Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2024, 08:48 PM

2,133 posts, read 1,061,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
There absolutely is a curse, and I'm sad to see it has apparently extended to AMIF. Tom is a wordsmith, very verbose, and condensing his writing never works out.

I enjoyed the book, though it wasn't Tom's best IMHO and if the film departed from it as much as I'm hearing this will be a hard pass for me.

Plus it really would probably be better suited as a 4-episode mini series.
edited...duh on me, I just noticed it is a limited series.
Two minutes into episode one and...meh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2024, 06:36 AM

4,624 posts, read 3,334,387 times
What does a "limited series" mean?

Old 05-07-2024, 07:06 AM

28,711 posts, read 18,903,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
What does a "limited series" mean?
Same thing as a "miniseries." It's intended from the start to go only 1-5 seasons.

These days, I prefer a miniseries/limited series. I'm annoyed with the propensity of producers to tell a good story in the first 8-10 episodes, get flushed by success, and continue it until it goes flat or just cancel it before it's finished its story.

My wife and I don't get started with any new series anymore. We've especially been stung by a couple of JK Simmons series that were entertaining (JK Simmons always gives it) and then were abruptly cancelled after two or three seasons.

Old 05-07-2024, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
I'm halfway through AMIF; having read the book, I can tell you that the series is a pretty radical departure from it. The PC Police have pretty much rendered the story unrecognizable, and Jeff Daniels' performance is so over the top that it's almost painful to watch. How in the world could somebody that tone deaf be running a business empire? As for the rest of the characters, all the white males are played as either knuckle-dragging bullies or feckless dweebs; the women are given little to nothing to do.
I admit I got sucked into the series, and am I think at the end of episode 3.

I have mixed opinions on what the changed from the book.

I feel like if they were true to the Conrad storyline from the book they'd need 2-3 additional episodes for it to make sense. Frankly, I liked the Conrad storyline from the book right up to the end, when I thought it got really stupid. JMHO. I'll reserve judgement for now about the "new" Conrad character and story.

I wish they had kept true to the story arc for Roger's character and Fareek and all that, but so far the adaptation isn't horrible.

Martha's character was more developed and nuanced in the book, even conniving. I think Kathleen isn't doing the character justice.

Old 05-07-2024, 04:06 PM

23,557 posts, read 44,248,183 times
Quote:
I admit I got sucked into the series, and am I think at the end of episode 3.

I have mixed opinions on what the changed from the book.

I feel like if they were true to the Conrad storyline from the book they'd need 2-3 additional episodes for it to make sense. Frankly, I liked the Conrad storyline from the book right up to the end, when I thought it got really stupid. JMHO. I'll reserve judgement for now about the "new" Conrad character and story.

I wish they had kept true to the story arc for Roger's character and Fareek and all that, but so far the adaptation isn't horrible.

Martha's character was more developed and nuanced in the book, even conniving. I think Kathleen isn't doing the character justice.
I just finished the entire series (my last post was after watching the first three episodes). Some thoughts:

- It became pretty evident by episode four that two directors were involved in the series. IMO, the scenes directed by Regina King came closest to finding the emotional center of the story; Thomas Schlamme was apparently responsible for most of the 'mine's bigger' scenes between the white males (no surprise; he's a veteran of The West Wing, Sports Night and The Americans).

- As far as the actors go, it seemed to me that Jeff Daniels continued to play a one-dimensional Alpha Male throughout the series (with the exception of his little epiphany at the press conference). Lucy Liu's talents were completely wasted in her role...
Spoiler
and why couldn't her character ever figure out that she was date-raped after being given a 'roofie'? Why couldn't Martha, for that matter? It was so obvious.
And as for Diane Lane, why would a class act like her fall for a complete tool like Peepgrass? She was relentlessly vindictive, even after her ex did the right thing by her best friend. The book drew her as an aging, out-of-shape, lonely and bitter woman...what motivated them to consider someone as attractive as Lane in that role is beyond me.

- The end was a disaster, and a complete embarrassment to all involved. It pretty much killed off any positive feeling I might have had toward this series.

BTW, Kudos to Aml Ameen (Roger White) and Jon Michael Hill (Conrad Hensley) for delivering great performances under the circumstances.

Old 05-08-2024, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post

- The end was a disaster, and a complete embarrassment to all involved. It pretty much killed off any positive feeling I might have had toward this series.
Oh heck, yes, same here!

I'll admit I was not a super fan of how the book wrapped up, but the TV series choice of ending was vomit.

And Peepgas (I use the book's spelling, LOL) was just played wrong by Tom Pelphry. He tried for the sniveling "beta male" thing but it just came out wrong.

Old 05-08-2024, 12:49 PM

23,557 posts, read 44,248,183 times
Quote:
Oh heck, yes, same here!

I'll admit I was not a super fan of how the book wrapped up, but the TV series choice of ending was vomit.

And Peepgas (I use the book's spelling, LOL) was just played wrong by Tom Pelphry. He tried for the sniveling "beta male" thing but it just came out wrong.
Agree that Pelphrey was another miscast.

As far as casting actors that more closely mirror the novel's principals, my 'fantasy cast' (circa 1998) would be:

Charlie Croker - Brian Dennehy

Martha Croker - Kathy Bates

Serena Croker - Catherine Zeta Jones

Raymond Peepgrass - Steve Zahn

Roger White - Denzel Washington

Conrad Hensley - Matthew McConaughey (Conrad was white in the novel)

Although I was annoyed by the sublimation of Stoic philosophy in the series (which played a large part in the novel), I can understand difficulties that Kelley faced with keeping it in while trying to move the action along. Perhaps instead of Stoicism it would have been interesting to have Croker embrace Born-Again Christianity and found a Megachurch.

Old 05-09-2024, 10:50 AM

6,182 posts, read 4,585,761 times
I thought I might check out The Asunta Case and am hooked. Just finished episode 4 last night.

Old 05-09-2024, 02:34 PM

861 posts, read 571,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
i may have to read the books i dont think season 2 will be on Netflix till 2025 or 2026
The story of season 2 would be more interesting, based on what I know from the book.

Old 05-09-2024, 04:11 PM

12,059 posts, read 6,610,914 times
Just finished The Gentlemen with Mathew McConaughey, Hugh Grant, Colin Farrell, Jeremy Strong, and many more..

Great acting, it’s VERY entertaining with lots of twists and turns.
I’m not a Hugh Grant fan, but he did a great job and very believable as a sleazy manipulative journalist.
And McConaughey, if he’s cast well for a certain character, always impresses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV