Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2017, 03:59 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,954,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyosa View Post
Rick does not want to be the leader. They see/want him as their leader. So blame the survivors LOL!!
I have to disagree. From season 1 Rick has always made the decisions for the group. He put himself in leadership role. I think in the beginning they may have seen him as leader, but I think they have all grown in their own ways and feel much differently now than when they met Rick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 04:19 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
I have to disagree. From season 1 Rick has always made the decisions for the group. He put himself in leadership role. I think in the beginning they may have seen him as leader, but I think they have all grown in their own ways and feel much differently now than when they met Rick.
Yes. Rick's leadership role to me was born out of his rivalry with Shane. It all really gelled when Rick took him out.

Old 04-04-2017, 04:36 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,618,718 times
There would be no "leaders" of anything in a world like that, except for small nomadic groups.

Again, read (and watch) Cormac McCarthy's The Road.

Old 04-04-2017, 05:20 PM

133 posts, read 90,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
There would be no "leaders" of anything in a world like that, except for small nomadic groups.

I watch the movie version of it. That's the movie about a father and son right? That is just the saddest movie and my interpretation of the ending is that the couple are cannibals.

Only, in TWD world, leaders of the group is a must. ALL the surviving groups/ community have their leaders. And unfortunately there's always a group who are bunch of dicks, who have leaders, who are bigger dicks. Ugh.

And honestly, even in the comics that is what Rick's group are against. Instead of helping each other kill zombies and live in unity. TWD comics and TV show and even that book and movie. There are a-holes that make it harder for you to survive in an already unsurvivable world! Ugh.

Here's the catch, it IS a reality. Just look at self sufficiency thread. ON the apocalypse scenario thread. Many of them have no qualms killing people to survive by killing them then taking their stuff much like Negan's group is doing. And the governor, and the future enemies of Rick's group. It is the saddest thing.

It is shocking to read how many poster in self sufficiency thread see apocalypse as license to kill. WTF is wrong with some people for real.

Old 04-04-2017, 06:22 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:

The idea that a post-apocalyptic world would be this way or that is silly. None of us know. Indeed, given that we don't even know just how many survivors there are and the dynamics of the spread (the show gives incomplete glimpses), there's no way to even claim that what is depicted is out of whack with the fictional world created in the comics and/or series.

As for McCarthy, as an author he leaves me in utter awe. The Road and Blood Meridian are two of the finest novels I've ever read. But the former is hardly perfect. Here's a couple of examples:

*In the novel, flashbacks reveal that the apocalypse begins suddenly and without warning. Its source is not identified, but in an interview McCarthy has stated that it was a comet impacting Earth. The problem is that comets are invariably discovered by amateur astronomers, usually multiple ones, with one getting official credit because they report it to the IAU before anyone else (usually just before others - there are so many amateur stargazers that as soon as they're visible to the best amateur scopes, they are seen by numerous skywatchers). Yet in the book, the impact is a surprise. Either no one saw it (comets are normally tens of millions to hundreds of millions of miles from Earth, and months from entering the inner Solar System, when they're discovered) or it was covered up. Given the visibility of comets from so far away, and the countless amateurs watching the skies, neither is possible.

*Also, the boy was born after the apocalypse and is maybe between the ages of 8 and 10. Yet the skies are still perpetually shrouded in thick clouds (this choking off of sunlight is what has destroyed all plant and animal life by cutting out the basis of the life-cycle). This means the impactor was larger (in order to throw so much debris into orbit) than any that hit Earth in the past (which, obviously, did not destroy all non-human/non-fungi life). Not only does that make its lack of advance discovery all the more implausible, but it suggests that the immediate physical effects of the impact would have been far beyond what is depicted - global earthquakes larger than the largest ever recorded and leveling almost everything, etc.

So don't worship McCarthy on the technical details. His prose is sublime and the mediation on life and death and hope more than earned its Pulitzer Prize for Literature, in my humble opinion. But he gets some of the scientific underpinnings wrong. I don't think these facts detract at all from his literature. They just illustrate that citing him on 'how things would happen' is misguided.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:50 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
The idea that a post-apocalyptic world would be this way or that is silly. None of us know. Indeed, given that we don't even know just how many survivors there are and the dynamics of the spread (the show gives incomplete glimpses), there's no way to even claim that what is depicted is out of whack with the fictional world created in the comics and/or series.

As for McCarthy, as an author he leaves me in utter awe. The Road and Blood Meridian are two of the finest novels I've ever read. But the former is hardly perfect. Here's a couple of examples:

*In the novel, flashbacks reveal that the apocalypse begins suddenly and without warning. Its source is not identified, but in an interview McCarthy has stated that it was a comet impacting Earth. The problem is that comets are invariably discovered by amateur astronomers, usually multiple ones, with one getting official credit because they report it to the IAU before anyone else (usually just before others - there are so many amateur stargazers that as soon as they're visible to the best amateur scopes, they are seen by numerous skywatchers). Yet in the book, the impact is a surprise. Either no one saw it (comets are normally tens of millions to hundreds of millions of miles from Earth, and months from entering the inner Solar System, when they're discovered) or it was covered up. Given the visibility of comets from so far away, and the countless amateurs watching the skies, neither is possible.

*Also, the boy was born after the apocalypse and is maybe between the ages of 8 and 10. Yet the skies are still perpetually shrouded in thick clouds (this choking off of sunlight is what has destroyed all plant and animal life by cutting out the basis of the life-cycle). This means the impactor was larger (in order to throw so much debris into orbit) than any that hit Earth in the past (which, obviously, did not destroy all non-human/non-fungi life). Not only does that make its lack of advance discovery all the more implausible, but it suggests that the immediate physical effects of the impact would have been far beyond what is depicted - global earthquakes larger than the largest ever recorded and leveling almost everything, etc.

So don't worship McCarthy on the technical details. His prose is sublime and the mediation on life and death and hope more than earned its Pulitzer Prize for Literature, in my humble opinion. But he gets some of the scientific underpinnings wrong. I don't think these facts detract at all from his literature. They just illustrate that citing him on 'how things would happen' is misguided.
the comet could have hit at night, in the dark

Old 04-05-2017, 06:51 AM

9,860 posts, read 7,736,569 times
Quote:

I LOVE end of the world as we know it books and movies and I could barely get through The Road. Hated it. Hated it. Last week I thought I would give it one more shot and watch the movie and I could only last 10 minutes.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:10 AM

9,860 posts, read 7,736,569 times
Quote:
I watch the movie version of it. That's the movie about a father and son right? That is just the saddest movie and my interpretation of the ending is that the couple are cannibals.

Only, in TWD world, leaders of the group is a must. ALL the surviving groups/ community have their leaders. And unfortunately there's always a group who are bunch of dicks, who have leaders, who are bigger dicks. Ugh.

And honestly, even in the comics that is what Rick's group are against. Instead of helping each other kill zombies and live in unity. TWD comics and TV show and even that book and movie. There are a-holes that make it harder for you to survive in an already unsurvivable world! Ugh.

Here's the catch, it IS a reality. Just look at self sufficiency thread. ON the apocalypse scenario thread. Many of them have no qualms killing people to survive by killing them then taking their stuff much like Negan's group is doing. And the governor, and the future enemies of Rick's group. It is the saddest thing.

It is shocking to read how many poster in self sufficiency thread see apocalypse as license to kill. WTF is wrong with some people for real.
In every similar book I've read, leaders do naturally emerge in neighborhoods and towns, usually very quickly. And the criminal/fringe element people find each other, also with a leader, and continue with even more lawlessness as before.

So you've always got the proverbial good vs evil trying to survive the new world plus surviving with/against each other. And on TWD, you just throw in walkers as well to muck things up.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:38 AM

1,081 posts, read 548,908 times
Quote:

Way to misrepresent the self-sufficiency thread. What you revile in others is usually just repressed desires in your own psyche; something to think about.

Read up on countries in conflict. A good example is the siege of Sarajevo. There was a guy that survived it and told his tale. When resources get scarce, people turn to their baser instincts. The only people you can trust are those in your own tribe. I think TWD does a decent job of illustrating this on a small scale.

If you look at the world situation now, we're not talking about invading Syria to save some tribe we only occasionally see on YouTube. We are being paid to open a pipeline for countries in the Gulf States to countries in Western Europe. It's global resource scarcity. We are blowing people up we don't know who can't harm us in order to move resources and get paid. Same thing in TWD when the Survivors agreed to take out the Saviors for Hilltop (and failed miserably.) It's a messed up world, but this is who humans are at their base level.

Old 04-05-2017, 08:46 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,777,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Yes. Rick's leadership role to me was born out of his rivalry with Shane. It all really gelled when Rick took him out.

Exactly. The scene in the clearing when they evacuated the farm and were running low on gas and supplies and just before they found the prison, he basically told everyone if they didn't like the way he was running things, they could leave and that he killed his best friend for all of them.

Nobody left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV