Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 10:23 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,600,594 times

Advertisements

There are very few shows that go on forever that I keep watching. I gave up on How I Met Your Mother until they were finally going to actually show how he met the mother finally. I guess I was told they did and watched the last season on Netflix or something. Otherwise, I had gotten bored. Being 'faked out' got old.

So yeah, most shows just want to keep going and overall it is the most profitable thing to do, even though it compromises whatever integrity the show had.

BB, among other things, knew when to end it. It would have had to devolve if they did not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2018, 10:54 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,080,186 times
Yeah that's true. I didn't finish how I met your mother, but I heard the mother turns out to be a completely new woman. But if that's the case, then what was the point of the guy telling his kids stories of how met their mother, when the mother isn't even in the first two thirds of the stories, or whatever.

Are there any more good shows like BB, where it follows a structure that doesn't have the C subplots at all, and just sticks to one main interweaving plot throughout? That way I can decide if I like one story, and not have to decided if I like all these substories. But what other shows do it that way, like BB?

Old 04-06-2018, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post

Are there any more good shows like BB, where it follows a structure that doesn't have the C subplots at all, and just sticks to one main interweaving plot throughout? That way I can decide if I like one story, and not have to decided if I like all these substories. But what other shows do it that way, like BB?
BB had subplots too, I don't know what you mean. Lots of sub-plots. Some people probably didn't give a hoot about Jesse's family, for instance. It never wove into the main plot at all.

I thought Hank's wife was boring, but guy friends of mine thought she was hot and her story-lines were funny. None of those ever played into the main plot. At all.

Old 04-07-2018, 05:53 AM

5,110 posts, read 3,080,186 times
That's true, but in the last three seasons of BB, every subplot played into the main plot, or so I felt.

Old 04-07-2018, 06:11 PM

Quote:
That's true, but in the last three seasons of BB, every subplot played into the main plot, or so I felt.
For the most part, one had to pay attention to every moment because it was going to be important. But TV shows are not movies. Seems like you want them to be like movies with the one plot thing.

But I gave you one show that is like BB in this sense. All the sub plots play into the main plot. Big Little Lies.

Old 04-07-2018, 07:09 PM

8,080 posts, read 4,757,816 times
Sometimes the subplots or "filler" scenes have more to do with the overall direction of the show than we realize at the time. Writers wanting to write a more intricate story will write scenes into episodes that seem irrelevant when they play out, but will reveal themselves to be central to the resolution of the story later on, once the viewer has all the facts.

Old 04-12-2018, 01:35 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,897,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
Any show with a serialized format has to have three or four different plotlines going at once. This allows the show to flow better, and to avoid having a "full stop" type point where everything seems to be completed. As one story ends, another begins, and yet another could be starting in the background.

Typically the main "A" plot is the primary draw, the story that takes up most of the screentime. Another "B" plot is busy percolating in the background, waiting to become the "A" plot once the main plotline is resolved. Depending on the time to fill, there might also be two or three "C" plots that will never likely end up dominating the show's screentime, but are thrown in just to give supporting characters time to shine, and usually to supplement or provide contrast to the main plots. If a show is heavily featuring a crime/mystery plotline, a "C" plot of a sweet romance might help keep the show from feeling totally dark. If you find yourself with several actors on contract who are not being given much to do in the "A" plot, the writers might create a "C" plot for them because they are contractually obligated to appear in every episode. In some cases the supporting actors can become more popular than the leads, so giving them their own plotlines will allow viewers to see more of them than they would if they were simply there to service the plots of the lead actors (think Jack and Karen on Will and Grace).
I think also that sometimes writers are competing for air time and using plots by more than one person appeases multiple writers.

Old 04-12-2018, 02:14 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,219,809 times
Quote:
Basically I've been trying to get into more TV shows lately, but one thing I've noticed that I find kind of annoying is that a lot of shows will introduce a main plot, but then put that plot on hold in favor of all these other subplots, involving all the characters. I find this kind of annoying cause then I have to wait till who knows when to get back into the main plot again.

A huge part of real life is gobbled up in sub-plots too. Just read through C-D and you will have zero problem seeing lives swallowed up in all manner of sub-plots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV