Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2015, 11:41 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,256,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I wonder if there was more to that light than just some one signalling for help but trying to warn them through morse code. Either way you would think they would have gone to the soldiers immediately with it but i guess after 9 days in the camp they had been assured that no one was out there and that all healthy people were in camps.

I wonder what happened to the dad that drove his car up to the fence...

I thought the ex wife who had been outed as not really being a nurse leaving her son to to with the soldiers was not likely. I just couldn't see a mom leaving her son behind like that. I know we are supposed to believe she has been this great caregiver and is now emotionally invested in her patients but I didn't get enough time to buy in to that with her character.

We finally get a behind the walls no zombie episode that some people claim they had to see and while I'm ok with that this just had too much to pull off and the only solid character is Nick behaving as we'd expect him too. Everybody else is more just plot devices to me. 6 episodes is just too short of a season.
I believe the Federal Dr. taking a liking to Liza because of her unorthodox thinking and treatment is a clue to what they are ultimately up to. But why she decided to tag along? My guess is because in those final moments she realized that something malicious is going on and feels guilty to have brought Griselda and Nick into it.

I think Madison was solid in this episode. Along with Daniel and perhaps Chris she is the only other character so far who seems to grasp the possibility that something else is really happening. I think that Ofelia is catching on that the Guardsman she is attempting to use for drugs is not going to play ball, and that because of that, they may not be as "helpful" and protecting as they seem.

It would be interesting if someone can translate the flashes into morse code...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspe4 View Post

I do find it odd, as another member posted, that no one has turned on a radio to listen to media reports. I know in 2010 people weren't so tech-savvy that they no longer at least kept an analog AM/FM radio around somewhere-an old Walkman or a clock radio or something similar.
Duh, because they too busy catching waves, catching Sun, and being cool, obviously.

This is a total hole in the plot but I imagine the allowed 15 minutes of power per day has something to do with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 05:58 AM

1,626 posts, read 1,360,468 times
This ep was a snooze-fest for me. No walkers, but lots of eerie music. Unfortunately, music does not and cannot pick up the slack for bland characters and less-than-stellar writing and story construction.

We're 4 shows into the season and I still don't like or care about any of the characters. I'm not interested in a mediocre family drama. I'll watch to the end of the season, unless somehow magically I manage to start caring even a little bit about one of them. Too bad, cause I was really hyped for this show.

Old 09-22-2015, 06:55 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,970,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
As mentioned it was gunfire. For one, the entire room lights up, and two, if you can re-watch that last scene you can hear gun-fire off in the distance in conjunction with the room lighting up.

I do wonder why Madison did not go all the way to signal house but when she was talking to Daniel it seems as if she had seen enough to deter her.

The National Guard bit seems a tad corny and suspicious to me at this point in time, sure, but previews for next Sunday's episode indicate that we will get more info on why they are there and what they are really up to, maybe. Captain Moyers made a few references to "orders from higher ups", which could be BS or it could be indication that life is still existing beyond the DMs fence somewhere. My guess, is that is where Nick and Grisdella are going... ...outside of DM considering that those inside the DM are supposed to be healthy ones.

No helicopters or Military jets in the sky does seem odd. When Rick made it to Atlanta he had to take refuge in a tank in TWD S1 and we later learned that napalm was used at least once on Atlanta in S5. There is still a lot that needs to happen from what know from TWD so I would suspect that the full-scale Military response has yet to take place.

What is currently holding me in disbelief is that there are ~4M people just in the actual City of Los Angeles alone and yet nearly all were relocated or are dead according to Capt. Moyers? That's a lot of people to move and or kill in only a handful of days.

I also used to work for a fence company, there is no way that they put up six miles of fence in only a handful of days even if the entire Guard unit lent a hand not to mention the semi's required to deliver that amount of fence. It won't take a herd that long to knock it down. At least the prison had three fence lines, cement walls, and a bunch of iron gates...

The POTUS can federalize the Guard and send them to which-ever State is necessary so you know, they don't have to face detaining their own family, friends, and neighbors.

I was hoping the signaling was from Tobias.

People's Republic of what? Berkeley?
They said a six miles radius around their neighborhood was supposedly clean/infection free. The city of Los Angeles is over 500 square miles and LA County is over 4,750 square miles. Calculating the area of a circle at 6 miles around the neighborhood, you get 113.1 square miles (A = pi * radius squared). So, it's 22% of Los Angeles, and about 2% of LA County. So, that 6 miles radius is what is infection free, not all of Los Angeles. Is Travis' neighborhood actually in LA, or is it a suburb on the outskirts?

I assume they haven't fenced off 113 square miles - most likely, the blocks around Travis' neighborhood. Given that the yards all seem pretty small, I doubt they even have 1 square mile fenced off - it seems like only several blocks. That said, I think they also mentioned that there are several of these national guard outposts on the outskirts of Los Angeles, as the guard is attempting to surround the city for an offensive into Los Angeles. (I thought it was mentioned at the end of episode 3?)

My guess is that the National Guard all over is dealing with local emergencies and are seemingly stretched to the limits. (Still bothers me, though, is what happened to that guy in the tank from episode 1 of TWD - he should have been safe till he ran out of gas. No way for the walkers to get into a tank... the military could have just lured the walkers en masse to kill zones and just ran them over with tanks. Then, send in guys on foot to finish off the smashed and semi-smashed walkers by hand.)

Old 09-22-2015, 08:20 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,119,732 times
That final scene was scary.

at this point, I feel like the neighborhood is some kind of experiment, the gov't/military has the area quarantined and waiting to see what happens to a "healthy" group of people

Old 09-22-2015, 08:52 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,256,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
They said a six miles radius around their neighborhood was supposedly clean/infection free. The city of Los Angeles is over 500 square miles and LA County is over 4,750 square miles. Calculating the area of a circle at 6 miles around the neighborhood, you get 113.1 square miles (A = pi * radius squared). So, it's 22% of Los Angeles, and about 2% of LA County. So, that 6 miles radius is what is infection free, not all of Los Angeles. Is Travis' neighborhood actually in LA, or is it a suburb on the outskirts?

I assume they haven't fenced off 113 square miles - most likely, the blocks around Travis' neighborhood. Given that the yards all seem pretty small, I doubt they even have 1 square mile fenced off - it seems like only several blocks. That said, I think they also mentioned that there are several of these national guard outposts on the outskirts of Los Angeles, as the guard is attempting to surround the city for an offensive into Los Angeles. (I thought it was mentioned at the end of episode 3?)

My guess is that the National Guard all over is dealing with local emergencies and are seemingly stretched to the limits. (Still bothers me, though, is what happened to that guy in the tank from episode 1 of TWD - he should have been safe till he ran out of gas. No way for the walkers to get into a tank... the military could have just lured the walkers en masse to kill zones and just ran them over with tanks. Then, send in guys on foot to finish off the smashed and semi-smashed walkers by hand.)
East LA is unincorperated and I believe lies outside of the city limits.

I did not catch the part about the infection free radius... my mind immediately went into thoughts of previous employment where I helped install a fence around the parameter of a major U.S. airport and how long it took us to go around the airport... I was thinking circumference...

Yeah, I believe he said that there were six such outposts.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:50 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,927,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
so far, we haven't seen the soldiers (or a soldier) hoarding water or other supplies, like we did that cop a few episodes ago.

Also, remember that the National Guard are mostly part-time soldiers - 15 days of training per year is what is required, I believe. The other 350 days, they're engineers, accountants, plumbers, small business owners, truck drivers, etc. Most of the police are full-time law enforcement professionals who likely have annual training requirements.

Agree overall, though, that the National Guard's situation is probably more complex than what we see on the TV. Remember, in the original series, Shane mentioned the government told people to go into the cities for safety in numbers, but it just turned them into zombie feeding zones. They then napalmed the cities as well. (We saw roasted walkers - still living - last season when they went back to Atlanta to rescue Beth.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
What would you expect from a bunch of "weekend warriers" when they are issued guns and given "authority" over their neighbors?
The soldiers are just following orders...they have to believe the powers that be have the answers

not to mention the powers that be aren't telling the soldiers everything..there is a point where they will refuse to follow orders without proper propaganda

im sure the soldiers were ordered to kill peeps who did not comply with the quarantine...and the soldiers had to believe they HAD to do this to stop the spread and keep the others from getting infected

Old 09-22-2015, 09:59 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,920,044 times
I feel like it's already skipped over the start of the zombie apocalypse, that plot thread is over, and we simply have another "Governor" or "Terminus" setting.
The previous show ended with riots (ironically related to police abuse, rather than anything related to zombie panic), and electrical outages..and here and there a zombie. What happened in those 9 days since the last show? Was there panic? Mass zombie attacks? News reports of what was happening in the rest of the world? We only know the population of LA was evacuated except in certain guarded areas, some sort of attempts at military containment, there appears to be some period of confusion as seen by the missing persons wall (that was a good touch, but in context, really didn't make sense with a quick evacuation), a fence was put up in these zones, there appears to be some holdouts that did not evacuate (that makes sense), those that are left outside appear to be killed by the military. Hints of other refugee camps.
So now the rest of the season I am afraid will be a repeat of WD in Terminus or something, with the cliché of the evil military soldiers taking the place of The Governor, and the setting restricted to this camp, and the questions remain unanswered - how did civilization fall? It would have been better served to have the first season just be about those 9 days outside of the fenced area.

Old 09-22-2015, 10:49 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,119,732 times
the final scene with the "light flashers" getting rocked was creepy as hell.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:02 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,920,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2balive View Post
The soldiers are just following orders...they have to believe the powers that be have the answers

not to mention the powers that be aren't telling the soldiers everything..there is a point where they will refuse to follow orders without proper propaganda

im sure the soldiers were ordered to kill peeps who did not comply with the quarantine...and the soldiers had to believe they HAD to do this to stop the spread and keep the others from getting infected
Well, we should always remember in these discussions - we aren't dealing with soldiers following orders of course. We are dealing with scriptwriters writing a melodramatic TV script and there interpretation of what a soldier would do, for the purposes of drama and entertainment in this TV show.
When anticipating the future course of a TV show, we shouldn't anticipate what would happen in real life, we should anticipate what the scriptwriters want to happen.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:11 AM

32,120 posts, read 34,787,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
It seemed a little crappy to fast forward past the first 9 days of the incident. I mean the entire reason for this show was to explain how it started and what happened as society fell apart. We know where we end up weeks later - but I want to see everything going down across the metro area during the first week or so.

The first 3 episodes covered around 48 hours and got us to the point that the infection and zombies FINALLY started to bring a halt to everyday life - and then right when things should finally start getting good.....they just zoom us 9 days in the future and the initial craziness is apparently all over.

I don't really love any of the characters. They keep showing family drama, and all I want to know is what's happening in this six mile border area around their fence. What's going on outside of that area? Chaos? Are the roads completely jammed trying to get out of Los Angeles? What's going on everywhere else in the country? Why no news of downtown LA....New York....the government in DC. It's like none of these characters care about anything. They're all so "cool" with everything and just act like this is some normal irratant in their lives.

Where is everyone outside of this neighborhood????

In the original series you see what happened to Atlanta. All roads are blocked out of town with thousands of cars, military everywhere, the remains of chaos.

I would think these past 9 days we just skipped over would be crazy with 18 million people in the LA area running for their lives, rioting and just plain freaking out. Instead we just have our regular old neighborhood here with our usual famliies living in their houses and then everyone else just seems to be "gone".
Budget constraints?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV