Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2014, 06:32 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,281,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
My goodness that was really an awful thing to say....I'm shocked?
Perhaps, but it was my opinion and I'm sticking to it. I find gimmicks to be insulting to intelligent audiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 06:38 AM

28,928 posts, read 30,291,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonCountyLiving View Post
Perhaps, but it was my opinion and I'm sticking to it. I find gimmicks to be insulting to intelligent audiences.
well, yes, you are certainly allowed your opionion....but they've gotta create all these gimmicks to keep the story going...otherwise the writters would run out of new ideas to take off on. For instance, the last two episodes of Walking Dead were not that good....just kind of fill ins...

and for me, I do so love sci fi....

but I wouldn't be so quick to label these gimmicks as you call them to lure in unintelligent low life audieances...for instance, take those professional movie critiques....I used to listen to them and not go to movies they didn't like, well, let me tell you, when I finally viewed the movie, I thought, "What could they be thinking"? I loved the movie....it is all about what your likes and dislikes are...doesn't make you less intelligent...

sorry, but that is my opinion, hope you don't mind.

Old 03-12-2014, 06:51 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,680,438 times
I don't like sci-fi, supernatural stuff. If it goes in that direction, I'll simply stop watching. Stories have to be at least somewhat possible to keep me liking them.

And not a single one of us knows for sure what happens to us when we die, or even if we really ever do die. We fear death because we know nothing about it. Humans are said to have souls. Where do they go? Do they just stick around and haunt people? Go to Heaven? Go to China? Your guess is as good as mine.

Old 03-12-2014, 07:00 AM

28,928 posts, read 30,291,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
I don't like sci-fi, supernatural stuff. If it goes in that direction, I'll simply stop watching. Stories have to be at least somewhat possible to keep me liking them.

And not a single one of us knows for sure what happens to us when we die, or even if we really ever do die. We fear death because we know nothing about it. Humans are said to have souls. Where do they go? Do they just stick around and haunt people? Go to Heaven? Go to China? Your guess is as good as mine.
LOL, I liked this....tried to give you reps, but you know the story....lol

Old 03-12-2014, 07:40 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,898,651 times
Quote:
Yes, but if, just if, he was Barbara's lover, he could also be Maggie's father. It would be a fun twist.

The guy in the piano picture had a heavier face than hoodie guy.

Let's see.....Jacob has been dead for 32 years. Elaine had 19 years with her father before he died. She's Maggie's best friend so obviously roughly the same age. So hoodie guy has been dead for 13 years. Why did they make him look so evil, stalking around the place?
I didn't think he looked evil.

He's an adult, and he traveled to get to Arcadia, so he already knew that years had passed. He doesn't know if his daughter lives in the same place, doesn't know what he's going to find when he gets to Arcadia. So it makes sense to scope things out before knocking on people's doors. Jacob didn't really have a sense that years had gone by, he only realized that his parents looked different, older. And he is a child, so his mind is more flexible about accepting things he doesn't understand.

What if you woke up tomorrow and discovered that a couple of decades had slipped by. I know I'd be pretty freaked out. I think hoodie guy's behavior is pretty reasonable.

There are two different narratives going on here. There's the reactions of Jacob's parents and family and the community to dead people coming back, but there's also the feelings and reactions of the dead people to what is a very changed world.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:25 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,043,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I disagree with you about the preacher. The reason he said the preacher wasn't who he said he was is that the preacher's name is the same as his childhood friend. He didn't know his childhood friend as an adult and would expect him to be the same age still. So to him, it couldn't be his best friend. That's why he said "no you're not" when told the preacher's name.
This is what I thought as well. Jacob doesn't know 32 years have passed.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:51 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,447,098 times
One thing (among many) that I wondered was why Jacob never changed out of his red shirt. He was wearing it when he woke up in the rice paddy, when he had the seizure, when he was in the hospital, when he went to church, etc. Did any of you notice that?

I read some reviews of this show on another site and someone there pointed out that Bruce Willis (who, as it turned out, was dead) never changed out of his clothes in The Sixth Sense.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:06 AM

182 posts, read 94,412 times
I was hesitant to watch this show because my son passed away at the age of 12 and the previews hurt me too much. Every time a preview came on I had to change the channel because all I ever would want is for my son to return. I did however tape the show and last night decided to watch it. It was ok, there were parts that bothered me and brought tears to my eyes but all in all it seemed like it might be a good show.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:57 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,238,514 times
Quote:

I believe he's been dead all this time but don't know where the sheriff hid his body after he died. I don't have enough imagination to factor in China. .....

Maybe it has something to do with when we were kids we were told if we dug straight down, we would dig to China? lol/

Old 03-12-2014, 10:30 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,680,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
One thing (among many) that I wondered was why Jacob never changed out of his red shirt. He was wearing it when he woke up in the rice paddy, when he had the seizure, when he was in the hospital, when he went to church, etc. Did any of you notice that?

I read some reviews of this show on another site and someone there pointed out that Bruce Willis (who, as it turned out, was dead) never changed out of his clothes in The Sixth Sense.
I noticed it and it annoyed me. Even when he was in the hospital, and after he was released, the same red shirt.

It's been too long since I watched Sixth Sense to have made the connection. Something new to worry about now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashelly View Post
Maybe it has something to do with when we were kids we were told if we dug straight down, we would dig to China? lol/
Well, thanks for clearing that up.

lolol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV