Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 01:25 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,393,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I doubt many of the series considered popular today will be considered "ageless" in the coming decades, assuming we have many decades left.
Yes, very few shows become classics.

Breaking Bad will probably make the cut in recent times. Sopranos, probably.

(Seinfeld and possibly Friends made the cut from the nineties.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 01:34 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,032,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
It just seems so dated, with dated Storylines that don't translate.

Schneider was hilarious back then. Today...not so much. He is so obnoxious and cliche as a foil for Ann's hard boiled feminist shtick.

Schneider is advising Barbara not to lose her virginity with the following quote. "Always remember, and please never forget: A man is like a bow-and-arrow, and a woman is like a target. Bow-and-arrow needs practice. Target doesn't."

I watched every episode of Alice and it's not very memorable, except for Mel being a hard *ss and Flo's kiss my grits. The other character I remember the most is the postman character.

You really only saw three sets...the diner, Flo's trailer, and Alice's dingy apartment.

I do remember the episode where she goes on a date, but he reveals he is gay. Then he wants to take her son camping and she goes off on him, although I think she ends up letting him go on the trip.
And i believe on all in the family you mainly saw the bunkers kitchen and living room

Old 02-11-2015, 08:19 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,815,512 times
I think one reason many sitcoms from the 1970s seem dated is that the issues they advocated then are considered non-controversial now.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:38 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,285,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
(Seinfeld and possibly Friends made the cut from the nineties.)
Seinfeld? Yes. Probably.

Friends? No. I watched it recently, and the show has not aged well at all.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:41 AM

Quote:
I think one reason many sitcoms from the 1970s seem dated is that the issues they advocated then are considered non-controversial now.
It isn't just their advocation. It's that they were so non-subtle about it. Mary Tyler Moore was almost a Stepford Feminist. In the latter seasons of M*A*S*H, all too often Hawkeye became the self-appointed Pope of Humanism. All great stories have an inherent morality to them, but it bugs me to no one end when a character exists only to preach and wag the finger.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:48 PM

11,640 posts, read 12,712,586 times
One Day at a Time was so-so. It's been rerun at some point on TVLand. They tried to cover some issues that were a big deal back then and they used words that were designed for the shock effect. They aren't shocking at all now.

Never could stand Alice. Hated that show. The movie was better and it makes top movie lists, but was never really one that I liked all that much.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:03 AM

12,390 posts, read 8,159,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Ann was more than a single mom; she was something of an arrogant feminist.

Does one not remember how she would stare anyone in the eye with that upturned chin and proclaim "MIZ!" when anyone addressed her wrong.......and the reply of the mistaken was often, "Oh, god, she's one of those!".

Right or wrong, one has to keep in mind that Ann's trademark would be there for audiences of today to see.

As things go, I watched an episode of a sitcom from the 60's last night, "That Girl". What a difference in shows, perhaps in times, and probably what a difference in one that has a better chance of being shown.

Why, what? That Girl was never, as near as I could tell, remember, political. It managed to have each episode without referring to what was happening in the real external world.

Perhaps it was the censorship standards of the time of why it did not but in any event, IMHO, I believe having such as stance, of not getting involved in the current events, produces a better show.
That's right it was a very big deal that she stopped using her husbands name Cooper and went back to Romano

Old 02-12-2015, 08:31 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,815,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Mary Tyler Moore was almost a Stepford Feminist.

I didn't find her character a feminist. If anything, the character she played on The Dick Van Dyke Show was more feminist because she wore capris and flats.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:41 AM

Quote:
I didn't find her character a feminist. If anything, the character she played on The Dick Van Dyke Show was more feminist because she wore capris and flats.
Somewhere in the distance, Betty Friedan and Gloria Steinam's blood just boiled.

Old 02-12-2015, 08:10 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
I don't remember much about Alice; I never watched it.

One Day At a Time's humor is very dated, and the characters are cartoonish.

I'm not surprised either one is not popular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV