Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 10:07 AM

5,265 posts, read 6,407,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The town's radio station is KBBL.
I'm pretty sure that's a joke for either kibble or k-babble and not representative of the town's location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2017, 11:33 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tantan1968 View Post
True and one thing about the Simpsons. The town's radio station is KBBL. Very few places east of the Mississippi River, actually the only three are in Pennsylvania ( Philly's KYW and Pittsburgh's KDKA and KQV ) have a radio station that begins with "K". In Portland and Springfield, OR it's "K".
Yes, as do a majority of call signals west of the Mississippi.

Old 06-08-2017, 11:38 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tantan1968 View Post
True and one thing about the Simpsons. The town's radio station is KBBL. Very few places east of the Mississippi River, actually the only three are in Pennsylvania ( Philly's KYW and Pittsburgh's KDKA and KQV ) have a radio station that begins with "K". In Portland and Springfield, OR it's "K".
Also, in one of the early episodes Homer skips church to watch football. On the East Coast football doesn't start until 1pm, long after church is over. On the west coast, that's 10am so the times line up. I am not a crackpot.

Old 06-08-2017, 02:52 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Also, in one of the early episodes Homer skips church to watch football. On the East Coast football doesn't start until 1pm, long after church is over. On the west coast, that's 10am so the times line up. I am not a crackpot.
There are both football games and church services at noon here in the Midwest.

Old 06-08-2017, 02:59 PM

5,265 posts, read 6,407,452 times
Quote:
long after church is over.
Maybe the Presbylutheran Church the Simpsons belong to changes their time to correspond with the early game. Seems like something that Rev. Lovejoy would do, if he had an onion on his belt which was the style at the time.

Old 06-08-2017, 07:31 PM

545 posts, read 411,795 times
It's got to be Springfield OR. There is no nuke-you-ler plant there but there is a massive paper mill that makes most of the town smell bad. That would make Eugene a stand-in for the dreaded, immoral community of Shelbyville. Where people are free to marry their relations ( That's Shelbyville, not Eugene. ).

Old 06-09-2017, 10:20 AM

853 posts, read 648,644 times
Just another one... everything is close to the Simpson's house: a graveyard, stamp museum, a jail, the nuclear plant in one of the episodes, even the moe's tavern! funny.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:06 AM

287 posts, read 237,286 times
I think part of the popularity dip has to do with how many shows push the envelope now. Simpsons was so groundbreaking in it's irreverence when first broadcast. Here was this totally not traditional family of father doesn't know best but it worked.

I know there was Ren and Stimpy as well as Beavis and Butthead but they were on cable so the audience wasn't as big, plus Simpson's family had redeemable qualities like heart.

But now with Southpark, Family Guy, and a multitude of others, it's not unique anymore nor is it the fresh young thing it once was.

Old 06-12-2017, 05:46 PM

862 posts, read 1,197,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Yes, as do a majority of call signals west of the Mississippi.
Yes but there are quite a few stations west of the Mississippi that do start with "W". Not talking about boarder cities like New Orleans, Memphis, St. Louis or the Twin Cities but WBAP and WFAA in Fort Worth/Dallas, WDAF in Kansas City or WIBW out of Topeka but those calls were issued in the golden age of radio. Some books I have read over the years say the WKOA and WKLZ calls were in Denver but I don't think Colorado has ever had a station that starts with "W". As far as I know it's always been just KOA and KLZ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV