Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 05:12 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,220,959 times

Advertisements

I watched about 5 episodes of this over the weekend.

Really makes you think about therapy and therapists.

Like is therapy even effective for most people? Can it be?
Meanwhile she seems to be about the worst therapist ever.
Its an interesting watch. Lately I've been feeling like a crazy person.
Why do so many people on tv make me feel more normal by comparison?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 05:57 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,220,795 times
You mean on Netflix, right? I've watched the first 3 episodes; I like it so far. I'd describe it as a psychological drama, about a therapist who's stalking the people in her patients' lives. She's definitely crazier than her patients.

Old 07-10-2017, 06:40 AM

Whoops is it Netflix? Dang. Why can't we change our titles?

Yes she is nuts. Goes back to her frustration with therapy in part. Like the lead therapist keeps telling her.
We can't do anything, we are just a sounding board. Ok. So....people are just paying to have someone listen
to them vent......their side of the story, their perceptions and probably their lies.
So yea, she wants to hear the other side, figure out the lies, so she can apply that to help her patients.
Which I get would be very helpful to know the other side of the story, meet the other people, sort through the lies
and misperceptions. But a disaster waiting to happen.
Really intrigued by the lawsuit sub story. Wonder if we will get the real story on that.

Old 07-10-2017, 02:30 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,362,412 times
Sounds like our next binge...We finished Bloodline last night

Old 07-12-2017, 04:58 AM

I read an article with the writer which was interesting and a critics review. Apparently it is getting criticism from critics for being slow. I didn't get that till last night watching a few more episodes. Not sure where I am 7? So it maybe bogs down a bit in the middle but I just tell myself its nice to try to reset myself to not needing some frantic blow em up every 2 second pace. It is a psychological drama and you can't really do that fast.

I quit Bloodline after S1, just got too hard watching so many painful decisions, so much drama every second with every character. Maybe I should watch the last half of S3 or something. The main character/actor is worth watching.

Old 07-12-2017, 05:35 PM

52,268 posts, read 52,700,922 times
We watched the series. IDK, OP you feel "normal" after watching stuff anymore because so much stuff is just pure garbage in TV and movies. I felt like I needed a bath after watching the show. I'm not a bible thumper here but man, it's getting to be a bit much anymore. It's not just that show, look around and the media and things that qualifies as entertainment is crap. LOL, yeah, I know, I can turn the channel, it's just why does so many things have to be sleezy anymore???

SPOILERS>>>>

Spoiler
I found some of the scenes with Watts and the other young woman, I forget her name, but some of the dialog and the posturing and crap that was supposed to be erotic just looked silly to me, some late 40's woman playing little silly kissy face with some woman half her age just made me do this a few times. In real life a grown woman that was normal couldn't handling 5 minutes alone with that character because of all of the stupid crap coming out of her mouth. Heck, it's why I couldn't be with a woman half my age.

Then the dialog between them was hard to watch at times. IDK. She's a sociopathic scumbag but we as viewers are supposed to just go along with it. They make her likeable enough to buy into it somewhat. But if she throughout the series was just judged on her actions, she makes a sociopath look like an ok person. LOL.

I hope her husband kicks her azz to the curb and takes the kid and she only gets limited controlled court ordered visitation.

I know this is supposed to be just mindless entertainment but sometimes one needs a good rant every now and then.

Old 07-13-2017, 09:15 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,220,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I read an article with the writer which was interesting and a critics review. Apparently it is getting criticism from critics for being slow. I didn't get that till last night watching a few more episodes. Not sure where I am 7? So it maybe bogs down a bit in the middle but I just tell myself its nice to try to reset myself to not needing some frantic blow em up every 2 second pace. It is a psychological drama and you can't really do that fast.

I quit Bloodline after S1, just got too hard watching so many painful decisions, so much drama every second with every character. Maybe I should watch the last half of S3 or something. The main character/actor is worth watching.
Psychological drama is often slow. I used to love the late Ruth Rendell's psychological crime novels, she was a master of the slow burn.

You might like Showtime's "The Affair" if you like Gypsy.

Season 2 of Bloodline was great, I thought, but season 3 just seems to be about tying up the loose ends.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:47 AM

1,236 posts, read 1,399,796 times
I'm on episode 7, and I agree whole heartedly that this show is quite slow. By episode 6, and definitely episode 7, I found myself actually fast forwarding through certain scenes. I have no interest in watching two women getting it on; coupled with the fact that one of those women is married. Also, I think Naomi Watts' character being indecisive and doing this cat and mouse thing with Sidney started to grind on me. Not to mention that Sidney is emotional unstable, damaged, and way young. But Jean has her own unresolved issues with her mom; they say that therapists are their own best patient, and she certainly fits the bill on that.

Jean's husband knows something is going on her, but what exactly, I don't think he's sure. Then you've got his assistant that is slowly, manipulatively, trying to get in bed with him. I don't even thinks she's like, in love with him or anything; her vibe comes across as if she has a much bigger agenda.

Then we had Jean's 8 year old daughter who wants to be a boy. OKAY.

And I agree with Chowhound, most of what's on TV and in media is garbage. Very little of it is morally encouraging. Not that I don't watch shows with violence, but this one leaves me feeling some kind of way I don't like. Gypsy probably won't be seeing me for season 2.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:53 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,076,437 times
I tried watching this a few days ago ... got maybe halfway through the first episode and was really bored. It was just too slow for me. (BTW, I felt the same way about "Bloodline" -- I felt like screaming at the TV, "Can something please HAPPEN?!!")

Is it worth hanging in there with "Gypsy" (and maybe even giving "Bloodline" another go, if I can stand to)? Both have had pretty mixed reviews.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:54 AM

1,236 posts, read 1,399,796 times
I'm on episode 7, and I agree whole heartedly that this show is quite slow. By episode 6, and definitely episode 7, I found myself actually fast forwarding threw certain scenes. I have no interest in watching two women getting it on; couple with the fact that one of those women are married. Also, I think Naomi Watts' character being indecisive and doing this cat and mouse thing with Sidney started to grind on me. Not mention that Sidney is emotional unstable, damaged, and way young. But Jean has her own unresolved issues with her mom; they say that therapists are there own best patient, and she certainly fits the bill on that.

Jean's husband knows something is going on her, but what exactly, I don't think he's sure. Then you've got his assistant that is slowly, manipulatively, trying to get in bed with. I don't even thinks she's like, in love with him or anything; her vibe comes across as if she has a much bigger agenda.

Then we had Jean's 8 year daughter who wants to be a boy. OKAY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV