently. He said that you start with homosexual behavior and "just morph out from there" then he listed, I presume as an example of morphing out from homosexuality, Bestiality. I don't think it's a huge jump to conclude that he was suggesting it was on the same level.
I think he's referring only from a sin perspective, and again, only in his opinion. He sees all of that as a sin. A sin is a sin--I don't think they have a ranking LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV