Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 07:02 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,847,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Many shows that are called science fiction are not really science fiction. Many of the shows being proposed as sci fi on this thread are not sci fi. Science fiction is about questioning ideas and laws.

That being said, if you want to see a true science fiction show, I recommend Battlestar Galactica, the new one (2000's). That is a true science fiction show and forces you to question society, religion, where we came from, evolution etc. It is one of the best written shows I've watched in a long time.

That is the best science fiction I've seen and I've seen them all.
It does sound good,thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 07:04 PM

I saw on goodreads where a guy said that Fringe is 'gross-out horrific',is that true?
I prefer to avoid gruesome gore.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:14 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Fringe was a much better written show than X-files. It's not as popular as X-files because it didn't appeal to the dumbing down of America the way X-files did. X-files was not really science fiction but a drama that involved aliens or "monster of the week". And every show had the same plot structure. It started out with a monster killing someone. We don't know the identity of the monster. Mulder and Scully and investigate. There is a bad guy who you think is the monster who turns out to not be the monster. Then at about 3/4 of the way through the episode, there is the reveal and it's someone you least suspected. Then the monster dies. At the end of the show, there is a twist that the monster either survived or there were more of them in secret.
The alien plots included Mulder investigating and then at the end of the show, they reveal a tiny piece of the alien plot but offer more questions which forces the viewer to continue watching the show.Then throughout the show, there was repressed sexual chemistry between Mulder and Scully designed to appeal to the ladies who watched the show that wanted some romance. Sorry but Fringe was 10 times the show X-Files was in terms of innovation and creativity. But I give X-files the credit for being the reason we have so many sci-fi shows today. It brought it to the mainstream and made it acceptable to feature it in prime time again.
The very first season of X-Files was decent but then as you say it deteriorated into just another silly series...

LMAO, you didn't get a kick out of "The Navy vs the Night monsters" or "Kronos" or The Day of the Triffids"?

The Mysterians?

Old 06-27-2014, 09:19 PM

5,462 posts, read 8,180,020 times
Captain Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03IrlB9oi_M

Old 06-28-2014, 12:04 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
The X-Files followed by a really really really old TV show --- The Invaders (1960s).

I prefer Sci-Fi on Earth.

Old 06-28-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
The X-Files followed by a really really really old TV show --- The Invaders (1960s).

I prefer Sci-Fi on Earth.
Loved X-Files and "V",will check out The Invaders,thanks,and I also prefer Earth-based Sci-Fi in film and books.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:49 AM

33,230 posts, read 26,455,707 times
As others have, I recommend 'Eureka' which was one of my favorites.

And 'Sanctuary'. Amanda Tapping is Helen Magnus, a 160 year old scientist who has an organization which protects 'abnormals'. It ran for four seasons.

Sanctuary Opening & Ending Credits Themes - YouTube

The Official Sanctuary Trailer - YouTube

Old 06-29-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
As others have, I recommend 'Eureka' which was one of my favorites.

And 'Sanctuary'. Amanda Tapping is Helen Magnus, a 160 year old scientist who has an organization which protects 'abnormals'. It ran for four seasons.

Sanctuary Opening & Ending Credits Themes - YouTube

The Official Sanctuary Trailer - YouTube

Looks cool,thanks!

Old 06-29-2014, 01:09 PM

2,029 posts, read 4,038,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
I saw on goodreads where a guy said that Fringe is 'gross-out horrific',is that true?
I prefer to avoid gruesome gore.
I don't remember it being "gross out horrific", but then again, my memory is not what it used to be. If I'm watching something that is really gory, I just cover my eyes. Sometimes I want to mute the tv since the sound effects are as bad as the visual effects.

Old 06-29-2014, 02:27 PM

Actually he said "sometimes it can be gross out horrific",but that sounds really gruesome,to me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV