Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 02:33 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,018,637 times

Advertisements

So, my Directv won't be hooked up until Saturday, so I went to the video store and rented season 1 of Dexter. Gotta say, it's a pretty good show. A little morbid, but it's interesting that they do the show from the serial killer's perspective.

Anyone else have an opinion? Please no spoilers, I'm not that far into the 1st season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 04:31 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,979,538 times
It's a great show; one of my favorites!

These season stays good until the end and season 2 is fantastic as well!

Old 01-09-2008, 10:47 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,383,318 times
I also just started watching the 1st season DVD - I think I am on episode 9.
Great show! I didn't realize there are so many anti-social killers in Miami.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
I also just started watching the 1st season DVD - I think I am on episode 9.
Great show! I didn't realize there are so many anti-social killers in Miami.
Haha... That's a good point. I was a little iffy with the first episode. There was something about how he kept talking about how he didn't have any feelings. Maybe I've taken too many psych classes, but typically people that are that lacking in empathy don't really verbalize it that much.

I'm slow going. I'm only in the middle of the third episode - been busy unpacking boxes, but it's definitely holding me more than the first episode.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:01 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,230,339 times
Originally Posted by mdtoaz
Quote:
Maybe I've taken too many psych classes, but typically people that are that lacking in empathy don't really verbalize it that much.
I guess they emphasized that fact because (unless you are a psych major) people won't know that Dexter truly has no emotion (besides the urge to kill evil individuals who escaped justice) since he rationalises and consciously compartmentalises everything.
Besides in movies an internal monologue is not a true verbalisation anyway; it is only a tool to get info across to the audience ( but I guess only movie-buffs would get this fact).

Old 01-10-2008, 03:00 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,273,471 times
Dexter is the only tv show that I watch. I will probably watch Lost when it starts up again, though.

You really have to watch both seasons to find out about Dexter's motivations and psyche.

Fantastic cast, writing, photography, etc.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by mdtoazI guess they emphasized that fact because (unless you are a psych major) people won't know that Dexter truly has no emotion (besides the urge to kill evil individuals who escaped justice) since he rationalises and consciously compartmentalises everything.
Besides in movies an internal monologue is not a true verbalisation anyway; it is only a tool to get info across to the audience ( but I guess only movie-buffs would get this fact).
I understand that (I was a film major my first go-round in college)... it's just something that really stuck out to me.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:06 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,273,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtoaz View Post
I understand that (I was a film major my first go-round in college)... it's just something that really stuck out to me.
I really can't say anymore without telling you too much, but I think the things you are observing are important. You are right.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:19 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,230,339 times
The reason I like Dexter so much is because I can psychologically dissect Dexter without harming or insulting someone.
And I truly like the family drama and the interracial cast.

Old 03-22-2008, 10:15 PM

1,942 posts, read 8,489,930 times
Default New guilty pleasure- Dexter!

I know it's been aroudn a bit, but we didn't have showtime. Now that it's on regular cable TV...I love that show. The more I watch it, the hotter Dexter gets, for some weird twisted reason. Love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV