Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 02:14 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,278,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Only when I laugh. Butterflies. I watched them years ago and have never seen them again.
Butterfies was good ....I think Geoffrey Palmer was in it, way before starring as
Lionel Hardcastle in "As Time Goes By"....good actor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 02:30 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,064,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
I dont get why people like British shows. I am sure they are very good but it seems like every British show is 6 eps per season. You barely get into it and it is gone
It is a shame that British comedies only usually last for about six episodes, yes. You often feel like they should have done some more episodes.

Mind you, a lot of British comedies are repeated over and over on our channels. Sometimes they show a previous series before showing the new episodes.

Old 08-21-2016, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
The BBC have just done a remake of 'Are You Being Served?' and some other classic British comedies:

The Are You Being Served? remake starts next month - meet the new cast - Mirror Online

Don't know if they'll be as good as the original ones though.
The BBC have also done remakes of Till Death Us Do Part, Steptoe & Son and Hancock's Half Hour:

Till Death Us Do Part, Steptoe & Son and Hancock's Half Hour are recreated for BBC specials | Daily Mail Online

Old 08-21-2016, 03:28 PM

22,859 posts, read 6,441,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I have always puzzled over Benny's popularity in America. He was such an old fashioned English comic. I believe the singer Dean Martin thought Benny was the funniest man ever.

Benny was another of those tragic men, who was rather odd in real life, and lived through his comedy. When his show was dropped, and he was accused of being old fashioned, and a comedy dinosaur, he went into decline, and died.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...raphy.features

He had a hit record though!!..............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e1xvyTdBZI

I remember seeing a show about him...lived alone, sparsely furnished place, kept to himself...not at all like the life I had envisioned him living.

Old 08-21-2016, 04:18 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,083,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post

Thanks!!!

Old 08-21-2016, 04:20 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,229,400 times
Definitely "Monty Python and the Flying Circus"

and "One Foot in the Grave" (1990-2000)
BBC - Comedy - One Foot in the Grave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46flaThCYhE

Old 08-22-2016, 12:30 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,433,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
Definitely "Monty Python and the Flying Circus"

and "One Foot in the Grave" (1990-2000)
'One Foot In The Grave' is really funny. Victor Meldrew is still to be seen on the telly complaining vigorously!! My wife says I remind her of Victor sometimes........

'Monty Python' at it's best is hilarious. What people forget is that much of it wasn't funny. In a half hour episode there may have been two funny bits. It was experimental comedy at the time, and very hit and miss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UI8CWptOEm8

Old 08-22-2016, 12:38 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,117,336 times
I spoke to my dad about this last night, and he went into "retrospective mode" and gave out a whole list of old TV programs. I still can't recall many of them now, but how about:-

Magpie
Tiswas
Captain Scarlet
UFO
Space 1999
Tomorrow's World
Krypton Factor
It's a Knockout
Inspector Morse
Great Egg Race
The Good Life
Rumpole of the (something or other)

There was a load more he wheeled off, before going into "retrospective verbatim mode!"

Have never heard most of the above, apart from perhaps Tiswas and Inspector Morse, oh and The Good Life (if only because of Felicity Kendall )

Old 08-22-2016, 01:22 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,433,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZolaLloyd View Post
I spoke to my dad about this last night, and he went into "retrospective mode" and gave out a whole list of old TV programs. I still can't recall many of them now, but how about:-

Magpie
Tiswas
Captain Scarlet
UFO
Space 1999
Tomorrow's World
Krypton Factor
It's a Knockout
Inspector Morse
Great Egg Race
The Good Life
Rumpole of the (something or other)

There was a load more he wheeled off, before going into "retrospective verbatim mode!"

Have never heard most of the above, apart from perhaps Tiswas and Inspector Morse, oh and The Good Life (if only because of Felicity Kendall )
Geez......... I remember all of them........ 'Magpie' was just a 'Blue Peter' ripoff. Same format, but kids loved both shows. 'Tiswas' was real funny Saturday morning telly. Much of it went right over the kid's heads, so dad's could watch it as well. 'Captain Scarlet', 'UFO', and Space 1999, were all from the same company that made 'Thunderbirds.' 'Tomorrow's World' and 'Great Egg Race' were for the more intelligent viewer....

'Tiswas' discovered some talent....... Spit the dog and his owner Bob were but just two. They even got invited on to talk shows.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKjPosgpxlw

Old 08-30-2016, 04:30 PM

Did anyone see the remakes of 'Are You Being Served?' and 'Porridge'? I thought they were ok, but some people were complaining about them not being as good as the originals. But what did people expect?! No-one can ever hold a candle (or four!) to Ronnie Barker.

On Friday, the BBC are showing an episode of 'Goodnight Sweetheart' and a prequel to 'Keeping Up Appearances'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV