Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2014, 01:45 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
So I don't think they will all be together on the road this season. My guess is the second half will be on the road to DC. Next season they will be there....
Why would they still go to DC? What purpose would it serve?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 01:53 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times
I thought last nights episode was a complete snooze-fest, though I imagine those who enjoy character development liked it....

What was it exactly? Carol and Daryl roaming around trying to figure out what was going on. That was about it, if you don't count the internal struggle between the characters. What significant piece of the puzzle did last nights episode solve exactly? It explained how Carol ended up in the hospital (which was kind of cheesy ) and it connected Noah to the group. That's about all it accomplished.... The only thing I really liked about it was that we got to spend some time in an urban environment for once, instead of woods and vegetation.

Thirdly, I'm about this ( - ) close to quitting watching Talking Dead.... As I've said before, I'm so tired of Hardwick and guests trying to fix everybody up with somebody. This isn't a **** romance novel people!!!! They kept asking who would be the better companion for Beth....this guy, or that guy....blah blah blah.... Let me ask, why does Beth have to "end up" with ANYBODY????? They keep talking about it as if it's going to happen, and the only question is when, and with who? I really almost wish they'd red shirt her just so we quit hearing about it. I was also glad that at least half the viewers have the good sense to know that Carol and Daryl "hooking up" would be completely ridiculous, and a little creepy and weird imo.

Old 11-18-2014, 06:26 AM

364 posts, read 1,080,681 times
They're following the same setup as last season, which was a bore. The only good episodes are the 1st, mid season finale and season finale. The rest are boring and nothing happens. Guess they're just dragging this show on...

Old 11-18-2014, 06:59 AM

302 posts, read 1,156,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
As I said last week.. There's levels of 'suspend disbelief'..

The van landing on tires and the 'glass in the fuel' from last week were just total BS. That's the kid taking 3 cookies before dinner.. This is where you cross the line from 'suspend disbelief' into cartoonish things. I'm not watching a cartoon. And.. one more thing to point out.. Did anyone notice that apparently Daryl's airbag deployed after the fall in the van? Guess that's why Carol was hurt? No passenger airbag? If someone rewatches.. see if the drivers airbag is deployed before the fall.. Because it sure is afterwards. Personally.. I think it's more believable that the van lands nose first (which would have happened) then falls back on the tires, and they survive.
Not to mention the fire truck water cannon operating without the engine, hence pump running.

Or let's go back one before that when the lady cop hits Beth with the picture frame. Clearly a right hook, to the left side of her face. But, very next scene the doctor is stitching up the right side of her face.

Yeah, that van scene was a disaster. The editing was just poor.

No, the airbags were not deployed pre-fall. Upon landing, both driver and passenger airbag were deployed. In order to have airbags deploy, the key would have to be switch to the run position (which it appears to be already). But, as Carol stated earlier when they spotted the van from the building: "it's been there a while." Sitting there with the key turned, that battery would've been drained completely.

All 3 bridge guardrails were clearly unbolted and there wasn't ANY damage on the front of that van pre-fall. Had it collided with the guardrail, they would've been bent/snapped/twisted, and the van would've had heavy damage and airbags would've most likely deployed then.
We all saw it falling onto it's roof, then all the sudden it's on it's wheels. That's the glaring error we saw.

But beyond that, some continuity discrepencies:

The madonna on the dashboard and rearview mirror both disappear and reappear during different cuts of that scene.

Crane camera (through windshield) shows Daryl with both hands on dash, bracing for fall. Cut to camera inside van and his left hand is on the A pillar. Whoops!

Ya'll catch Daryl's magic pillow? The plaid one on the bottom bunkbed. It's next to his left arm in it's original position when he sits down. Cut to Carol laying down next to him (What happened to her insisitance that he sleep while she takes the first watch?) and the pillow is next to her, behind him.

Don't get me wrong, I really have enjoyed the show over the seasons, but there are some things that are just glaring goofs. It's becoming noticebly careless. I can suspend reality for the zombies, but get the technicalities of the reality we are all familiar with right. Make their tribulations real.

You see how the ceiling tiles in the buildings are simply pushed up and askew? What, did someone look around in the ceiling, hoping to find stashed supplies? Decay, water leaks, weather, (which I suppose their trying to indicate) would have them falling down. Compare the hospital in the first season to these.

I don't know. Guess this episode and the previous felt like the production was poorly handled. Like it was handed off to some B crew and stuffed with flashback filler. Probably already shot and leftover scenes from earlier episodes.

In season 1, (or early in 2?) the group used a cargo van to load everyone in and escape Atlanta. Now, I'm supposing they'll probably load the group back into it and invade Atlanta. I don't know if that's coming full circle symbolically, or the storyline just going in circles.

Move the story along, don't treat the viewers like dummies.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:04 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,388,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
As I said last week.. There's levels of 'suspend disbelief'..

I can get over some of the vehicle stuff.. Yes, a car is occasionally required to move the plot along.. Though.. It seems there's been 4 or 5 in the past 3 episodes. I call them on the fact that they're finding all these vehicles and they start right up.. But, that's like calling a kid on eating a cookie before dinner. You know, it's not the end of the world, but you call them on it so that they don't eat 15 cookies before dinner. Not that I think the writers actually read these posts, but..

The van landing on tires and the 'glass in the fuel' from last week were just total BS. That's the kid taking 3 cookies before dinner.. This is where you cross the line from 'suspend disbelief' into cartoonish things. I'm not watching a cartoon. And.. one more thing to point out.. Did anyone notice that apparently Daryl's airbag deployed after the fall in the van? Guess that's why Carol was hurt? No passenger airbag? If someone rewatches.. see if the drivers airbag is deployed before the fall.. Because it sure is afterwards. Personally.. I think it's more believable that the van lands nose first (which would have happened) then falls back on the tires, and they survive.

When things like that are in a good episode, as I consider "Consumed" to be.. They are far less annoying than they are in 'bad' episodes, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be called out on them. I mean, TS-19 was one of the top episodes of the series.. But, we could spend days on the technical blunders on that episode. The massive explosion that people 10 feet away from the building were unaffected by.. The blast-resistant windows that withstood multiple gunshots and axe attacks, but a single fragmentation grenade blows them out.. The fact that they made it from many stories underground out of the building in under 2 minutes.. But.. Even with all that.. great episode.

TWD does want to be, at times, much like Lost or even The Sopranos.. Where they want every scene analyzed for clues.. If you do that.. Then you have to be prepared for when people call you on the mistakes that are made.

We don't know how much time has elapsed between when they FIND a vehicle and then actually get it to START. I don't want 10-15 minutes of an episode wasted on scrounging for the vehicle and then doing what is necessary to get it started. That has already been done with Merle hot-wiring the Impala for the trip with Michone back to Woodbury and Dale constantly working on his RV to keep it running.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:19 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
What significant piece of the puzzle did last nights episode solve exactly? It explained how Carol ended up in the hospital (which was kind of cheesy ) and it connected Noah to the group. That's about all it accomplished....
Carol and Daryl learned where Beth is. That was the whole point of them following the car with the cross on the window. That was one of the significant turning points for this season.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:28 AM

5,520 posts, read 7,112,574 times
When was the last time we saw Rick, Carl and Michonne?

If there are only two episodes left and they spend one of them on Abe, Glenn, Maggie and those other losers I am going to be pi$$ed!

Old 11-18-2014, 07:30 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,161,917 times
Snoozer... very slow. We're in the hospital, we're out of the hospital, we're walking around, we're suddenly back in a random part of the hospital. We talk in hoarse whispers and flash back to Carol scenes. Did we need to see her crying in the car alone after she left Rick? I think we all assumed the post-apocalyptic life is pretty emotionally rough.

It was like a bad Seinfeld episode where you know the random story lines are going to eventually somehow meet up in the end. Carol gets hit my a car, that's how she ended up in the hospital, we needed 60 minutes of roaming around to get that? With so few episodes it sure does feel like a lot of filler episodes of 5 minutes of action and 50 minutes of contemplating life...

Old 11-18-2014, 07:36 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintCabbage View Post
Snoozer... very slow. We're in the hospital, we're out of the hospital, we're walking around, we're suddenly back in a random part of the hospital.
Nobody was in the hospital this week. They were in buildings nearby.

Old 11-18-2014, 08:08 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,547,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
When was the last time we saw Rick, Carl and Michonne?

If there are only two episodes left and they spend one of them on Abe, Glenn, Maggie and those other losers I am going to be pi$$ed!
I agree. In retrospect though I looked at the number of episodes last season for say a mega production like Game of Thrones - they only had 10. I guess we should consider ourselves fortunate that we have 16. But still it feels like with these shows there's a lot more waiting than viewing. I guess the angst is part of the equation in making it so desirable.

wE HAVE LOST to thank for that (LOST was classic for ticking you off so much but always watched every episode with heart palpitations lol).

Last edited by Miker2069; 11-18-2014 at 08:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV