Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 07:37 PM

9,102 posts, read 6,327,077 times

Advertisements

For those of you who remember life before the year 2000, NBC was once a great broadcast network that produced some really good television programs in the 1980s and 1990s. What the hell happened to them? They were owned by RCA for several decades but here are some recent ownership changes that may have played into the decay of their performance.
  • 1986 - purchased by GE
  • 2004 - merged with Universal Motion Pictures
  • 2007 - Jeffrey Zucker became CEO
  • 2009 - Comcast gained 51% of ownership
  • 2013 - Comcast became 100% owner

NBC timeline: Key dates in its history - Business - US business - Media biz | NBC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2016, 08:51 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,151,044 times
They still have plenty of good shows that I watch. Chicago Fire, Chicago Med, Chicago PD, Law and Order SVU, Dateline, etc. I watch NBC a lot more than CBS or ABC.

Old 07-09-2016, 09:13 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,227,406 times
When Comcast bought out everyone and owns everything. Zucker got over 30 million and can't blame him. But who really knows who the bad guy is. It's all just business. NBC still has a few good shows but i think in the near future everything is going via the net and places like NBC are going the way of the newspaper. Down as it's all social media and gaining every day.

A smart play on Comcast's part.

Old 07-09-2016, 10:33 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,218,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brienzi View Post
When Comcast bought out everyone and owns everything. Zucker got over 30 million and can't blame him. But who really knows who the bad guy is. It's all just business. NBC still has a few good shows but i think in the near future everything is going via the net and places like NBC are going the way of the newspaper. Down as it's all social media and gaining every day.

A smart play on Comcast's part.
How is that a smart play on Comcast's part??????

Old 07-10-2016, 02:37 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,711,454 times
Because they got a production studio out of the deal, a major theme park presence in Orlando, and the relationships with talent, crew and other production studios to feed into whatever distribution infrastructure ends up being standard at any one time.

Old 07-10-2016, 03:48 AM

14,783 posts, read 8,117,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
For those of you who remember life before the year 2000, NBC was once a great broadcast network that produced some really good television programs in the 1980s and 1990s. What the hell happened to them? They were owned by RCA for several decades but here are some recent ownership changes that may have played into the decay of their performance.
  • 1986 - purchased by GE

NBC timeline: Key dates in its history - Business - US business - Media biz | NBC News
They still have some great shows! The Blacklist and Dateline are two of the finest programs on television at the present moment in my opinion...and I really only watch a handful of shows. And actually of the three or four major networks, I think that NBC produces the best quality shows.

Old 07-10-2016, 05:43 AM

2,921 posts, read 1,987,907 times
All three Big 3 networks haven't aged gracefully, imo. I could find a show or two on all three I like, but for the most part I don't watch them for anything other than the local and national news, and their national news is so biased you have to take in the information with a grain of salt. It's something that's happened over time for all three networks as far as regular programming, and for NBC Nightly News when John Chancellor left the anchor chair and Brokaw took over there was an immediate change from straight news reporting to a liberal slant that got worse and worse over time. I can barely stomach watching Lester Holt and their field reporters these days.

NBC does have Grimm so it's not all bad. Love that show, and I'm sure others don't. So part of it is personal taste. The shows I like started out on many different channels, including cable, that I picked up on later on Netflix, Hulu Plus, and even Acorn TV for British (mostly), Canadian (19-2), and Australian (A Place to Call Home) content.

My second paragraph shows how fickle we as consumers can be now that we have so many stations/channels to watch. Back in the 70's & early 80's a lot of people didn't believe cable was a necessary expense so didn't get it, leaving them with the Big 3 and PBS. Not many options there, so it was a matter of watching what was on or doing something else with our time. Believe me, there was a lot of bad tv back then, some of it we watched, some we didn't. Wasn't a big deal either way, unless something big was happening like who shot J.R. on Dallas, a heavyweight title fight, the Olympics, a presidential election, etc. We didn't have cable and a lot of what we watched were things I know I wouldn't have had there been the number of choices we have today. A lot of it is perception.

On a side note: It'll be a sad day for sports fans if the NFL ever stops being shown on over-the-air television. Baseball, hockey, and basketball all have gone to cable. And not just to any cable, for me to watch the Detroit Red Wings or Detroit Tigers I had to have U-verse 300, which I eventually got rid of. Couldn't see spending that much money just to watch a couple of sports teams.

Old 07-10-2016, 07:10 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,730,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Because they got a production studio out of the deal, a major theme park presence in Orlando, and the relationships with talent, crew and other production studios to feed into whatever distribution infrastructure ends up being standard at any one time.
Yup for sure.

Now to be clear I dont think NBC has "turned to crap" but I think it is bad any time a service provider (Comcast) becomes a production company (through their purchase of NBCU). It is usually a horrible conflict of interest.

Old 07-10-2016, 07:43 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,499,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
  • 1986 - purchased by GE
  • 1993 - Letterman left for CBS

I believe it's the second item on your list.

Old 07-10-2016, 09:48 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,955,645 times
Saved By The Bell...that was definitely the turning point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV