Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 07:23 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,410,470 times

Advertisements

Can't believe I didn't find a post about this yet.

CNN
CNN Espanol
Boomerang
Cartoon Network
TruTV
Turner Classic Movies
HLN

Because they "couldn't" reach an agreement with Time Warner to renew the contract for those channels.

Everybody expects CNN, HLN, and Cartoon Network to be part of their TV package if they have paid for anything over and above their basic network channels (NBC, CBS, FOX, etc.)

Took a bit, but DISH finally got back AMC. That would be totally unacceptable for me, because The Walking Dead is my favorite show.

I guess with a TV company you have to go with the least of all evils in your area.

But DISH's decision-making is ridiculous. And I'm not even aware of inside things that only customers know, such as equipment, customer service, pricing, and things like that.

Oh... and TBS and TNT could be next on the list, their contracts just aren't up yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 07:43 PM

8,070 posts, read 4,745,387 times
Don't assume they've been "done away with" forever. DISH and Turner Networks are just engaging in the same stare-down negotiations that DISH and other satellite TV providers have to engage in every time a contract comes up for renewal. This is not the first time channels have been "suspended" until a deal is reached. No one wins if the channels are not carried--so it's just a matter of who will "blink" in the negotiations.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:37 PM

They shouldn't ever go away. And it's a handful of major channels. What else was there to decide? haha
And at the expense of paying customers.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:48 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,254,427 times
I'm just surprised this is the first we've heard about channels going away in about 6 to 8 months. It happens all the time.. Dish or DirecTV or a cable company gets into a pissing match with someone and channels go away.. Then about a week later they come back.

Seems that the only one you never (or rarely) hear about is ESPN.. The companies seem to realize that if they drop ESPN they'll have a major mutiny on their hands. Though Dish did threaten this last year.

Charter and other companies had a big fight over the NFL Network for a long time.. NFL wanted it on basic cable, Charter wanted to put it on a digital tier..

Old 10-26-2014, 11:47 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times
I have Suddenlink cable and they just lost a half dozen channels in a dispute with Viacom who raised their rates for the Comedy Channel, Nick, TVLand and three others. Suddenlink refused to pay and has substituted six new channels you never heard of except for maybe the Hallmark Mystery Channel which turns out to be all day reruns of "Murder She Wrote" and "Diagnosis Murder", which are the same show...old farts solving homicides. At night and on weekends they run the mystery movies which are blah stories starring blah tv actors.

I didn't spend much time watching any the now lost channels, so I wouldn't have thought much about it at all save for the fact that Suddenlink launched this absurd smoke up the bung hole ad campaign to try and make us believe the new channels came about as a result of viewer demand following a survey. I mean the story of what happened with Viacom was in the news, so these "We responded to our customer request" ads are very much akin to "The Wizard of Oz" when Toto pulls back the curtain and we all see that the wizard is just a guy working a machine. He yanks the curtain back closed, leans into the microphone and intones "Ignore that man behind the curtain!"

Old 10-27-2014, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I have Suddenlink cable and they just lost a half dozen channels in a dispute with Viacom who raised their rates for the Comedy Channel, Nick, TVLand and three others. Suddenlink refused to pay and has substituted six new channels you never heard of except for maybe the Hallmark Mystery Channel which turns out to be all day reruns of "Murder She Wrote" and "Diagnosis Murder", which are the same show...old farts solving homicides. At night and on weekends they run the mystery movies which are blah stories starring blah tv actors.

I didn't spend much time watching any the now lost channels, so I wouldn't have thought much about it at all save for the fact that Suddenlink launched this absurd smoke up the bung hole ad campaign to try and make us believe the new channels came about as a result of viewer demand following a survey. I mean the story of what happened with Viacom was in the news, so these "We responded to our customer request" ads are very much akin to "The Wizard of Oz" when Toto pulls back the curtain and we all see that the wizard is just a guy working a machine. He yanks the curtain back closed, leans into the microphone and intones "Ignore that man behind the curtain!"
Comedy Central you mean? Oh heck no. That's one of my regular channels. I wouldn't have gone for that either, any more than DISH dumping AMC a while ago. Again, my fave show is on AMC.

And even now, I regularly watch CNN, HLN, Cartoon Network, and TruTV that DISH has just dumped. I watch CNN regularly, HLN for news and Forensic Files, TruTV for another of my favorite shows called "Impractical Jokers," and while I don't watch kid cartoons, Cartoon Network has their late-night block of "adult" cartoons and sketch shows that I watch a lot. And I am always watching Turner Classic Movies. Yeah I would probably be heading to Charter, who buys out contracts, if I were a DISH customer right now. (Luckily I am already with Charter.)

Old 10-27-2014, 12:24 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,843,959 times
Im glad cartoon network is gone- that is the stupidest network ever. Its not cartoons, it should be called TEEN network with what they show.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:32 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
Im glad cartoon network is gone- that is the stupidest network ever. Its not cartoons, it should be called TEEN network with what they show.
Then don't watch it. Why would you want to take it away from the ones that do watch it?

Old 10-27-2014, 12:56 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,572,682 times
Directv and our local CBS had a three week long pissing contest this summer that almost ran into Premier week and football season. It was a matter of who blinked first, but truth be told, our CBS affiliate was being very greedy and unrealistic, so they blinked first. Football speaks volumes, and the affiliate would have heard from every resident in Southern Arizona if their football were taken away!

Old 10-27-2014, 01:03 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,843,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Then don't watch it. Why would you want to take it away from the ones that do watch it?
I dont watch it because i dont have cable or sat tv. Even if i did, i wouldnt allow my children to watch it. If others love it, then great but im personally glad it isnt an option anymore!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV