Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2015, 12:47 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times

Advertisements

To everyone complaining about the pace......what the heck did you expect? You knew this show was going to be a progression in to the ZA. That means it's going to start out as normal and be that way for a good while, and then all hell will break loose...

So yeah, it was slow, but that's pretty much exactly what I expected.

The only critique I had of the show was a plausibility factor.... How many days did this episode span? 3? I would think that something like this, if it were to happen, would spread rapidly and there wouldn't be much time from the first walker till the whole world started panicking and falling apart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Yes. It was highly implausible the zombies all left the church and scattered unseen. Unless 90lb Gloria devoured them all and is lurking it off in some other room they didn't go in or out in the alley.

All the characters are just okay for now except I don't particularly care for the daughter. The whole disrepectful rebellious teen just seems trite and tired since Nick has that covered... i felt awkward because i thought there might have been some incestuous relationship between her and nick when she went to feed him jello but it was just an odd camera angle. Not to mention her totally forgettable boyfriend who is apparently already dead.
YES!!! I had that exact same thought, so you weren't the only one.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
It made me really miss TWD. I liked the kid Tobias that brought the knife to school. Kim Dickens that plays Madison sort of looks like Andrea from TWD. I just hope Madison doesn't call Travis "babe" the rest of the season. I thought the sister was going to kiss her brother Nick too when she was feeding him. Also expected the guy in the next bed to turn with Nick restrained in his bed.

Frank Dillane that plays Nick does look like a young Johnny Depp. If he can stay away from drugs I think Nick is going to take over the reins now that he knows he is not crazy.
I thought when the nurse came in and looked over to where the old man was and said "are you trying to make a run for it" that he had already turned.

Old 08-25-2015, 02:34 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I FORGOT TO WATCH IT!!!!!!

Need to wait until next Sunday to watch.
They all fit in the schedule nicely.

Fear the Walking Dead.....6-7:30pm

The Last Ship.....8-9pm

Falling Skies.....9-10pm

The Strain.....10-11:06pm

Old 08-25-2015, 03:41 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,201,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
They all fit in the schedule nicely.

Fear the Walking Dead.....6-7:30pm

The Last Ship.....8-9pm

Falling Skies.....9-10pm

The Strain.....10-11:06pm

But I am busy watching and recording other stuff too on Sundays now. Too many good shows all on Sunday nights. I remember other than The Ed Sullivan show and perhaps a movie, Sunday was a death sentence.

Old 08-25-2015, 04:57 AM

1,626 posts, read 1,356,933 times
Meh, it was okay. I expected it to be slow and spend an inordinate amount of time on the family in the attempt to get us invested in the characters. At first I didn't like any of them, but by the end I found I was enjoying Nick. I think he has the most potential to step up, but also the most potential to melt down. And the actor who plays him is completely believable. I'm glad the show mostly revolved around him and hope it continues to do so. The mom and daughter were boring. I really don't like the stepdad but for right now he's immune and won't be killed, oh well.

One thing that's really missing for me is that we the audience know far more than the characters, so there is no big "reveal" and we are not experiencing the same surprise and shock that the characters are. That creates kind of a disconnect, and makes it feel more like a documentary to me (if that makes any sense).

Old 08-25-2015, 05:24 AM

8,047 posts, read 10,638,176 times
I am a big WD fan, but I couldn't make it through the first five minutes of this. Location, characters, chemistry, story, originality, not there. Like a cheap "Movie of the Week". I'll pass.

Old 08-25-2015, 06:31 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,817,167 times
Some observations:

No, it's not surprising that the junkie did not cooperate with the police. No, it's not surprising that the mother of the junkie with repeated legal and substance issues did not cooperate with the police. And no, it's not surprising that the would-be stepfather who is trying to establish some sort of connection with his junkie would-be stepson would not alert the police to a possible bloodbath at the heroin den where his junkie would-be stepson was high. Seriously, this is east LA. LAPD is not viewed as a bunch of officer friendlies by most of the populace.

The teens. It's about conflict. All dramas are. This group of people is not going to develop into a swashbuckling zombie-slaying fellowship. Everyone is going to have a different agenda. Junkies? Yeah, they're kinda jerks. The whole OMG-my-smack-supply-is-gone-forever is a nice touch for entering a zombie apocalypse. And the semi-estranged children in that strange half-light between childhood and adulthood offer substantial ground for conflict and development and whatnot.

There's plenty of mindless television for people who can't tolerate character development.

Oh, and a side-note:
I used to work at the quasi-official publisher of U.S. legal decisions, West Publishing (as it was known then). One job I was tasked with was proofing edits in to-be-published decisions. Along the way, I read a lot of interesting decisions, because many appellate decisions delve deeply into the facts of cases. And what I learned above all is that people do not behave rationally, especially regarding high stress situations as well as interfacing with law enforcement. Idiots don't. And the highly intelligent and highly educated don't. No, they often don't behave they way you're sure everyone really would behave from your vantage point on the sofa in front of the television. People often behave inexplicably. In fact, fiction tends to be completely the opposite - characters tend to be far more rational and prescient than in real life.

So if you find yourself often thinking "No one would ever do that!", well... in the real world they probably would to 'that' more often than the writers of fiction or you would allow.

I give the pilot a B. Nothing spectacular, but I have no issue with the pacing and the lack of zombie melees. I watch for the things that are far more interesting than the melees - which I accept because they're a necessary element of the new reality of this fictional universe. The show doesn't look like it's trying to be TWD. That's the best news of all. I love TWD, but I want a different take on things rather than more of the same, and it looks like that's what we'll get.

Old 08-25-2015, 06:35 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,388,757 times
I like the slow pace in the beginning. It provides for more drama and suspense leading up to the explosion of violence that will soon happen. This is similar to the movie "The Exercist". Regan did not show any signs of possession until late in the movie. The audience hung on every scene looking for signs.

The movie "World War Z" started right in to the action and the way Brad Pitt jumped from location to location did not allow for any character development so you did not care who died. Only when he stopped to help the Israeli soldier did the movie get any meaning.

Old 08-25-2015, 08:07 AM

363 posts, read 988,914 times
This show is a disaster. Combine a strung out Edward Scissorhands clone with Smiley from Training Day just doesn't work. The only thing I came away from episode 1 is working in a school pays so little that you have to drive through the ZA in a 70's something model Ford F150.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV