Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 09:41 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times

Advertisements

Let me say first off that I'm not expecting them to be poor or middle class. But it does seem to me that many of our television starts get exorbitant salaries, which is one of the reasons there are so many commercials, and one of the reasons that series end sooner than we may want (decreasing profit margins for the networks).

Take, for example, the "Big Bang Theory". Before you go off on me, it's one of my favorite shows, and Raj is my favorite character; and Kunal Nayaar seems to be a swell guy. But he ears $750,000 per episode. Which means that on last evening's episode he earned $41,666 per sentence of dialog. Wow!

I'm not moaning and groaning and *itching. I'm just wondering what others think about these television actor salaries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 10:13 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
People get paid what they ask for and what their employer is willing to pay. No other judgment is needed.

Think about it. With regular people, should someone making $15/hr question why someone else is making $30/hr?

Old 10-03-2017, 10:27 AM

3,532 posts, read 3,023,028 times
No, the majority of the actors get 10-40k per episode. If it's a hit, they get a raise but the huge salaries are reserved for a few. Let's say they get bumped to 100k. That's 2.2-2.4 million per season, take away taxes and commissions paid out, you're looking at a million. The average successful series runs 7 years. So no, I don't think they're overpaid. In fact, afaik, they are getting screwed more nowadays bc many are getting hired as guest stars despite really being supporting actors but if they are guests they get paid less and don't get the residual that cast members get.

Old 10-03-2017, 10:59 AM

3,829 posts, read 6,733,589 times
If the actors were paid less, the profits would just go to the network executives. I'd rather the actors get it.

Old 10-03-2017, 12:04 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,610,760 times
No, the market decides their worth, the networks/producers will make millions on a hit show like "Big Bang" to use your example, hundreds of millions with reruns/licensing a show like that in future years, the actors should get a piece of that pie. Also most actors live lives of poverty or just getting by until/unless they get steady work & the work is typically short term - background in one episode, extra in one scene, a commercial, a live industrial show, an instructional video, etc.... all pretty low paying & a one time event.

If an actor is lucky to be in a hit show it is typically the only hit most will have in their career & they need to capitalize on it.

Old 10-03-2017, 01:05 PM

5,066 posts, read 2,861,393 times
Considering the profits made, no, they aren't paid too much. Is TV and those that make it happen over valued in society? Without a doubt. Same with ads, completely overvalued (oh hai google, FB, etc). While people that make a real difference in society and keep things running are grossly underpaid. Way it goes I guess.

Old 10-03-2017, 01:46 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
It doesn't matter to me what they get paid. Hollywood is a different world and all I care about is if I enjoy a show and it's characters.

Old 10-03-2017, 01:54 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,264,689 times
TV shows with big ratings make a lot of money. As stated above, if the actors don't get it, it will go elsewhere. I hope the writers get a big cut.

Old 10-03-2017, 03:34 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
None of my business how much other people get paid.

Old 10-03-2017, 03:49 PM

4,800 posts, read 2,802,137 times
Default Ready for my close-up, Mr. DeMille

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

I'm not moaning and groaning and *itching. I'm just wondering what others think about these television actor salaries.
Well, first of all, it's Show Biz. That means that big actors & big directors, get most of the money. The sponsoring studios (or investors, or both) get a cut, then the trades & crafts. Only a handful of actors make big money - it's just the nature of the beast, I'm sure that was true of opera & plays, going clear back to Grecian drama.

So who gets parts depends on their agent, their PR machine, their track record on past projects, how well they're liked by the paying public - & talent, although that's harder to discern these days.

Most actors apparently live hand to mouth, just scraping by & hoping to be discovered. If they don't get discovered, then I assume they drop out of acting & go into something that pays more steadily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV