Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 07:53 AM

215 posts, read 390,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Hope? Only if they return to their old format.

OP, I agree with everything you said !!

Their channel used to be one of our favorite "go to" channels. Now, it is one of those "joke" channels we never watch.

ScyFy is the new History Channel

so what does that tell you?

they killed off all the good shows they had and even whatever good movies they used to show in the weekend too

I don't know what their deal is

they must not want good ratings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 08:11 AM

4,882 posts, read 5,015,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
What we see on the SyFy channel is what the management wants.

If you want something else, watch a different channel.
Did you watch, "Ragin'Cajun Gators"? That's whay a lot of us are on this thread and watching different channels. If it makes SYFY money, there will probably be a sequel.

Old 01-01-2015, 12:52 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,728,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden eagles fan View Post
SyFy is the new USA "Up All Night", with C-grade movies with Debbie (excuse me--Deborah) Gibson and Tiffany. Once movies like "Sharknado" took over, that was the end of SyFy (what very little I did watch).
The sad thing is that for all of the fun that "Sharknado" is/was; that is all people see with SyFy. There is so much more. Shows like "Defiance", "Dominion", "Haven", "Bitten", the soon to air "12 Monkeys" as well as reality show "Faceoff" among others. I sometimes think that if a show isnt "Stargate" or "Battlestar" then suddenly people stomp their feet that SyFy doesnt show "scifi" when in reality that isnt true.

Old 01-01-2015, 01:08 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,658,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
Did you watch, "Ragin'Cajun Gators"? That's whay a lot of us are on this thread and watching different channels. If it makes SYFY money, there will probably be a sequel.
I was flipping channels, and saw that title on SyFy and just started laughing--I then kept flipping channels.

Old 01-01-2015, 01:10 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,658,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Maybe it was late and some kids were blocked - but I would bet not all! I don't even think adults should watch this junk!

What do you think of when you hear Cartoon Network? I always thought that this was for kids. Of course I have known that this crap has been on for a long time. I just feel that public TV should have some morals. It's no wonder why people flip out today.
Yeah, it would be better if Cartoon Network and Adult Swim were two completely different channels, but I am assuming that Turner (or whoever owns CN) doesnt feel that AS could do a whole channel. CN should be just for kids.

That being said, I have no problem with adult cartoons. Who said cartoons only have to be for kids?

Old 01-01-2015, 01:39 PM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
The sad thing is that for all of the fun that "Sharknado" is/was; that is all people see with SyFy. There is so much more. Shows like "Defiance", "Dominion", "Haven", "Bitten", the soon to air "12 Monkeys" as well as reality show "Faceoff" among others. I sometimes think that if a show isnt "Stargate" or "Battlestar" then suddenly people stomp their feet that SyFy doesnt show "scifi" when in reality that isnt true.
Defiance is arguably science fiction, and 12 Monkeys is science fiction. I would not call the other shows science fiction, those are fantasy.

Old 01-01-2015, 03:47 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Was the old SciFi ratings that good? I mean I wish for channels to still be around like Toon Disney but if I was the only one watching, does it really make sense to keep it around?

FYI SyFy still has science fiction. They have Haven, they had that ascension mini series, aired a marathon of Constantine and have an indie comic that is wizard based coming on. Sure there are c-rate monster movies but that is not really different than seeing say Robot Monster on the channel in the past.

Old 01-01-2015, 04:26 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Was the old SciFi ratings that good? I mean I wish for channels to still be around like Toon Disney but if I was the only one watching, does it really make sense to keep it around?

FYI SyFy still has science fiction. They have Haven, they had that ascension mini series, aired a marathon of Constantine and have an indie comic that is wizard based coming on. Sure there are c-rate monster movies but that is not really different than seeing say Robot Monster on the channel in the past.
I like creative thinking. I said this before: I will never hit rewind to catch missing a word - it is just not that important to me. I am not saying that they do not have a few good ones left. But most of their movies play about the same - regardless if it a large snake, spiders, piranha, gators or whatever. Somebody runs around screaming until they get eaten. How much thinking did that take to write?

I love space science fiction that portrays alien societies/culture totally alien to us. Many of our video games have better script writers than most science fiction writers for TV or the movies today. I want the writers and the cast to take me from my living room and have me guessing if this would be possible.

Maybe it is just me? But many others apparently think, that what is being shown today, just is not worth the aggravation. We also have to factor in endless commercial time.

Old 01-01-2015, 04:46 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I like creative thinking. I said this before: I will never hit rewind to catch missing a word - it is just not that important to me. I am not saying that they do not have a few good ones left. But most of their movies play about the same - regardless if it a large snake, spiders, piranha, gators or whatever. Somebody runs around screaming until they get eaten. How much thinking did that take to write?

I love space science fiction that portrays alien societies/culture totally alien to us. Many of our video games have better script writers than most science fiction writers for TV or the movies today. I want the writers and the cast to take me from my living room and have me guessing if this would be possible.

Maybe it is just me? But many others apparently think, that what is being shown today, just is not worth the aggravation. We also have to factor in endless commercial time.
Video games are a very expansive story that isnt defined by 13-20 22 or 48 minute episodes or an hour and a half to three hour movies. Games you can play in the matter of days, weeks or even months. I agree some TV and movies are pedestrian in writing and for the most part that is because until recently we didn't have after shows we can direct easter eggs and theories to say Agents of Shield, Game of Thrones, Arrow and Flash. I think Sharknaro and the Robo Shark vs. Giant Octopus movies are based on two things, the laugh factor similar to my personal favorite Robot Monster as well as the nostgoial factor both for the type of movie as well as personalities in the movie. There are very good, well acted and developed shoes that can rival HBO, Showtime and Stars shows like Haven and the ended Warehouse 13 and the American Being Human.

Old 01-01-2015, 05:05 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Video games are a very expansive story that isnt defined by 13-20 22 or 48 minute episodes or an hour and a half to three hour movies. Games you can play in the matter of days, weeks or even months. I agree some TV and movies are pedestrian in writing and for the most part that is because until recently we didn't have after shows we can direct easter eggs and theories to say Agents of Shield, Game of Thrones, Arrow and Flash. I think Sharknaro and the Robo Shark vs. Giant Octopus movies are based on two things, the laugh factor similar to my personal favorite Robot Monster as well as the nostgoial factor both for the type of movie as well as personalities in the movie. There are very good, well acted and developed shoes that can rival HBO, Showtime and Stars shows like Haven and the ended Warehouse 13 and the American Being Human.
I don't like Warehouse 13 or Constantine. Probably because they just throw stuff at you out of the blue. I'm not being led down any garden path. It isn't that I do not like surprises; it is just that they have be somehow tied to reality. I like to be taken for a ride - like with the old Stargate SG1.

Haven, if you have not followed it from the first episodes; just goes right over my head. It lost me someplace and it isn't worth the effort to catch up.

I also am working many times during prime time. So, if I don't tape the show; I don't take the time to catch up. But I will never take the time to catch up to the screaming people running from the snakes and whatever. It just is not my cup of tea.

You cannot be happy about the endless commercials? I have fallen asleep before the program comes back on. Of course the program wasn't something that I really wanted to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV