Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 08:04 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times

Advertisements

Now I have to decide what two items to bring to be appraised.

Has anyone else here ever been a part of the Antiques Roadshow experience? Any words of wisdom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 08:22 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,757,428 times
Oh so exciting! Congrats!

Old 06-02-2016, 09:52 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,611,912 times
Yay for you, how fun it will be!

I haven't been, but two of my friends went when it came to Tulsa. They said it was fun but WEAR COMFORTABLE SHOES! They had fun meeting other people, and talking with the experts, but said it was a lot of standing in lines holding things. Make sure you pack your items in plenty of bubble wrap or similar to prevent inadvertent breakage, and if you have a wheelie cart that would safely hold your item, take that.

If you are taking a large item of furniture I think you have to contact them in advance so that transportation/installation can be arranged.

Here's something I've always wondered: why are so few items of historic clothing shown on the televised Roadshow? We see 97 jillion tons of ceramics (drink when someone says Rookwood or Newcomb) and Civil War shtuff, and we always see anything Tiffany, but we hardly ever see any beaded dresses from the 20s or paisley shawls from the 1840s or even very many quilts. So - for me - ask them that question!

Tell us what you decide to take!

Old 06-02-2016, 11:02 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,987,290 times
Do we get to see you on tv???

Old 06-03-2016, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
Do we get to see you on tv???
I doubt it but you never know!

Old 06-03-2016, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Yay for you, how fun it will be!

I haven't been, but two of my friends went when it came to Tulsa. They said it was fun but WEAR COMFORTABLE SHOES! They had fun meeting other people, and talking with the experts, but said it was a lot of standing in lines holding things. Make sure you pack your items in plenty of bubble wrap or similar to prevent inadvertent breakage, and if you have a wheelie cart that would safely hold your item, take that.

If you are taking a large item of furniture I think you have to contact them in advance so that transportation/installation can be arranged.
Yep, I've been on the website perusing and considering that 6000 people will be there, for 70 appraisers, I can foresee lots of standing in line. The cart thing is a great idea. I have one of those. Thanks for suggesting it! And I'll definitely wear comfortable shoes.

Whoever thought that doing this in Fort Worth, Texas in July was a good idea needs to be chastised.

Quote:
Here's something I've always wondered: why are so few items of historic clothing shown on the televised Roadshow? We see 97 jillion tons of ceramics (drink when someone says Rookwood or Newcomb) and Civil War shtuff, and we always see anything Tiffany, but we hardly ever see any beaded dresses from the 20s or paisley shawls from the 1840s or even very many quilts. So - for me - ask them that question!
I guess clothing is just really perishable. On the website, they make it clear that it's VERY much more preferable to bring only items that are in pristine condition. For instance, they specifically state that worn quilts are not desirable.

I have a few "antique" clothes items - vintage is more like it (most are from the 30s and 40s) and even though I consider them to be in good condition, they all have some age spots or blemishes. So that's probably why they're not being shown on the show.

Quote:
Tell us what you decide to take!
This may change, but so far I am leaning toward a tiny vial of "St Barbara's Punch" that my dad gave me. It is in a very old bottle. Supposedly it has remnants of the "artillery" punch dating back from the 1780s or so. Here's a description of St Barbara's punch and the artillery units' traditions:
St. Barbara Feast Day Ritual

See that it calls for a bit of punch from the previous year - well, supposedly this bottle has been handed down since the late 1700s. My dad is looking for documentation on it. If he can find it, I'll bring this because I think it's pretty cool and unique. If he can't find it, I will probably not bring it.

I also have an original poster from just after WW2 which is in English and German and outlines the rules for civilians under Allied control. It's very interesting - lots of activities were punishable by death. I have searched all over the internet and can't even find any original posters other than in the Library of Congress.

I also have a jug from Romania that is supposedly from the 1700s. I have the appraisal on it, but that's the only documentation I have. It's my backup item if I don't take one of the others.

Old 06-04-2016, 08:33 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,611,912 times
Cool, I've never heard of St. Barbara's punch. The fact that it's unusual might make it a good candidate for tv! The Romanian jug might be good since they love them some ceramics, but I bet the poster is pretty rare. Decisions, Decisions.

Have fun!

Old 06-05-2016, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Cool, I've never heard of St. Barbara's punch. The fact that it's unusual might make it a good candidate for tv! The Romanian jug might be good since they love them some ceramics, but I bet the poster is pretty rare. Decisions, Decisions.

Have fun!
I know - I am really torn.

If I can find my appraisal for the Romanian jug, I will probably bring that. If my dad can find any documentation on the St. Barbara's punch, I will definitely bring that, because it's so unusual and it's in a really old bottle.

The poster is my third choice if one of those doesn't work out.

I also have a pretty cool woodworking sign from the early 1900s, before WW2, from Germany. It's in the old German script and difficult to read due to that unique style, but what it says on it is super poignant, considering what went down in Europe a few years later. It says, "He who grabs the golden ring and thinks only golden days lie ahead...O, he does not know the darkness that lives in the hearts of men."

That's pretty cool.

Old 06-05-2016, 10:49 AM

10,101 posts, read 6,441,828 times
Lucky you! I went to the Baltimore one in 2007; they were remarkably efficient in funneling people through the various stations. Don't forget to go through the Feedback Booth at the end, unless your feet are entirely kaput by then. It's your best bet to get onscreen if they don't select your antique for filming.

On a side note, I did NOT get selected to attend the Virginia Beach Antiques Roadshow, however, the local PBS affiliate station received 100 extra tickets, so for a "donation", I got two. So, I'm going on Saturday, June 25th. My main problem is picking my 2 items, as I have so MUCH antique stuff. Also, I have to find someone to take with me, but most of my friends could care diddly-squat about AR. I may post a call-out on Craigslist if someone will take one item and show an additional item of mine (hey, "I" paid for the ticket).

Anyway, have fun! And make sure to see the Keno brothers close-up if you can - its worth it!

Old 06-05-2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Lucky you! I went to the Baltimore one in 2007; they were remarkably efficient in funneling people through the various stations. Don't forget to go through the Feedback Booth at the end, unless your feet are entirely kaput by then. It's your best bet to get onscreen if they don't select your antique for filming.

On a side note, I did NOT get selected to attend the Virginia Beach Antiques Roadshow, however, the local PBS affiliate station received 100 extra tickets, so for a "donation", I got two. So, I'm going on Saturday, June 25th. My main problem is picking my 2 items, as I have so MUCH antique stuff. Also, I have to find someone to take with me, but most of my friends could care diddly-squat about AR. I may post a call-out on Craigslist if someone will take one item and show an additional item of mine (hey, "I" paid for the ticket).

Anyway, have fun! And make sure to see the Keno brothers close-up if you can - its worth it!
Woohooo, thanks for the tips!

Good luck. I have a lot of stuff but I want to bring something really unique. Suddenly all my stuff just looks old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV