Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 11:11 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,609,565 times

Advertisements

Imitation is the sincerest form of television.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 03:40 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonFire View Post
Am I the only one that seems to notice that television especially cable television, is stuffed full of redneck reality shows like Duck Dynasty, Pawn stars, gold Rush, and Ect....? How long is this trend going to last? I am not trying to bash any shows but im just curious about why these shows seem to be popular?
I'm still trying to figure out who the heck is watching all of the Real Housewives shows. Must be a lot of people for them to spin off new ones in different places.

Old 07-14-2015, 05:24 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Don't watch them, so couldn't say!

Wise choice. Most southern people are smarter than those yahoos on the reality shows.

Old 07-14-2015, 08:32 PM

54 posts, read 72,644 times
I think it does half to do with a lot with hey lets all laugh at the country "bumpkins." But i also think Many people( especially people in the suburbs) have this over romanticized view, of the country and think its all muddin, drinkin, and partying. So I feel many people who watch these shows wish they where like these "rednecks."

Old 07-14-2015, 08:46 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
We have hundreds of channels on our TV with lots of choices. Perhaps consider upping your options?

Old 07-15-2015, 05:07 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
Quote:
Am I the only one that seems to notice that television especially cable television, is stuffed full of redneck reality shows like Duck Dynasty, Pawn stars, gold Rush, and Ect....? How long is this trend going to last? I am not trying to bash any shows but im just curious about why these shows seem to be popular?
Never hear of Ect., must be on a premium channel

I actually like the one about the bootleggers and Alaskan Bush People is pretty good. The characters on the bootlegger show come across as "typical hicks" initially but if you watch the show you realize they are not as dumb as you believe them to be. Some of the schemes they come up are pretty darn ingenious. ABP are just an odd bunch of characters but they seem to be very intelligent and don't hide that fact. They could easily play the role of dumb hill billies and cash in but they don't. There was one recent episode where the mom was homeschooling one of the daughters; it was a chemistry lesson and she had the daughter build a molecule using shells and rocks as the atoms and twigs as the bonds. Then she had the daughter recall some facts about the molecule, atoms, and so on. I mean c'mon, the mom has like three teeth and this is what she teaches one of her daughters! They could have easily played the "God, Guns, and Texas" trope but they didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
Descent Actors are going to cost you some money. Reality stars are cheaper and easily replaced. The fat cats are simply greedy.
I don't think they make too much money, they are just easy and cheap to make.

Quote:
I think it does half to do with a lot with hey lets all laugh at the country "bumpkins." But i also think Many people( especially people in the suburbs) have this over romanticized view, of the country and think its all muddin, drinkin, and partying. So I feel many people who watch these shows wish they where like these "rednecks."
Nah, they all think the "country" is full of slack-jawed yokels, teen pregnancy, Uncle Billy Bob, Billy Bob, his son Billy Bob, Jr., his other son Billy Bob, Jr., their dog Billy, and the other dog Bob.

Then again, there is country and then there is hillbilly. There are plenty of non-redneck country folk and many rednecks live in cities.

Old 07-16-2015, 06:48 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,031,370 times
White trash is the new black.

Old 07-16-2015, 06:58 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,261,268 times
I'll watch this show about hillbillies any time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtvTE3m5jpM

Old 07-16-2015, 09:21 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,279,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Wise choice. Most southern people are smarter than those yahoos on the reality shows.
Very true. But it isn't just a southern thing. We have lots of rednecks here in Maine.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:42 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times
This is why I stick to public TV and the British shows. They are superb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV