Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 01:04 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,112,852 times

Advertisements

Speaking of demographics for advertising dollars......are the young not yet so jaded by TV that they wouldn't even think of giving up on it?

As I got into my 30's, I started seeing the propaganda on TV. NBC, for instance, was and still is I believe, very anti gun. Hence, I started boycotting networks for a while.

Speaking of NBC and sabotaging TV series........Sea Quest. Make it more about Jonathan B., make it more about eye candy, and see what one ends up with.

As far as FOX goes, they heavily advertised Briscoe County, showed encore presentations of the pilot, and so forth. Yet at the end of one season,they axed it. I heard a rumor that FOX will cancel anything if they believe they have something better coming up next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 01:40 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,421,161 times
i watched brisco county and it wasnt spectacular

previous to what i mentioned before the only other show FOX pushed as some blockbuster shht was in the real early days like 1988 remember Werewolf?

i used to watch that... and like 10 years ago i watched it again and damn was that show cheesy, haha

Old 09-14-2014, 02:52 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,851,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
A&E pulled the plug on Longmire because the viewing audience was "to old" for them. The age group they are trying to target with TV shows are the ones with the least amount of disposable income.

Why TV Hit 'Longmire' Got Canceled: Fans Too Old - WSJ

The same thing happened in the early 70s, especially on CBS.

Rural purge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-14-2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
Getting in the way-back machine here....

Soap opera The Edge of Night was unique in soapland. It was reportedly viewed by the largest segment of male viewers of any soap, likely due to its mystery/crime focus rather than romantic melodrama. It aired at 3:30pm eastern, a pretty late slot for a "daytime" soap (thus the name) but perfect for men returning home from work to "pick it up". It had gangbusters ratings, usually #2 among over a dozen soaps. In 1972 Edge got moved to a much earlier time slot (I think it was 1:30) by CBS and was sandwiched between more "conventional" soaps. It lost a lot of its male audience that had been watching it after work. The darker tone also didn't "fit" with the surrounding shows very well, either. The ratings dropped noticeably, but rather than trying to correct the mistake, CBS let the show slide so badly that Edge ultimately left CBS entirely in late 1975, moving to ABC to run for another nine years but never regaining its top-rated status.

I remember TEON on ABC.

Old 09-14-2014, 03:07 PM

In retrospect, maybe Robin Williams's style of humor couldn't be sustained with a long-running TV series.

Old 09-14-2014, 03:15 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,224,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
The same thing happened in the early 70s, especially on CBS.

Rural purge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Oddly enough a great majority of those cut back then can still be seen on TV that draws an audience or they wouldn't be airing. I can see replacing some with MASH and other more modern shows but there is & always be the 'rural factor'. Crazy things happen when it is controlled by the ole mighty dollar eh?

Old 09-14-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Gee, 2 pages in & I'm suprised no one has mentiioned the most obvious hit job on a network's own show: The Smother's Brothers Comedy Hour.
The Smothers Brothers and their fans may have lost that battle but they won the war, because in 1970, CBS started introducing comedies with more topical humor than the rural-themed shows they replaced.

Old 09-14-2014, 03:50 PM

8,655 posts, read 10,197,773 times
ABC is reknown for moving around its shows, taking too long of a hiatus between shows, not marketing/promoting them or removing them before they had the opportunity to build up an audience which has help to contribute to their demise...including, but not limited to these shows (not the highest-rated, but good shows): Flashforward, V, Life on Mars, Pushing Daisies, 666 Park Avenue, Happy Endings, Pan Am, Missing, Cougar Town (TBS picked up), Brothers & Sisters, Dirty Sexy Money, Samantha Who...

Old 09-14-2014, 03:57 PM

With so many networks competing for audiences nowadays, it is easier to cancel a series quickly than it was in the past if it doesn't "click" immediately.

Old 09-14-2014, 04:04 PM

8,239 posts, read 10,752,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
I'm not in the 60 yo group & I enjoyed the show. Plus folks I know in the 18-49 yo range are raising families, paying college loans, shuffling bills and trying to keep up with the Joneses. Not all but a lot of them don't have disposable income in fact several 20 somethings are living with parents because they can't make it one their own in this economy.

So this is a rural show primarily & I live in a rural state mostly so different age groups did enjoy this show. It sure beats the reality junk that is taking over TV.
I dont have to tell you that if the "average" age of a viewer is 60 then there are viewers both older and younger than 60 watching. Im not 60 and I enjoyed the show too. That doesnt change the fact that the key demographic that advertisers target is younger than the average age of "Longmire" viewers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV