Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 12:38 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,207,099 times

Advertisements

Last year it was ABC. Now it's CBS and FOX. Threatening to discontinue the broadcasting of those channels. Did they refund anyone one red cent last year for losing a MAJOR NETWORK for however long it was?? NO.

When Bright House in Florida tried to tell me of great deals with Direct Tv, I stopped him in mid sentence and told him I didn't want anything to do with Direct Tv. He asked "why?" I said "because I have them!" He was a little shocked.

This could start tomorrow. (Oct 1st) I am hoping it doesn't because I watch plenty of CBS shows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 05:36 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,800,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Last year it was ABC. Now it's CBS and FOX. Threatening to discontinue the broadcasting of those channels. Did they refund anyone one red cent last year for losing a MAJOR NETWORK for however long it was?? NO.

When Bright House in Florida tried to tell me of great deals with Direct Tv, I stopped him in mid sentence and told him I didn't want anything to do with Direct Tv. He asked "why?" I said "because I have them!" He was a little shocked.

This could start tomorrow. (Oct 1st) I am hoping it doesn't because I watch plenty of CBS shows.

had no idea!! I need to call them right now.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:24 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,880,620 times
Glad I get my networks over the air with an antenna. Anyway, this happens during contract negotiations with every provider and every network.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:58 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,730,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post

Are those the Tribune networks? Those were reported to be in negotiations with Directv, At&T, and Dish all at the same time

EDIT: I misspoke

Quote:
At issue are Tribune Media’s agreements with AT&T U-Verse, Media General deals with DirecTV (recently acquired by AT&T) and the Tegna contract with Dish Network. Tegna (the former Gannett station group) controls 51 stations, Media General operates or services 71 and Tribune runs 42, according to their websites.
http://deadline.com/2015/09/tribune-...tv-1201553803/

It should be said though that Directv isnt "at" anything again. These things happen because the networks want more money. The carriers (Dish, Directv, Time Warner, Comcast, etc) dont want to pay more because then people will complain that their bills went up - not that they will stop increasing anyway but carriage deals are the #1 cause.

Old 09-30-2015, 10:58 AM

23,602 posts, read 70,446,439 times
I'm glad to no longer be a pawn to the machinations of media moguls. Gave Directv the boot a few months ago.

Old 09-30-2015, 03:09 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,250,037 times
Oh boy, if this is true my husband is going to have them rip everything out. We just had Direct TV installed 2 wks. ago tomorrow & we have already had a major issue with them. I signed up & locked in for $45.99 mo/for 1 yr. with recording 5 channels. After the installer had everything hooked up (3 hrs.) my husband asked him about the DVR recording. That is when he informed us that this price did not include recording programs. After a very heated argument with CS they waived the "one time fee" of $100 & we have to pay an additional $16.00 to record.

We had had D TV in NC for 4 yrs. & never had a problem. We have made up for it in the 2 wks. we have relocated.

Old 09-30-2015, 04:27 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,730,456 times
Ive been with Directv for 14 years. I think in all that time we lost OLN (now NBCSN) that one time during hockey season and MAYBE the Viacom networks once. The Viacom one didnt last long as I recall (mater of days if anything). Beyond that I cant recall losing networks during those 14 years. They always get this stuff worked out.

As far as customer service Ive had one issue and that was more due to an idiot CSR and not the company as a whole. Even today I called with a bad receiver and they are shipping one out.

Old 09-30-2015, 04:43 PM

19,786 posts, read 22,688,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
Oh boy, if this is true my husband is going to have them rip everything out. We just had Direct TV installed 2 wks. ago tomorrow & we have already had a major issue with them. I signed up & locked in for $45.99 mo/for 1 yr. with recording 5 channels. After the installer had everything hooked up (3 hrs.) my husband asked him about the DVR recording. That is when he informed us that this price did not include recording programs. After a very heated argument with CS they waived the "one time fee" of $100 & we have to pay an additional $16.00 to record.

We had had D TV in NC for 4 yrs. & never had a problem. We have made up for it in the 2 wks. we have relocated.
I hear you. I hate D TV. We moved to Montana 5 years ago and had it moved with us. Prior to that we had D TV for 15 years- no problems. 3-4 years ago when the Redskins made the playoffs, I called D TV for the Sunday Ticket and specifically asked if I could watch the game(s). I explained we were in a rural area of MT with ZERO over the air-signal to networks. Of course they said "sure!!"

Wrong. Went to watch the game- blacked out. I called CS and they told me it was broadcast on my local channel. I explained the situation over again, got transferred a bunch of times and ended up with a real jerk who refused to rebate my cost of the NFL ticket. His manager backed him up.

So I called again and requested cancellation. I got about 5 phone calls from people tying to get me to stay, including rebates, free NFL ticket (which is worthless to me) yadda-yadda. No dice. I told them to stuff it. If they treat a 15 year customer like they did on the front end to hell with them. I went to DISH and frankly I like it a lot better. The hopper is nice, the selection is great and I pay $30 p/mo less and get more than what I had before.

D TV is only better than DISH in their crappy, gimmicky marketing B.S. Good riddance!

Old 09-30-2015, 04:48 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,237,559 times
I'm pretty sure this is DISH, not DirecTV.

Old 09-30-2015, 04:52 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,964,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I'm pretty sure this is DISH, not DirecTV.

Is it also area dependent? I saw a ticker at the top of the screen on ABC on Saturday afternoon but it did say Dish as we have Direct TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV