Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2016, 08:56 AM

1,227 posts, read 2,064,503 times

Advertisements

It's not that I like Kata, but Christina always seemed to praise her so much I was surprised she picked Bryan over her!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 09:01 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,735,794 times
I am also glad Caroline is gone. I really think that when you compare two fifteen year old girls side by side - Caroline and Shalyah -- Shalyah blows her out of the water and makes her look like a little girl in comparison. Plus, I like Shalyah a little better in terms of personality. She is adorable when talking about how her family struggled for her to be able to do this. Caroline didn't show much personality other than being cute and short.

I've been annoyed by Caroline most of the time, because I think Adam keeps picking her because she is a cute little girl. That got really annoying, particularly when it hurt Mike Schiavo, who was enjoyable and fun and completely boned over by Adam. I don't want to hate on a little fifteen year old girl for following her dreams, but I think if Caroline would have waited a couple of years to compete it would have been to her own benefit.

I really think people drove out to vote for Laith knowing that Adam wouldn't save him. Adam would save Owen, but not Laith. I think he was planning to save Caroline and having Laith in the popular vote threw him for a loop.

Honestly, I think Alisan will win, but I think Owen and Bryan both have a better chance for a career in music than she does. (Similar to how Melanie Martinez didn't win, but seems to have a bigger career than most winners) Bryan fits into current R&B very well. He is handsome and charismatic.... looks a little like Drake, but then sings like Brian McKnight. He also seems to know who he is and that helps!

I also think that folk music, alternative with a folk influence, and alt-country is huge currently (think: Avett Brothers, The Lumineers, Mumford and Sons, etc) and I think there is a huge market for what Owen can do, which is use lyrics to truly tell a tale. He reminds me a little bit of Ryan Adams and Josh Ritter (um, if Owen could sing "Girl in the War" that would be great!)

I just think Alisan is very old-fashioned and am not sure where she would go in today's music and I don't think she knows that, either. I think she is great for the things she was doing (Broadway).

Old 04-14-2016, 01:40 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
I was shocked Blake picked Paxton too. I read he was the only artist who didn't rank in the top 150 itunes.

When I saw Owen left in the group to save, my first thought was thank gawd Caroline is gone! LOL She needs to develop her voice. She sounds like a child too often.

Really the only person with a difficult decision to make was Christina. I'll miss Ryan.

Can't believe Pharrell picked Emily. He's very loyal.
Totally agree on your assessment of Caroline. I'm surprised she got through the audition round, honestly. I'm not surprised Pharrell picked Emily, although I think he made a mistake. I'm not reading a lot of Emily love, based on audience reactions here and elsewhere. I agree with you about Paxton too. He's got an awesome personality and is so fun, but I think he's really a better dancer and entertainer than he is a singer. I think Blake picked him to round out his team a little better and give his team more of a chance to win.

Old 04-14-2016, 02:14 PM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfancier View Post
That drives me nuts too... I keep thinking, "did they hear the same song I just did?" Maybe my
television makes them pitchy??? Especially Shaylah... she absolutely went sour yet everyone went ape---- over her performance. I admit I'm just not a fan of "screamers"... that "take us to church" stuff
rarely appeals to me. Just sing the damn song rather than "emote" .
Thank you! I don't get the appeal of Shaylah at all.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:02 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,721,445 times
Quote:
I also think that folk music, alternative with a folk influence, and alt-country is huge currently (think: Avett Brothers, The Lumineers, Mumford and Sons, etc) and I think there is a huge market for what Owen can do, which is use lyrics to truly tell a tale. He reminds me a little bit of Ryan Adams and Josh Ritter (um, if Owen could sing "Girl in the War" that would be great!)
You have excellent taste in music!!

If Adam had not saved Owen I would have jumped in the car and driven over the mountain and given him a smack. Owen is my total fave. He should move to Nashville right now and hang with his people.

Old 04-15-2016, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
You have excellent taste in music!!

If Adam had not saved Owen I would have jumped in the car and driven over the mountain and given him a smack. Owen is my total fave. He should move to Nashville right now and hang with his people.
I think he knew he had to save Owen. Of the performances on his team, Shalyah (which I am thinking something with her gets lost in translation through the TV -- people live were going nuts for her more so than The Chosen One) and Owen were easily the best. I think he might have chosen Caroline over Laith for the save, which would have been wrong because Laith is crazy talented and Caroline still needs a couple of years.

I have to say - in the behind the scenes videos, I loved the friendship between Ryan and Owen. I'm going to miss that! their videos were pretty funny.

Ryan (reading a fan question): Do you prefer Wendy's or McDonald's?
Ryan: I try not to eat fast foo--
Owen: WENDY'S - DEFINITELY WENDY'S.

Does anyone remember Jubal and Amanda from last season? The one where he proposed during the blind audition and it was cheesy and they were really not very good at all? And they lost to Amy. Crazy, but the broke up and he got married to someone else before this season started. That's pretty nuts.

Old 04-16-2016, 09:59 AM

1,227 posts, read 2,064,503 times
I don't remember her name but I didn't like the one who sang "Listen". I thought she screamed the whole time but the audience loved it.

Alisan is my favorite so far with Laith not far behind.

Old 04-16-2016, 04:13 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSinger View Post
It's not that I like Kata, but Christina always seemed to praise her so much I was surprised she picked Bryan over her!
She got screwed. Bryan is underwhelming, very flat at times and his falsetto doesn't sound very good. I thought his rendition of "Pillow Talk" was just average. But Christina seems to have a bit of a crush on him which is why I think he got picked. I loved how she justified her decision based off of what America wanted, LOL. If that's the case why wasn't he America's first OR second choice on her team out of six people? The whole point of the judge's decision is to pick who THEY think is the best. And that shouldn't just be the cutest. I thought he was the weakest on her team.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
She got screwed. Bryan is underwhelming, very flat at times and his falsetto doesn't sound very good. I thought his rendition of "Pillow Talk" was just average. But Christina seems to have a bit of a crush on him which is why I think he got picked. I loved how she justified her decision based off of what America wanted, LOL. If that's the case why wasn't he America's first OR second choice on her team out of six people? The whole point of the judge's decision is to pick who THEY think is the best. And that shouldn't just be the cutest. I thought he was the weakest on her team.
I think what she was saying was she was taking the iTunes sales into consideration. I believe in total Bryan was outselling Ryan, Kata, and Tamar in iTunes sales, which is why she was saying that she picked who America was responding to the best. Not that I didn't think she would pick Bryan, but I also believe he deserved to go through as I do believe that he might have the best shot on her team at having mainstream success. I honestly thought Nick, the comeback artist, was the weakest on her team and that Bryan was amongst her strongest as he gives interesting performances and has chosen good songs for himself thus far. I also say this as someone who isn't super into R&B and someone who thinks Alisan is good, but not current. I also think Nick was voted through not based on his performance, but because he is handsome and has a special needs kid (who is adorable).

I really think Christina's best team might have been Alisan/Bryan/Kata. I think Ryan was good, but was never as good as his blind audition. I think Kata has steadily improved from week-to-week, which was nice to follow. In fact, I actually think her team got worse.

I still wonder if the "twist" of coaches could select from any team is due to the fact that the producers wanted Daniel and Nick to return, but Daniel had gotten into a twitter fight with Christina/her fans by favoriting a tweet where someone told Daniel that Christina was just a screamer and Alisan was just a screamer. They were the only two to select someone from a different team and each chose each other's team, when there were plenty of other artists that deserved to come back that were on someone else's team. It is funny.

I think I am rooting for Owen Danoff. Not sure how far he will go, but I bought an indie album he put out thanks to Kickstarter called 12 Stories and thought it was great! The lyrics were clever and it was a good mix of folk-pop.

Old 04-18-2016, 05:03 PM

I can't wait to hear Owen sing 7 years!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV