Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 08:08 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,271,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
How do you survive the commercials?
It is getting so ridiculous, they are taking up more and more time in a show that I have vowed never to buy anything that most are advertising. It is even getting to the point of getting angry to have to stop and fast forward!
At this time I can still afford to pay for the DVR to record but when the day comes that I can't, I really wonder how a person can survive sitting through endless commercials or will we be forced to just quit watching TV?
I remember when there would be a few commercials then back to the show but now they are bordering on torture!
I really feel like writing to the networks to say I will never buy anything you are advertising because you are driving me crazy with your endless commercials.
Sorry for the rant but really want to know how to survive them without a DVR.
I agree--commercials are torture. If we want to watch something the same night it is on--like Friday nights--we are addicted to Shark Tank and Grimm, we wait until 20 minutes into the show so we can go straight through. The only time I see commercials is when we're watching live news. It wouldn't be so bad if they made better commercials, but the medical and drug commercials are so horrendous--we have to change the channel until they are over. I love watching the awards shows like the Oscars live, but then we have to watch the commercials. It's amazing how intolerant you become of commercials when you get used to not having to watch them. Love Netflix--there aren't even promos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 08:16 AM

26,746 posts, read 26,834,489 times
Quote:
You said it. One reason I rarely watch TV. We watched the Beatles special and could not believe the number of commercials, how inane they were, how long they were, and how much they were repeated.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:34 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,988,165 times
I still use a VCR if I want to record and FF through commercials.

I have a Digital TV converter hooked up to the VCR it so it can receive free broadcast digital channels using an HDTV antenna.

If I decide to watch a show without recording it first, I just hit the MUTE button during commercials.

As long as I'm not hearing them, they don't bother me.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:52 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
I don't have DVR. Like others mentioned, I get stuff done during commercials. No DVR helps me be less of a couch potato

Old 03-02-2014, 10:30 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,515,458 times
You must be fairly young. TV has always had commercials. we didn't have DVRs growing up. Just deal with it or do something else during the commercials. It's not big deal.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:51 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times
Quote:
It is getting so ridiculous, they are taking up more and more time in a show that I have vowed never to buy anything that most are advertising. It is even getting to the point of getting angry to have to stop and fast forward!
At this time I can still afford to pay for the DVR to record but when the day comes that I can't, I really wonder how a person can survive sitting through endless commercials or will we be forced to just quit watching TV?
I remember when there would be a few commercials then back to the show but now they are bordering on torture!
I really feel like writing to the networks to say I will never buy anything you are advertising because you are driving me crazy with your endless commercials.
Sorry for the rant but really want to know how to survive them without a DVR.

I have my laptop in front of me when I watch TV so when the commercials come on I just go to facebook and chat. And I personally think DVR's are a waste of money but that's just me.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:55 AM

1,205 posts, read 2,690,860 times
I never really watch tv anymore, I only stream shows on my computer or at school between classes on my tablet.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:08 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,468,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
Channel surfing, going to the bathroom, talking to others, browsing the web on my phone ... those are the main ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Pretty much. I'm not going to pay more for a DVR, and since I don't have one I guess I don't know what I'm missing. So during commercials I put the laundry in the dryer or get a glass of water or I just sit there and watch them until the show comes back on. It's not really that big of a deal.

What they ^ said, after looking at the cost of DVR's, it's just simpler more cost and time effective for chepo me to not worry over it. I'm thinking I might even work in an exercise routine for some of those empty minutes in the near future, I've done so in past.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:10 PM

1,548 posts, read 913,991 times
I don't have a DVR I have a VCR so yeah I FF commercials. I've reached the point where I cannot watch TV "live" anymore. Commercials drive me friggin nuts.

Old 03-02-2014, 01:06 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,730,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
Channel surfing, going to the bathroom, talking to others, browsing the web on my phone ... those are the main ones.
You cant even channel surf through the commercials most of the time. The networks all schedule them at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV