Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 06:59 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,250,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_hot-day View Post
Are we almost at the end of this season?
That was it. That was the last episode.
I read that somewhere near 18 of 20 episodes of season 5 are "done" although whether that means written or filmed I'm not sure. In any case it will be several months I imagine before we see them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 07:02 AM

2,722 posts, read 5,471,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
That was it. That was the last episode.
I read that somewhere near 18 of 20 episodes of season 5 are "done" although whether that means written or filmed I'm not sure. In any case it will be several months I imagine before we see them.
Daaammmmmit!

Old 02-09-2017, 06:12 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,026,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
Not sure why people hate Ivar. He's awesome if you take him as he is instead of comparing him to Ragnar.

Ivar = the crazy, demented side of Ragnar. Brilliant strategist but much more impulsive than Rag ever was. The only son that is naturally adept at thinking outside of conventional norms in all situations.

Bjorn = he's a practical straight shooter like his mom but a little bit of a dreamer like his dad. Even blend of both parents.

Ubbe = strongest physical resemblance to Ragnar. He seems the most naturally confident of the sons without any obvious insecurities. Isn't prone to rash decision-making and is deliberate like Aslaug and Ragnar.

Hvitserk = ?? no one really knows though I suspect he's the ladies' man of the group.

Sigurd = Aslaug with some combat skills. I don't think his story is over...that "snake in the eye" has to mean something.
Yeah I don't get why people are saying the show has run it's course because Ragnar is gone. Ivar ends up accomplishing so much and I want to see where the show goes with that.

Old 02-09-2017, 01:08 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Quote:
Not sure why people hate Ivar. He's awesome if you take him as he is instead of comparing him to Ragnar.

Ivar = the crazy, demented side of Ragnar. Brilliant strategist but much more impulsive than Rag ever was. The only son that is naturally adept at thinking outside of conventional norms in all situations.
I think it's because he's a demented little punk with little charisma at this point. Personally, I think this is where the writers failed to do, flesh the characters out a bit more. Its worse with his brothers.

Quote:
Bjorn = he's a practical straight shooter like his mom but a little bit of a dreamer like his dad. Even blend of both parents.
Seems his path is also like Ragnar as he seems to be a little bit disillusioned at the end. Given that he washed his hands of his brothers, I wonder if we're going to see less of him. Certainly he's going to be part of Lagertha's storyline as she's having to deal with the betrayal of Kattegat by the Finehair brothers and well, she's going to die, so probably revenge story as well?

Quote:
Ubbe = strongest physical resemblance to Ragnar. He seems the most naturally confident of the sons without any obvious insecurities. Isn't prone to rash decision-making and is deliberate like Aslaug and Ragnar.

Hvitserk = ?? no one really knows though I suspect he's the ladies' man of the group.
I don't know if Ubbe is most confident of the boys. He's definitely the peace maker type, but his tendency to bend back and make excuses for Ivar makes me wonder if he's just undecisive/weak. Definitely strong physical resemblance to Ragnar... which kinda brings us to Hvitserk. I think he's supposed to somewhat resemble Rollo with his dark coloring and eagerness to prove himself in the battlefield. At least with this pair of brothers, there'll be no jealousy to mar their friendship. They have the most cohesive and loving relationship out of all the brothers. Probably a matter of time before Ivar tries to destroy that. The slave-girl wife is now in danger as Ivar now knows that she told.

Quote:
Sigurd = Aslaug with some combat skills. I don't think his story is over...that "snake in the eye" has to mean something.
I wish they went about this a better way, instead of just setting him as a prop for Ivar to destroy.

Old 02-09-2017, 04:30 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,610,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitasway View Post
Ivar ends up accomplishing so much and I want to see where the show goes with that.

On the show he's a boring, angry, man-child...Where can they go with that? More angry scowls? More arguments with his brothers? More generic battle scenes?

In real life he led raids and possibly killed a king or two. We already watched Ragnar do that.

The show is running out of sympathetic and/or interesting characters.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:45 AM

1,915 posts, read 1,481,472 times
Sigurd's death really bothers me. He's supposed to be the ancestor of the Danish royal line. In the show, he has no kids yet. How can he die by Ivar's hand if he's supposed to (historically) marry a Northumbrian princess and have several children and rule what is now Denmark?

On the historical Ivar, there is a theory that the translation to "boneless" is a mistranslation. His name in Latin is "Exosus" which means "the hated" but it could also be read as "Ex Osus" which as two word is "without bones." Although I'm not sure how they explain the tales of him having no bones. But I thought it was interesting none the less.

Since Ragnar died, I find myself siding more with the Anglo Saxons. I am interested in this new battle bishop character. I hope he's likable.

Old 02-10-2017, 01:57 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,026,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
On the show he's a boring, angry, man-child...Where can they go with that? More angry scowls? More arguments with his brothers? More generic battle scenes?

In real life he led raids and possibly killed a king or two. We already watched Ragnar do that.

The show is running out of sympathetic and/or interesting characters.
Yes, we saw Ragnar do what Ivar is supposed to do but I'm sure Ivar will approach his battles differently. I'm curious to see how he plans them out. The show is still interesting for me.

Old 02-11-2017, 12:37 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,000,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
I think it's because he's a demented little punk with little charisma at this point. Personally, I think this is where the writers failed to do, flesh the characters out a bit more. Its worse with his brothers.

Seems his path is also like Ragnar as he seems to be a little bit disillusioned at the end. Given that he washed his hands of his brothers, I wonder if we're going to see less of him. Certainly he's going to be part of Lagertha's storyline as she's having to deal with the betrayal of Kattegat by the Finehair brothers and well, she's going to die, so probably revenge story as well?

I don't know if Ubbe is most confident of the boys. He's definitely the peace maker type, but his tendency to bend back and make excuses for Ivar makes me wonder if he's just undecisive/weak. Definitely strong physical resemblance to Ragnar... which kinda brings us to Hvitserk. I think he's supposed to somewhat resemble Rollo with his dark coloring and eagerness to prove himself in the battlefield. At least with this pair of brothers, there'll be no jealousy to mar their friendship. They have the most cohesive and loving relationship out of all the brothers. Probably a matter of time before Ivar tries to destroy that. The slave-girl wife is now in danger as Ivar now knows that she told.

I wish they went about this a better way, instead of just setting him as a prop for Ivar to destroy.

I don't think Ivar is meant to be charismatic in the way Ragnar is. He IS still Aslaug's son after all, so I'm not too shocked that he didn't inherit Rag's charm. The writers (I think) want to set up Ivar as a great juxtaposition to the future Alfred the Great. They've already made it clear that both young men are extremely intelligent for their age; but whereas Alfred is calmer than still water, Ivar is a boiling inferno. Fire & Ice so to speak. The story wouldn't work well if Ivar and Alfred were mirrors of each other. I think that's what they're setting up.

Ubbe isn't much different than Bjorn, but you're right, he's very much the peacemaker. I think because he's the oldest of Aslaug's kids, he feels responsible for holding his brothers together. I never thought about about Hvitserk/Ubbe = Rollo/Ragnar....but that makes sense based on how they interact. Hvitserk and Ubbe don't have as much tension as Rollo/Ragnar likely because Ivar/Sigurd are so volatile that it keeps the more level headed brothers from clashing. They have to focus on keeping the other two from killing each other.

I can't believe that Sigurd is dead...it just wouldn't make sense. Unless (random theory) Sigurd is the "snake" in Ivar "eye" so to speak. Ivar is the visionary among his brother (the eye) and Sigurd was an obstacle.

Old 02-11-2017, 01:26 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Quote:

I can't believe that Sigurd is dead...it just wouldn't make sense. Unless (random theory) Sigurd is the "snake" in Ivar "eye" so to speak. Ivar is the visionary among his brother (the eye) and Sigurd was an obstacle.
The show has departed from the historical record in numerous ways, Egbert was dead for many years before the Great Heathen Army arrived is one example. That Rollo lived after the age of the legendary Ragnar is another. So, Ivar killing Snake Eye is one more departure...the show is going to do whatever it wants, use history when it suits them, make up stuff when that suits them.

Old 02-12-2017, 11:42 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
The show has departed from the historical record in numerous ways, Egbert was dead for many years before the Great Heathen Army arrived is one example. That Rollo lived after the age of the legendary Ragnar is another. So, Ivar killing Snake Eye is one more departure...the show is going to do whatever it wants, use history when it suits them, make up stuff when that suits them.
I was looking Jonathan Rhys Meyers' s character up. He's a Bishop named Heahmund who faced the Great Heathen Army with Prince Alfred and died in the Battle of Marton against Halfdan Ragnarsson, who was brother to Ivar, Bjorn, Ubba and Sigurd (all of whom were part of the Battle of Marton). I'm guessing Ivar will assume the role of Halfdan (Hvitserk will take over Sigurd's part) in the story. Should be interesting to see how they incorporate Bishop Heahmund into the series.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV