Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 09:25 AM

6,870 posts, read 14,859,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
Bravo and Amen!!!!!

and today we could have been watching the diving LIVE but oh no............they put on dumb rhythmic gymnastics and wouldn't show real gymnastics to save their lives until midnight every damn time
Also too much Ryan Lochte coverage. I would have rather seen more diving and less of Ryan Lochte interview with Matt Lauer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 09:37 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,966,899 times
I am surprised by how much dumping on Rio and Brazil our press has done:
1) Zika mosquito virus. The hype started a long time ago.
2) Rampant muggings and street crime. There is some but it was really overblown.
3) Raw sewage in the swimming water! It was.....Raw!
4) Green water in the diving and swimming pools....instead of "blue"!
5) Then Lochte just had to fabricate his story. Wondering if he was looking for insurance money or attention? Or if he is simply a piece of crap? Then the press blew it up as a story of greater importance than the accomplishments of the athletes.
6) An obscure US swimmer paid $11,000 to "escape" from Rio.....for example.

I had to stream the coverage so was generally a day late. The people who wrote the news captions were quite challenged in their ability to write a decent sentence.

Old 08-21-2016, 11:41 AM

2,837 posts, read 2,696,311 times
Lets face it in this modern world of nose rings, metal face studs and tattoos the Olympics do not have the clout they used to.

Old 08-21-2016, 11:50 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,419,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Also too much Ryan Lochte coverage. I would have rather seen more diving and less of Ryan Lochte interview with Matt Lauer.
And they were promoting it like crazy, saying it would be starting in "42 minutes". Too bad they couldn't have been as forthcoming about telling us when athletic events would be aired. We changed channels as soon as the interview started.

Old 08-21-2016, 12:01 PM

33,245 posts, read 26,455,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
And they were promoting it like crazy, saying it would be starting in "42 minutes". Too bad they couldn't have been as forthcoming about telling us when athletic events would be aired. We changed channels as soon as the interview started.
They did tell us when the athletic events would be aired. If you had looked at the TV Guide online, it stated which events would be covered during a particular two hour time slot. The TV Guide was pretty accurate.

Old 08-21-2016, 02:16 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,275,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sterling View Post
Everytime the olympics roll around I'm always happy that I'm in Canada where they always do the games justice by broadcasting pretty much all the major events on TV live and the less major events can all be seen live or on replay online. Every single day they start at like 7am in the morning and go all day until past midnight covering as many events as they can whether they involve Canadians or not.

And then I tune into NBC sometimes just to see what's going on and while their production is very good, their coverage is UTTER GARBAGE just like it was in the last olympics and the olympics before that etc. I don't know, maybe it doesn't make financial sense for them to spend 12+ hours a day covering the olympics live, but then I wonder why do they want the olympics in the first place if they're going to continue to butcher the coverage of the games over and over again. Why not just let someone else do it who actually CARES about the olympics and giving it the coverage that it deserves?

Olympics after olympics it feels like NBC sees the games as just another TV show that isn't any different than any other TV show that they have on their network and hence doesn't deserve any special treatment. In Canada, the olympics is ALWAYS a big deal, a special event that needs to be covered as best they possibly can so that Canadians can see their athletes compete and succeed and win medals and also to allow people to experience the olympics as fully as possible by covering all the major events that happen over the course of the games. Sucks that NBC doesn't treat the olympics the same way.
Great post Max!

I agree, CBC did a great job, as usual.

I watched some NBC coverage but gave up.....too many commercials!

Old 08-21-2016, 07:33 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,995,615 times
Now I'm watching the closing ceremonies..... Wait, nevermind, it's a commercial.

Old 08-21-2016, 08:24 PM

17,624 posts, read 17,682,949 times
Japan's performance put much of Brazil's performance to shame. Looking forward to 2020 Tokyo.

Old 08-21-2016, 08:44 PM

8,634 posts, read 10,152,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Now I'm watching the closing ceremonies..... Wait, nevermind, it's a commercial.
LOL...no doubt! I'm watching commercials as I type.

Old 08-21-2016, 08:48 PM

8,634 posts, read 10,152,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
LOL...no doubt! I'm watching commercials as I type.
Well, didn't last that long until another commercial
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV