Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 11:01 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,733,056 times

Advertisements

One that just came to mind as Im watching the marathon is "Dead Like Me". I dont remember the exact story but it came down to Bob Greenblatt (head of Showtime at the time) cancelling it simply because he didnt like it. It's ratings were better than good at the time. I think - and I may be wrong on this part - that "Huff" was the same type of casualty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 02:24 PM

17,607 posts, read 15,292,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
i watched brisco county and it wasnt spectacular
I wholeheartedly disagree.. Brisco County was a great show. Very good Western Sci-Fi theme. I own the series on DVD.

Old 09-18-2014, 03:05 PM

18,037 posts, read 27,488,141 times
I wish SNL would get the axe.

Bring back Fractured Flickers and The Gong Show.

Old 09-18-2014, 03:56 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,733,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post

Bring back The Gong Show.
Please no. Everything "Chuck Barris Production" is now owned by Sony. I dont want to see what they would do to it.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:48 PM

11,642 posts, read 12,722,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
I'm not in the 60 yo group & I enjoyed the show. Plus folks I know in the 18-49 yo range are raising families, paying college loans, shuffling bills and trying to keep up with the Joneses. Not all but a lot of them don't have disposable income in fact several 20 somethings are living with parents because they can't make it one their own in this economy.

So this is a rural show primarily & I live in a rural state mostly so different age groups did enjoy this show. It sure beats the reality junk that is taking over TV.
I live in the NYC metro area and I LOVED Longmire. I have never been to Wyoming or New Mexico.

Old 09-19-2014, 12:29 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,019,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
"Quincy" was a good show in the beginning. It got bad when they tried to make the episodes a platform to push issues instead of solving crimes through the eyes of the M.E. office.
Agreed. Everything got turned into a crusade. When I commented this to my mother ("Queasy" was on A&E then), she observed that the writers and format changed between seasons, hence the result. I understand a similar thing happened to "Police Woman".

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesG73 View Post
A blast from te past for all of you old enough to remember (like me): The Misadventures of Sheriff Lobo. Lasted 2 years on NBC. Season 1 was rock solid ratings-wise. It scored big in the rural areas of the country but not the big cities. So the powers that be said "Lets move Lobo and his 2 trust deputies to the big city" The boys were shipped off to Atlanta, show was renamed Lobo, the ratings plummeted and the show was cancelled. Amazing what network meddling can do isn't it?
Well, consider the executives prospect of it. How could it fail?...........................considering the eye candy they added to it.

As it was, I think I only saw two episodes, the one with nitro glycerin in a pill where the dimwitted deputy said "Someone is going to blow up a very small bridge?" and the episode with Dave Madden in it (maybe they were both the same episode). I was in college at the time, so my encounters with it, with any TV, were few and far between.

As I recall from the time, Playboy magazine seemed to have supported the show, with a picture of when Candy Loving guest starred (that may have been back in the boon docks) and then when the deputies were in drag.

At any rate, back to "Lobo"......maybe the addition of "Brandi and Peaches" (were that their names? Not going to cheat by going to IMDB) distracted (or offended) too much for people to see what had made the show great in the previous seasons.

Old 09-19-2014, 12:38 AM

10,029 posts, read 10,899,888 times
Oddly I thought of this show not long ago along with the show it came from BJ and the Bear.

Old 09-19-2014, 12:46 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,019,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Oddly I thought of this show not long ago along with the show it came from BJ and the Bear.
Yes, well that's the thing that rather bugged me about the whole prospect of the Lobo series to begin with.

In the pilot movie of Bj and the Bear, Sheriff Lobo was downright despicable. He was into human trafficking.

So then there is a series where he's the good guy?

Rather confusing.....and another example of network sabotage of a TV series.....by letting it go ahead in the first place.

Old 09-19-2014, 02:13 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,899,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Yes, well that's the thing that rather bugged me about the whole prospect of the Lobo series to begin with.

In the pilot movie of Bj and the Bear, Sheriff Lobo was downright despicable. He was into human trafficking.

So then there is a series where he's the good guy?

Rather confusing.....and another example of network sabotage of a TV series.....by letting it go ahead in the first place.
Yeah that was weird because he was such a hateful character on BJ and the Bear. In my opinion the character wasn't that outstanding so a spin off just seems odd. Obviously others agreed because the show only lasted 2 seasons.

Old 10-04-2014, 04:54 PM

4,585 posts, read 3,412,463 times
One that angered me was the treatment of "Dragnet" on ABC in the early 2000's. Even though it was a 10PM Saturday timeslot, I knew teens that rushed home just to see Al Bundy playing Sgt. Joe Friday and absolutely nailing it. It was Wolf Production and though season one was excellent the weeks on season 2 killed it: Friday became the deskbound director of a muti-cultural investigative team,one of which was Eva Longoria, his partner from season 1, Ethan Embry was a bit weak but rapidly improving, but his replacements had no chemistry and were just there to satisfy ethnic demos. From what I understand, Wolf was demanding a franchise: LA Dragnet, NYC Dragnet and so on, ABC would not do it and he lost interest, and put up no resistance to network tweeks. Awesome opening credits BTW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV