Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 04:22 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

Proof that resentment and sobbing don't accompany every breakup

According to research from the industry analysts at nScreenMedia, a whopping 84% of recent cord-cutters are "at least somewhat happy with their decision."

Want to Dump Cable? You'll Probably Be Happy You Did - Reviewed.com Televisions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 04:32 AM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
I don't need to "dump" it. I never had it.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:15 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
I'd like to dump the cable but i dont want to change it to a system where everytime i want to change the channel i have to mess around on the computer trying to find a show i want to watch then somehow configure it to play on the tv.at the moment I like the convenience of surfing through several hundred channels but the glut of commercials i have to endure has now become intolerable..
For those dumping cable what system are you replacing it with and how does it work.?

Old 06-12-2014, 06:39 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,275,144 times
I use the Over the Air signal for free TV, so I get the 3 big networks, Fox, CW, PBS, and a few minor stations I had never been aware of before (LiveWell, Ion, etc.) I have an old laptop with a tuner card and Windows Media Center that I am able to use as a DVR and channel guide. I also have AppleTV that I use for Netflix and HuluPlus (when I have an active subscription). If I had a friend's cable login, I could also use AppleTV in conjunction with my iPad to access channels like HBOGo, ESPN, Lifetime, AMC, etc. But I won't confirm or deny that I've ever done that.

I don't miss cable (or the massive cable bill) one bit.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:31 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,610,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'd like to dump the cable but i dont want to change it to a system where everytime i want to change the channel i have to mess around on the computer trying to find a show i want to watch then somehow configure it to play on the tv.at the moment I like the convenience of surfing through several hundred channels but the glut of commercials i have to endure has now become intolerable..
For those dumping cable what system are you replacing it with and how does it work.?
Roku, Apple TV or Chromecast. Rather than live streaming of shows or networks, shows are listed as apps that you click on & watch.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:13 AM

475 posts, read 900,822 times
Roku comes with a remote. You connect the device to the tv and make a wireless connection to your computer. You press the home button and you can choose from free channels and some free news or choose a subscription service like Neflix ($9-10) or Amazon (free for Prime) members. With search you can search for any movie or show and Roku will tell you which channel it is showing on. Many channels give you free trails ( I just got Acorn , all British shows, for 30 days) and some are only $5. 90% of my viewing is done at Netfix and the same $9 pays for all 3 TV's.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:46 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times
I have never had Cable or any other TV service in 20 years. I watch the news on my computer.

Old 06-13-2014, 04:07 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
At the moment i'm paying about $70 per month for my cable,for that at the push of a button i can scroll through 300 channels, very convenient but for the price i only watch a couple of dozen channels and i have to put up with an insane amount of commercials, will something like Netflix give me the same options for a much reduces price.
As i'm almost completely computer illiterate the prospect of rewiring computer and tv sounds like a daunting task..

Old 06-13-2014, 07:18 AM

475 posts, read 900,822 times
Quote:
At the moment i'm paying about $70 per month for my cable,for that at the push of a button i can scroll through 300 channels, very convenient but for the price i only watch a couple of dozen channels and i have to put up with an insane amount of commercials, will something like Netflix give me the same options for a much reduces price.
As i'm almost completely computer illiterate the prospect of rewiring computer and tv sounds like a daunting task..
To use a device like Roku you plug in the red and the yellow cords to your TV right where you currently have your DVD player plugged in. If you already have a wireless connection for your computer Roku will walk you through the rest. As far a content is concerned, it is free for a month right now. You can watch it on your computer for now to see if you like what is offered.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:07 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,610,760 times
Quote:

There's nothing to rewire with the 3 items I mentioned above. You just plug the unit into your TV, just like you plugged in your cable box, & you're set. Very very simple.

Just make sure your TV set & the set top you choose have compatible connections. You will also have to figure out your local stations: a digital antenna or the Aereo app if your city has it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV