Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 08:52 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,398,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
A more valid question might be: would westerns have been so popular if the same competition existed when they were airing every night of the week?
Well, if that competition had been "reality TV", I have no doubt that westerns would have triumphed. I really and truly think the viewing public has gotten dumber and dumber since the 50s and 60s. How else can one explain such things as the Kardashians and "Duck Dynasty"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 10:10 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
Well, if that competition had been "reality TV", I have no doubt that westerns would have triumphed. I really and truly think the viewing public has gotten dumber and dumber since the 50s and 60s. How else can one explain such things as the Kardashians and "Duck Dynasty"?
No idea, I don't watch reality shows other than "Master Chef."

A better comparison, I think, would be to all of the procedurals that fill up network programming.
Instead of people on horses with guns, we have people in cars with guns.
Instead of sheriffs and rangers, we have the FBI, NCIS, CIA, various and sundry police departments ("Blue Bloods," "Hawaii Five-0" "Major Crimes")...
Of course we do still have at least a few U.S. Marshalls as per "Justified."

Yes, the milieu may have changed, but, it is still good guys vs. bad guys.
And, no one has to clean up after the horses.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:19 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
No idea, I don't watch reality shows other than "Master Chef."

A better comparison, I think, would be to all of the procedurals that fill up network programming.
Instead of people on horses with guns, we have people in cars with guns.
Instead of sheriffs and rangers, we have the FBI, NCIS, CIA, various and sundry police departments ("Blue Bloods," "Hawaii Five-0" "Major Crimes")...
Of course we do still have at least a few U.S. Marshalls as per "Justified."

Yes, the milieu may have changed, but, it is still good guys vs. bad guys.
Difficult to say when one considers that back then, we did have the "Wild Wild West". James wasn't a Sheriff, he was US Secret Service. He didn't fight just bad guys, but rather, lots of "Arron Burrs".

Further, keep in mind that there were other shows on at that time, competing with him, such as all the ITE spy shows, The Baron, Primus, Man in the Suitcase, Secret Agent, and others like Man From UNCLE (prime time or otherwise) that could be dished out. The original Hawaii Five 0 existed then as well.

So to say today that we have all these other things instead.........isn't quite that accurate.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Is that what that was under my television?

Old 12-15-2014, 11:06 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Difficult to say when one considers that back then, we did have the "Wild Wild West". James wasn't a Sheriff, he was US Secret Service. He didn't fight just bad guys, but rather, lots of "Arron Burrs".

Further, keep in mind that there were other shows on at that time, competing with him, such as all the ITE spy shows, The Baron, Primus, Man in the Suitcase, Secret Agent, and others like Man From UNCLE (prime time or otherwise) that could be dished out. The original Hawaii Five 0 existed then as well.

So to say today that we have all these other things instead.........isn't quite that accurate.
"Wild, Wild West" was still considered a western so not getting your point.
And, up until recently, we did have a show with a U.S. Secret Service agent as a main character - it was called "Warehouse 13."
Not a western, though, interestingly, it did deal in the some of the same sort of fantastical situations.

The topic of the thread is the prevalence of westerns on TV in the 50s and 60s vs. now.
To the OP's point, it is fair to note that "Hawaii Five-0" was considered ripe for resurrection while "Gunsmoke" and/or "Bonanza" were, so far, not.

Tastes change. Fantasy and comic books are a bigger draw this year.
My son and I were laughing the other night while I was watching "Constantine" and we realized that there are any number of shows on TV right now where the sight of blood raining from the sky could be considered a common occurrence.
Will we look back in 50 years and wonder where all of the zombies, vampires and demons went?

Old 12-15-2014, 11:22 AM

4,362 posts, read 6,533,449 times
Unforgiven would qualify as a good western "movie".

Hell on Wheels IS a Western. How can it not be?

Old 12-15-2014, 11:31 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
"Wild, Wild West" was still considered a western so not getting your point........
You were saying that in today's world of programming

"Instead of sheriffs and rangers, we have the FBI, NCIS, CIA, various and sundry police departments ("Blue Bloods," "Hawaii Five-0" "Major Crimes")..."

................and I was pointing out that back then, we had them as well. For example, as I recall the opening to one show (it wasn't "Secret Agent" but some other ITC (and not ITE) show), the hero is shown going out to his car, talking in a voice over about all the agencies around these days, and then goes into how NATO had its own intelligence agency.

Especially after James Bond took off, TV back then, too, had agencies all over the place....and as James West showed, all over time as well.

EDIT: I took a look at the first season of "Danger Man" and the opener, and that's what I was referring to above, only he didn't say NATO, but a "messy job". Oh well, I was referring to a show I saw over 40 years ago, once.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 12-15-2014 at 11:46 AM..

Old 12-15-2014, 01:48 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,279,449 times
I love Westerns, but Hell on Wheels failed to hold my attention. It wasn't a bad show at all. But I was never excited to see the next episode.

Old 12-15-2014, 01:52 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,279,449 times
The problem with Westerns is that there is an element of sameness about so many of them. The formula is very predictable after a while. Handsome stranger rides into town and must save the town (or the pretty farmer's widow) from the ruthless cattle baron or corrupt sheriff or bandits. Sheriffs and bandits and cattle get kind of snooze-worthy after a while.

The sad thing is that Western history is a lot more interesting than any Western TV show I have ever seen.

I mean look at Bass Reeves. Never given a decent film or TV treatment, yet was one of the most successful law men in all of history. His real life is more exciting than any fiction.

Bass Reeves - Black Hero Marshal

Old 12-15-2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:
The topic of the thread is the prevalence of westerns on TV in the 50s and 60s vs. now.
To the OP's point, it is fair to note that "Hawaii Five-0" was considered ripe for resurrection while "Gunsmoke" and/or "Bonanza" were, so far, not.

Tastes change. Fantasy and comic books are a bigger draw this year.
My son and I were laughing the other night while I was watching "Constantine" and we realized that there are any number of shows on TV right now where the sight of blood raining from the sky could be considered a common occurrence.
Will we look back in 50 years and wonder where all of the zombies, vampires and demons went?
You're point about "Hawaii Five-0" is well taken. But I also think it points out why we'll never see more regular westerns on TV again.....Hollywood isn't capable. The latest incarnation of "Hawaii Five-0" shows a complete inability to make something of quality, so any westerns they would attempt would likely be just as lame.

I also understand your point about fantasy and comic books. Those type of movies and TV shows have been big. It is too bad, however, that comic books themselves are not as big as they were in the 50's and 60's. Of course, when you charge $3.99 for a single comic book, it's no wonder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV