Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2015, 11:05 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,683,943 times

Advertisements

They must not know how deplorable programming our network programming here is in the US. Ad supporting models result
in crappy television.

60% of Brits want BBC licence fee scrapped in favour of ad-supported model | The Drum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2015, 11:25 AM

2,921 posts, read 1,987,907 times
Hard to believe they are still paying an annual license fee to watch television. When I was stationed in Scotland there was a fee and there were vehicles that would roam around and stop to detect if someone had a television plugged in and they'd make sure the person had a license to watch it. We made a habit of unplugging our televisions when not in use. We weren't paying a stinking fee to watch bloody over the air tv. Think it was around 40 British pounds at the time (mid-80's), Wikipedia lists it currently as 145.5 pounds for a color tv, and 49 for a black and white.

I'd much rather have commercials, plus you can always record shows then skip them.

Old 07-17-2015, 11:29 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,683,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
Hard to believe they are still paying an annual license fee to watch television. When I was stationed in Scotland there was a fee and there were vehicles that would roam around and stop to detect if someone had a television plugged in and they'd make sure the person had a license to watch it. We made a habit of unplugging our televisions when not in use. We weren't paying a stinking fee to watch bloody over the air tv. Think it was around 40 British pounds at the time (mid-80's), Wikipedia lists it currently as 145.5 pounds for a color tv, and 49 for a black and white.

I'd much rather have commercials, plus you can always record shows then skip them.

Or subscription TV

Commercial broadcasting sucks!!!!!!!

Old 07-17-2015, 04:05 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,268,827 times
Where I live if you want on the air reception, you may or may not see your favorite show depending on weather. Cable or satalite is very popular. And we still get ten zillion commericals except on pbs.

If I had to pay to watch tv, (well, basically I do, either online or Dish) I'd love to be able to watch something with at the least a strict limitation of no more than five minutes and hour of not your show.

Old 07-17-2015, 04:29 PM

11,642 posts, read 12,715,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post

Black and White? Are there any of those around?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV