Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 07:07 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,174,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Agreed.

After AP started airing whale wars and promoting eco-terro, I turned them off. Haven't looked back in years...........are they really that bad now?
Loved the South Park where they actually fought the Japanese, and the Whale Wars guys were freaking out asking what he was doing. To which Kyle said, "I'm only doing what you're pretending to do."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 07:11 PM

28,678 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
And that's probably the biggest reason no one watches Sy Fy anymore. The channel gave up prodcuging good science fiction several years ago and seemed to revel in producing campy, tongue-in-cheek sci fi that all too quickly because just downright terrible.

On the one hand, I sympathize a little bit, because they're a third-tier network that doesn't have the money to produce high quality special effects shows.

But instead of producing shows with quality writing, story, and character that don't need all the heavy special effects, they just product trash with bad special effects.

So the only hope I see for the channel is a complete change in direction.
A producer of those delta-bravo-sierra movies, however, has said that every single one of them, without exception, has been highly profitable...somehow someone is watching them.

More power to them, but I'd like to see a real science fiction channel, even if they have to continually run old classics as the Sci-Fi channel did origionally.

Old 12-29-2014, 07:14 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,174,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
A producer of those delta-bravo-sierra movies, however, has said that every single one of them, without exception, has been highly profitable...somehow someone is watching them.

More power to them, but I'd like to see a real science fiction channel, even if they have to continually run old classics as the Sci-Fi channel did origionally.
They get sold overseas which nets some money to be sure. Saw a lot of Supergator vs Dinocroc type films on Indian cable.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:52 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,285,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
It's easy to turn a profit when your special effects budget is $20 and the actors are working for a free lunch.

Old 12-30-2014, 04:38 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,150,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
It's easy to turn a profit when your special effects budget is $20 and the actors are working for a free lunch.
There overpaid! I know the writers are especially overpaid - they have to give up drinking! It is hard for me to believe that anybody sober could write any of those shows.

Right now they are playing Blast Vegas, then they will play Apocalypse LA, and then Volcano tonight. It is hard for me to think that people actually watch this junk. After checking what's playing I'm going back to my video games!

Old 12-30-2014, 05:26 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,513,348 times
What we see on the SyFy channel is what the management wants.

If you want something else, watch a different channel.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:09 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,729,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
Perhaps if they changed their name back to the Sci Fi Channel and started showing, you know, science fiction. Until then, not interested.
As other have said (including me) in the past repeatedly, they cant change their name back to "Sci Fi". "Science Fiction" and thus "Sci Fi" is a genre. A network (or anyone else) cannot copyright/trademark an entire genre. They had to make a name that could be marketed.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:29 AM

4,583 posts, read 3,410,316 times
I find all of your comments accurate, but that makes me sad. Of my few Hollywood credits, Sci-Fi was my biggest: I made all the metal armour parts for the long coats, General Zero on Tin Man, those big shoulders on Kathleen Robertson as well.

Old 12-31-2014, 11:08 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,411,438 times
SyFy is the new USA "Up All Night", with C-grade movies with Debbie (excuse me--Deborah) Gibson and Tiffany. Once movies like "Sharknado" took over, that was the end of SyFy (what very little I did watch).

Old 01-01-2015, 07:46 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,150,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
What we see on the SyFy channel is what the management wants.

If you want something else, watch a different channel.
I think that is what most of us are saying; we are watching different channels. The problem is that we are not finding what we used to expect form the old Sci-Fi Channel. That is why we have time to come to CD and air our problems! If SyFy wants us to praise, instead of condemnation; they should consider going back to their old programing. We just don't feel that will happen anytime soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV