Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 03:06 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,194,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Didn't he sing Still Crazy After All These Years on SNL 40?
Yes Paul Simon did at the end of the show I was answering somebody that said they didn't see Paul McCartney in the beginning of the show. He sang a small song with Paul Simon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 05:06 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,810,368 times
Best of Norm Macdonald SNL Weekend Update

Why Norm was the best:

Old 02-27-2015, 07:29 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,397,063 times
Using the platform of SNL...I'm going to catch SNL Sat...looks like
a lot of fun with Dakota Johnson!

Old 02-27-2015, 08:37 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,133,121 times
^^^ Best link in the thread, thank you N610DL. Note to self, N610DL should open up a clothing store because his Norm Macdonald link makes people crap their pants....he could make a fortune!

A few more thoughts about the question of which one you would prefer to spend an evening with, Belushi or Farley. It kinda depends on whether your going out on the town, or having them over to your house. With Farley you have to worry about him smashing up your coffee table, with John, he might bust up your guitar. But with John, he could also be good for a dinner party as Samurai Chef. Lots of things to consider with this one, very tough choice.

Other SNL memories, Al Franken declares on weekend update late 1979, the Me Decade is over and the 1980's will be the Al Franken decade. He predicts people will stop thinking about themselves, and start thinking more about Al Franken. He then says: I'll still be thinking of me, Al Franken. But for you, you'll be thinking more about how things affect me, Al Franken. When you see a news report, you'll be thinking, "I wonder what Al Franken thinks about this?", "I wonder how this inflation thing is hurting Al Franken?" What can I do to make life better for Al Franken? And you women will be thinking, "What can I wear that will please Al Franken?" His movie "Stuart Saves His Family" did not do well, but I at least thought it was watchable, much better than "It's Pat" movie from 1994....It Stunk!
Al Franken is a senator now, lol.

Remember the ZZ Top for president call in vote for 1984, hosted by father Guido Sarducci, the vote was for ZZ Top to become the nominee for Democratic Party, yes or no. ZZ Top won by a significant margin.

Other memories, the call in vote, yes or no, Does Larry the lobster go free or does he get cooked ? YOU decide, the final vote was close, 239,096 callers voted to save him and 227,452 voted to boil him, his life was spared by a very narrow margin.

Old 02-28-2015, 12:22 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,440,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
But with John, he could also be good for a dinner party as Samurai Chef.
He was also Pete Dionasopolis the Greek at The Olympia Cafe!
"Cheezborger, cheezborger, cheezborger!
"No fries! Cheeps!"
"No Coke! Pepzi!"

Loved that man.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:09 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,133,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
He was also Pete Dionasopolis the Greek at The Olympia Cafe!
"Cheezborger, cheezborger, cheezborger!
"No fries! Cheeps!"
"No Coke! Pepzi!"

Loved that man.
Chris Farley was good in Tommy Boy, but John Belushi was much better in Animal House and especially The Blues Brothers. The Blues Brothers is my favorite Belushi film, and in the top 10 for most fun to watch movies IMO ever made. 1980 was a magical year for movies and entertainment in general, they cranked out great movies like sausages that year with The Blues Brothers, Caddyshack, Airplane, 9 to 5, Used Cars, The Blue Lagoon, The Shining, The Empire Strikes Back, just to name a few. That was also the last year for Bill Murray, Jane Curtain and Gilda Radner on SNL, and the last of the original cast. I sort of have a hang up about the year 1980, it was a special time all the way around for TV and movie entertainment. It really took the sting off all the bad things that were happening at home and around the world in those days.

Not really sure however, if it's fair for me to compare Belushi to Farley in the movie genre. Farley was just getting warmed up whereas Belushi may have already peaked and was going in a different direction, I would like to think he was just getting started like Farley when he died, but John may have already topped the hill with his movie career and may have been heading downwards, it's hard to tell. The Steve Carell/Robbin Williams trick of making a successful jump from one genre to another in movies is difficult. Moving from comedy to serious is hard to do. I think John could have pulled it off if he really wanted to go that direction, he had the talent.

One more plus for John, he would never smash your guitar unless you were misusing it. There would be much less damage to your place with John visiting, vote for John.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:32 AM

17,599 posts, read 15,279,200 times
i never really cared for Animal House.. I know.. Most of you are giving me that same look that I get when I said "I didn't care for The Godfather"..Now.. Blues Brothers.. A top 10 movie.. Blues Brothers 2000.. Honestly, one of the biggest piles of crap I have ever seen, BUT.. The music saved it. The music in BB2K was almost as good as the original.. Plot was horrifying.

Farley and Belushi are probably equal footing.. They both made 1 great movie.. Argument could be made that Belushi made 2.. I think on SNL.. Farley gets the edge.. He made so many sketches.. Some of the Belushi sketches.. You could have plugged alot of people in there.. Not so with Farley.

Future projects.. Well, obviously, we can't know how things would have turned out.. So, equal there.. Belushi was supposed to be in Ghostbusters, and Farley was supposed to be Shrek. That's a toss up.

If I had to give an edge.. I'd go with Farley.. Probably because he's more from my era of SNL.. Belushi, I was 2 to 7 when he was on.. Farley, I was probably 15-20..

Old 03-01-2015, 10:53 AM

41,973 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
Norm was funny - and thanks for that link - but I'm a Dennis Miller girl.

Old 03-02-2015, 12:04 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,810,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Norm was funny - and thanks for that link - but I'm a Dennis Miller girl.
Dennis Miller was great too but Norm just didn't give a s*** about pissing people off. Dennis was classier in that regard, which is why he held out longer and had a better career.

Even with going on tour with O'Reilly, I'm sure he's still sitting pretty. Norm is bigger on the gambling circuit these days.

Old 03-02-2015, 12:30 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,556,387 times
I thought Dakota Johnson did pretty this week
Best Favorite guest on weekend update use to be Roseanne Roseannadanna Now its Jebidiah Atkinson
NEXT!

Last edited by hitman619; 03-02-2015 at 12:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV