Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2008, 11:39 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,520,903 times

Advertisements

I think this show is adorable and I use it to show my husband how nice of a wife I am, and aren't you glad we didn't have multiples!

The children are adorable and it is amazing how much they all have grown up! I do agree with some other people who said that it is a great form of birth control!!!!! I'm glad that they have the 8 children though because I don't think I would do nearly as good of a job as they do!!!!

Old 05-30-2008, 05:36 AM

23,870 posts, read 33,581,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
Today on TLC I watched a marathon of 4 episodes of this show on raising two sets of "multiples". In every show.... they traveled. Going to DisneyLand, the Oprah Show, a ski trip in Utah.

When the H-E-double hockey sticks- do these people ever stay home? The husband is a computer tech guy (or something like that) and the wife is a stay at home mom, how on Earth can these people live the way they do? Oh, I forgot, they had twins then sextuplets and certian things are exploited via TV.

I have a set of "multiples" (el natur-al) and one two years older, our first family vacation was 4 years ago.... the next probably won't be for the next 4 years. I don't foresee being on Oprah anytime soon but the one thing on parenting that I have learned is "stability". Yeah, this show is all about a crying 3 year old who doesn't want to be awaken at 3 am as per their destination reached in according to "episode DRAMA made for TV" ....

In real life, (and above the "wife" having to explain keeping an appointment with her hair-dresser 20 hours prior to a trip to DisneyLand ), this show sucks. Being a parent of 3, I have yet to see these parents planning a family movie night within the comforts of thier own home, I've yet to see the children enjoying their own back yard. Do these parents agrue/discuss the finances on a single income household with 8 children (without the deals/perks of being a TV reality show) ?

If Oprah ever has a show planned on raising "multiples" without the FLUFFY bull to play-up "reality TV" then let me know.

OMG, if I had a quarter for every grass stain or every time one of mine happened to have gotten icecream down the front of their shirt while at Disney Land....

end rant..... the show is not "real" as per reality.
As was mentioned, the pampering wasn't something Kate could afford way back when. Her sister used to treat her for mothers day.

I guess the trips are paid for by TLC. The Rolloffs do the same thing. There was a time when both families couldn't afford vacations and I'd imagine that once the show was on for a while they added them to keep interest. Think about how many people wonder how Matt goes away using his scooter or Jon & Kate manage to fly with 8 kids and keep track of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azkadellia View Post
There are PLENTY of families with multiples, and they don't get these perks. Why? Because they live in the REAL world. Not the "I must have everything my way, so here are my kids, I'm going to exploit the hell out of them to get what I want."
Jon & Kate were one of the families featured in an hour special years ago. Viewers loved them so much that a show was made. Sure there are other multiples and I've seen specials on others but something about Jon & Kate's family stood out from the others, just like the Rolloffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimberly View Post
I watch the show and I too at times feel complexed to how they get to travel so much. I believe they do get perks for some of the things they do.Our family can't do any of the travel they have done. They do play in their yard a lot and Kate she does get on your nerves. I like Jon though. I think that every family has a lauguage and when you watch the show they do as well. I'm sure that people who watch myself and my husband may have their thoughts too. Kate does drive me nuts with her complusive issues, as well as the organic issue and that dirt doesn't seem to hit the floor too long, not that this is a bad thing but she is just a little over the top. I don't know what it would be like with that many children the same age 24 hours a day. THe kids do seem to whine a lot even the two older ones. I do think after watching the show Kate does seem to favor Hannah. I think it is great that know matter how stressful it may be they want their kids to have experiences just like other kids in a family. It must be nice to do all they do with only one parent working. I had 45 Foster kids in 6 years and TLC care to do a show.
Hannah likes to hang out with Kate. She's said that on a few shows. Hannah is the only one that likes to help her with daily chores. When you spend that much time with a kid, you end up having a huge bond. I used to hang with my dad and it made us closer, same with my son, he also loved hanging with my dad. He was the only grandchild that had that bond with my dad.

I don't remember the organic issues from when it 1st started. I think that once they started having a little extra money she started trying to buy as much organic as possible. Heck, she can probably afford to do that now but if the show stopped tomorrow they probably couldn't.

I can relate to her with cleaning up. When you have a kid that touches everything, you want to keep everything as clean as possible. I don't doubt that the cleaning is her way to get away from 8 kids that are whining.

Quote:
Not in the 17 years of parenting have I gotten "pampered" the way the mother did in a 1-hour episode, that being 20 hours prior to leaving for DisneyLand.
I doubt I'd want to.

Quote:
Most moms know what it's like to be completely frazzled at the end of a busy day. This show, they are always "on the go"... gotta do this, gotta do that, go here, go there, let's go, let's go.... rush, rush, rush. And then bedtime comes.
What I noticed is that lately it seems like they are trying to do things with the kids (cooking classes, taking one child for a special outing) and I wonder if it has to do with letters or emails Kate has gotten. One on episode they said that they do not read the bad emails but if one started good then mentioned how all they do is sit home, they would read it. I know they watch the show. They have it taped or something, the kids watch it. I'd imagine that they might feel that they were boring or always doing the same thing.

IMO, no matter what they do, someone will find fault with it. You can't make everyone happy. We all parent different due to how our family functions.

Old 06-12-2008, 05:46 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,811,694 times
This show has been in marathon mode lately. The family was on NBC Today show this morning. The kids are getting big.

Old 06-12-2008, 06:23 PM

430 posts, read 1,175,114 times
I know the show has been on a lot latley and most likley will on Sunday to for Fathers Day. I can't watch the marathons as I like the show but after awhile Kate does get on your nerves. I just wonder how long they will be able to keep going. Not that the kids are almost 4 they will be going to school. I also think that they do more now becfause taping them just sitting at home is boring. When they were youger it was more fun to watch them. I wonder if they will go till there 5. I would really hope they wouldn't follow them to school. It really would be interested to follow them after they get into school. Being that thre is 6 of them , I'm sure they will all learn different and some will do well and some struggle. That will be interesting to see how they handle that and how they make friends or if they do outside of the 6. I'm not sure if it was me I would put them all in the same class. I would do a three/ three

Old 06-13-2008, 10:59 PM

539 posts, read 1,805,160 times
I like the kid with the glasses (Jaden ?) . The show is funny and cute. (My female cousins "make" me watch it.)

Old 06-14-2008, 10:51 AM

430 posts, read 1,175,114 times
You mean Aiden although I think they spell it different

Old 06-20-2008, 01:44 PM

1 posts, read 4,059 times
Smile Jon and Kate

They live in Elizabethtown, PA. Don't bother trying to get their address, I think it's unlisted.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:05 AM

82 posts, read 377,775 times
Default Jon & Kate Plus 8

I just started watching this show last night and I'm in love with it. What do these people do for living? I mean, where they get the $$$$$$$$$ from?

Old 06-24-2008, 01:30 PM

65 posts, read 211,347 times
Jon works and he says what he does. He worked for some company but now whoever he works for and I think it is someone they know he works from home. Kate used to be a nurse and did work a weekend or two when the show started but doesn't anymore I'm sure they get perks from doing the show. Even though I think Jon make good money they have a big family and all that goes with that. I wonder myself how they do what they do and have what they have. Although sme people have things that they will pay on for the rest of their lives and still never own. I think if they didn't do the show they wouldn't be able to travel that much and I think they know that. If your new to the show I just heard on Sunday they are having yet another marothan.

Old 06-25-2008, 01:08 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,511,859 times
I think they are getting paid. It would suck if all they are getting is vacations.

The Duggars the family with the like 100+ children got a house to with like two kitchens, two laundry rooms, etc. To do a show with TLC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.