Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 06:26 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,499,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
I sorta think they overdo it a bit with RFD airing 2 back to back episodes in the prime time slot on METV, when the show only had 3 seasons to begin with, airing now for what now seems like several months in a row. They kinda did that with Gilligan's Island too. Some shows can be watched over and over, some not.
It's especially bad when the 2 back to back shows aren't even in sequence. I haven't watched enough of them on MeTV to know if they do this, but a local channel shows 2 Big Bang Theorys back to back one night per week, and they aren't even from the same season! So if I want to watch old shows I just borrow the DVD from the library and watch it on my own time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 07:37 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,583,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
I feel the same way about I Love Lucy and Gunsmoke.
I know! I can't understand why Lucy seems to show constantly!

Old 02-09-2015, 08:38 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,754,968 times
They were never must see TV for me. More there is nothing else on, so I'll watch it.

Old 02-10-2015, 02:01 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,990,994 times
The only reason most of us who were our early teens watched One Day at a Time was for Valerie Bertinelli. Now that we know how she turned out, no reason to watch it again :-)

And as far as the 60s sitcoms go, despite the censorship of the time, writers got around it in not-so-subtle ways. Hooterville, anyone?

Last edited by sskink; 02-10-2015 at 02:23 AM..

Old 02-10-2015, 07:24 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,817,186 times
I had my first crush on Valerie Bertinelli!

Old 02-10-2015, 08:50 AM

12,391 posts, read 8,161,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Well, just who WOULD want to watch them now?
One Day At A Time had one major distinction. It wasn't single mom replacing widowed dad of the 60s. She was divorced and dealing with an ex who came around to see hi girls. That made it a first. But being a first is all it had beyond being just another show.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:00 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,008,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
One Day At A Time had one major distinction. It wasn't single mom replacing widowed dad of the 60s. She was divorced and dealing with an ex who came around to see hi girls. That made it a first. But being a first is all it had beyond being just another show.
Ann was more than a single mom; she was something of an arrogant feminist.

Does one not remember how she would stare anyone in the eye with that upturned chin and proclaim "MIZ!" when anyone addressed her wrong.......and the reply of the mistaken was often, "Oh, god, she's one of those!".

Right or wrong, one has to keep in mind that Ann's trademark would be there for audiences of today to see.

As things go, I watched an episode of a sitcom from the 60's last night, "That Girl". What a difference in shows, perhaps in times, and probably what a difference in one that has a better chance of being shown.

Why, what? That Girl was never, as near as I could tell, remember, political. It managed to have each episode without referring to what was happening in the real external world.

Perhaps it was the censorship standards of the time of why it did not but in any event, IMHO, I believe having such as stance, of not getting involved in the current events, produces a better show.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:49 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times
Quote:
DVD sales for both"Alice" and "One Day at a Time" have been awful and I am surprised since both shows seemed to do so well in it's original run on CBS. Alice is currently stuck at season 4 on DVD and One day at A Time is stuck at season 1. Not only that both shows can't grab a new fan base in syndication which is probably connected to why the DVD's won't sell.

is there anyone else surprised that these two shows won't grab any new viewers?
No, not really.

They are very era-specific and neither was a critical success when originally aired.
Both are filled with the usual sit-com tropes and stereotypes, many of which are simply not appealing to audiences with so many other available choices.

And, the clothes and the hair styles are awful.

Old 02-10-2015, 11:32 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,817,186 times
I doubt many of the series considered popular today will be considered "ageless" in the coming decades, assuming we have many decades left.

Old 02-10-2015, 12:52 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,394,970 times
Quote:
Why don't Alice and One Day at A Time translate well to modern times?
It just seems so dated, with dated Storylines that don't translate.

Schneider was hilarious back then. Today...not so much. He is so obnoxious and cliche as a foil for Ann's hard boiled feminist shtick.

Schneider is advising Barbara not to lose her virginity with the following quote. "Always remember, and please never forget: A man is like a bow-and-arrow, and a woman is like a target. Bow-and-arrow needs practice. Target doesn't."

I watched every episode of Alice and it's not very memorable, except for Mel being a hard *ss and Flo's kiss my grits. The other character I remember the most is the postman character.

You really only saw three sets...the diner, Flo's trailer, and Alice's dingy apartment.

I do remember the episode where she goes on a date, but he reveals he is gay. Then he wants to take her son camping and she goes off on him, although I think she ends up letting him go on the trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV