Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 09:11 AM

109 posts, read 278,809 times

Advertisements

1 in 100 new sitcoms have a chance of a long run and this one has even less, its sad to think this is being offered up as entertainment when some where there is paint drying with nobody as a witness to the overall beauty and simplicity of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 03:42 PM

17,593 posts, read 15,266,523 times
I'm very close to giving up on this after watching the second episode.

They just want to beat you over the head with the "He's gay, we're showing it on TV!" thing.

Less is more. It's a funny enough concept that the older son is anorexic, the youngest daughter is a thief, and the middle son is gay all in a devout catholic family..

Old 03-07-2016, 04:51 PM

655 posts, read 1,129,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
What was so "inappropriate"? I mean, you knew going in it was about a gay kid, didn't you?

I could have done without the giant box of condoms and the two teens trying to have sex in his bedroom while watching with my 11 YO. She knows about most things, including how babies are made, but does not really get the concept of doing it for anything other then for the purpose of procreating. So I had to explain why two high schoolers who weren't married wanted to have sex (particularly why the girl was so aggressive) and what the condoms were for and on and on. Totally inappropriate for a family show and not a conversation I was prepared to have at that moment. Had nothing to do with anyone being gay.....there are plenty of gay characters on TV that my kids are familiar with.

Also don't really like the idea of the brother and anorexia only because it is shown in a humorous light. I've got two girls that are exposed to enough crap about eating disorders and body image....they don't need to see someone starving themselves in order to participate in a sport.

I don't have a problem with the show in concept....just needs to be a later time slot and not promoted as a family comedy. Won't watch it with my kids again that's for sure. Kind of a bummer because I love Martha Plimpton and my kids know her from Goonies which is why they wanted to see the show initially.

Old 03-07-2016, 10:34 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,032,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
I wanted to like it. It rubbed me the wrong way. Like they tried too hard to fit a stereotype.
Exactly.

Too much dysfunction blended into a single setting.

It wasn't funny, it wasn't interesting, it wasn't entertaining. They're trying to emulate Modern Family and one of those is enough.

Old 03-08-2016, 02:14 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
Exactly.

Too much dysfunction blended into a single setting.

It wasn't funny, it wasn't interesting, it wasn't entertaining. They're trying to emulate Modern Family and one of those is enough.
I adore Modern Family. If they were trying to emulate that show it was an epic fail. Wasn't funny, wasn't interesting, wasn't entertaining. Spot on. Forced and won't last a season are how I'd describe it.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:47 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,696,073 times
I thought episode 3 last night was HILARIOUS!!

So many funny one-liners, omg I died laughing. I'm loving this show. I grew up in a very Catholic family, so I can relate to a lot of this stuff. My family was similar in a lot of ways. My family was irish Catholic with three kids..(one who turned out gay...my other brother was a wrestler), etc... and my poor Mom always trying her best to make us "perfect" lol

I ate it up. Loved the dance routine from last night. omg. I die

Old 03-09-2016, 08:13 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
I'm wondering if this show is only going to appeal to those of us who grew up in very devout Catholic households.

Old 03-09-2016, 08:19 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,696,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I'm wondering if this show is only going to appeal to those of us who grew up in very devout Catholic households.
well considering I didnt grow up in an Asian immigrant household, I can still enjoy "Fresh off the Boat"... or I didnt grow up in a Jewish household, I still like "the Goldbergs"

Old 03-09-2016, 11:01 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
well considering I didnt grow up in an Asian immigrant household, I can still enjoy "Fresh off the Boat"... or I didnt grow up in a Jewish household, I still like "the Goldbergs"
Well, I'm speaking specifically about this show. Perhaps FotB and TG are written with a broader appeal. This one feels a bit more like a bunch of "inside jokes."

Old 03-09-2016, 12:36 PM

50,826 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I thought episode 3 last night was HILARIOUS!!

So many funny one-liners, omg I died laughing. I'm loving this show. I grew up in a very Catholic family, so I can relate to a lot of this stuff. My family was similar in a lot of ways. My family was irish Catholic with three kids..(one who turned out gay...my other brother was a wrestler), etc... and my poor Mom always trying her best to make us "perfect" lol

I ate it up. Loved the dance routine from last night. omg. I die
I laughed out loud last night watching this...which I rarely do, even when I'm enjoying a comedy tv show or move. And to a later poster, I'm not from a strict Catholic family, so I don't think that will have much bearing. It could just as easily be an evangelical family for most of the situations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV