Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 02:32 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,045,108 times

Advertisements

We just record both (and more!) but we always watch them later. We rarely watch a show in "real time" because we like to fast forward through the commercials. But if we are forced to watch something now and something else later, we usually choose the 'watch it now' show based on how badly we want to see it and how much we just can't wait to see it - like we're just going to drop dead if we don't watch it NOW - right now this very minute!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 02:34 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,005,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post

Another one who had trouble reading the question.
What is there not to understand?? If both shows you like happen to be airing at the same time, then you pick one that you will watch when it first airs on broadcast television, and just watch the other show on either on-demand or tivo. That's the most logical answer.

How am I suppose to decide which two shows the OP should choose from when I don't know her personally or the type of TV shows she would be interested in?

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 07-16-2014 at 02:47 PM..

Old 07-16-2014, 02:48 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,192,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
How do you decide which one you'll watch at the time it airs and which you'll watch later?
OK having cut the cable cords about 4 years ago I now only get networks channels mostly so I'll watch whichever one I can't see later online. Like ABC to view shows you have to put in your cable provider account number to watch videos there now. So I'll watch the ABC show as it airs then go searching for the other one online later or the next day to view.

The past 2 years I've honestly tried not to get caught up in any weekly program (except Survivor & Breaking Bad) & wait until the shows have run their course. Then I can watch them on Netflix at my speed all the way through.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:58 PM

11,761 posts, read 14,659,204 times
Sometimes it's based on who wants to watch, because there are more shows my wife wants to watch than I want to watch, so often she'll record and watch that later.

Another consideration is that if one is thirty minutes and one is an hour, recording the hour show enables you to save time because there are more total minutes of commercials to fast forward through.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:25 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,601,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Watch the other show on-demand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post

Another one who had trouble reading the question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
What is there not to understand?? If both shows you like happen to be airing at the same time, then you pick one that you will watch when it first airs on broadcast television, and just watch the other show on either on-demand or tivo. That's the most logical answer.

How am I suppose to decide which two shows the OP should choose from when I don't know her personally or the type of TV shows she would be interested in?
The OP was trying to decide which show to watch first, not how to be able to watch both shows.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:30 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,005,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
The OP was trying to decide which show to watch first, not how to be able to watch both shows.
Which proves my point of what I already said.

Old 07-16-2014, 05:18 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,375,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvc8 View Post
I will dvr everything to watch later as I hate watching commercials. A dvr is the best invention of all time, imo
This is what I do. I agree with you about dvrs!

Old 07-16-2014, 10:55 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
How do you decide which one you'll watch at the time it airs and which you'll watch later?
I watch neither while it airs. I DVR them both and skip commercials.

Who still watches live tv?

Old 07-16-2014, 11:04 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,192,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I watch neither while it airs. I DVR them both and skip commercials.

Who still watches live tv?
I reckon certain age sets like me that don't know how to hook up a vcr, dvd or dvr when the dang TVs are hanging up on a wall. Nobody around here seems to know either and calling a local electronic store they want $400 to run "all the wires, equipment & labor". No way live TV for me then.

Old 07-16-2014, 11:29 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
I rarely watch shows when they air. Not to avoid the commercials. I'm just bad at remembering what nights and times shows are on, and I gave up trying to keep track. I'll sit down and watch a couple of shows OnDemand when the time is convenient for me. Prior to OnDemand, I wasn't into television series because I'd miss to many episodes to know what was happening.

I like OnDemand better than DVR because I don't have to do anything with OnDemand. Anything that requires me setting something puts me at risk of missing episodes because I'll forget to set the DVR. I guess I'm not passionate enough about TV. The least amount of remembering and interaction required, the more likely I'll get hooked on a good show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV