Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2022, 12:46 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,983,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersmom View Post
Lol I just have a weird brain that's good with fictional character names but forgets the name of a real person as soon as they introduce themselves. lol

I've had my shows I watched religiously throughout my life & this one is just one of those that I don't really seem to care to remember their names. Yet, I know the 1st & last names of many others on other shows I liked a TON more, but that seemed to be more often in the past when I was younger, ha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2022, 08:38 PM

6,472 posts, read 6,678,064 times
Ugh, this show has gone too weird for me. I used to like it, but I'm removing it from my watch list.

So after being married to Eddie all those years, Katherine realizes that she is a lesbian who always had a thing for an old high-school friend? And despite the fact that Katherine is a well educated, polished attorney, she thinks this tattoo artist with flannel shirts and the ugliest hair on the face of the earth, is actually her type? (I cannot stand to look at that hair. Barf.) OK then.

And of course the show had to bring in a transgender person, because that's the hot new thing. It was not realistic at all that Madison would come out to Rome after one class session, just because he opened up about his struggle with depression. Like "Wow! I have this huge important secret I've never been able to tell a single soul, but my brand new teacher struggled with depression because there were only 2 black kids in his school? What a bond I feel with him! I'll share my deepest darkest secret with him, the very first day I met him!"

(Also, I certainly never had a teacher use class time to talk about their own mental health issues. That seems to be crossing a boundary that shouldn't be crossed between teacher and student, but maybe that's just me.)

The last straw was the whole plot about Gary's jar of semen for the fertility doctor. Yeah, let's get Sophie involved in that, because, hey, why would a 30-something man need to set boundaries with a teenage girl regarding his sperm and his desire to reproduce?

Series writers, I hope you're reading this. Now get back to work and do better. This week's episode positively sucked.

Old 05-02-2022, 06:56 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
The Katherine situation is quite believable to me. She's the product of a Tiger Mom. She's finally figuring out who she is without her mother forcing her to be something she's not. She's not a well educated, polished attorney because she became that of her own accord. That is the result of her mother pushing her in a particular direction. I'm enjoying watching her storyline, but perhaps that's because I can relate as an API. (And personally, I love Greta's hair!)

The story with the semen sample was pretty ridiculous. I was predicting that because he didn't actually look in the bag after pulling it from the trash that the clinic would call and say that they weren't able to test the half-eaten peanut butter and jelly sandwich that he dropped off. LOL!

Old 05-02-2022, 08:31 AM

6,472 posts, read 6,678,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
The Katherine situation is quite believable to me. She's the product of a Tiger Mom. She's finally figuring out who she is without her mother forcing her to be something she's not. She's not a well educated, polished attorney because she became that of her own accord. That is the result of her mother pushing her in a particular direction. I'm enjoying watching her storyline, but perhaps that's because I can relate as an API. (And personally, I love Greta's hair!)

The story with the semen sample was pretty ridiculous. I was predicting that because he didn't actually look in the bag after pulling it from the trash that the clinic would call and say that they weren't able to test the half-eaten peanut butter and jelly sandwich that he dropped off. LOL!
I can appreciate your different perspective about Katherine. But I'm struggling with the fact that anyone could like Greta's hair. (just kidding).
Regarding the bolded, maybe I've forgotten a plot line. To me, Katherine seems to love being a successful attorney. Can you elaborate on your thoughts?

I love your PBJ speculation! Hilarious!

Old 05-02-2022, 09:29 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I can appreciate your different perspective about Katherine. But I'm struggling with the fact that anyone could like Greta's hair. (just kidding).
Regarding the bolded, maybe I've forgotten a plot line. To me, Katherine seems to love being a successful attorney. Can you elaborate on your thoughts?

I love your PBJ speculation! Hilarious!
She may have a natural proclivity toward that sort of work, but who knows if that's what she would have chosen for herself if given the opportunity to pursue her own dreams rather than her mother's? Does she love being a lawyer because that's what she's wanted to do, or did she make the best of a situation that she didn't have much say in? Would she be so polished and buttoned-up if she were allowed to pursue her own self-expression, or would she look and live more like Greta? No way to know for sure, but she does seem to be exploring who she really wants to be.

Old 05-08-2022, 08:35 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,983,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
She may have a natural proclivity toward that sort of work, but who knows if that's what she would have chosen for herself if given the opportunity to pursue her own dreams rather than her mother's? Does she love being a lawyer because that's what she's wanted to do, or did she make the best of a situation that she didn't have much say in? Would she be so polished and buttoned-up if she were allowed to pursue her own self-expression, or would she look and live more like Greta? No way to know for sure, but she does seem to be exploring who she really wants to be.

Right. Asian, including Indian (who are a type of Asian) parents/families tend to be strict & really push that their kids to be something THEY want them to be & not really what the kids want.

So in the case of Katherine, it showed her shaving 1 side of her head & getting that small wrist tattoo as a couple of ways to bust out from her strict, overbearing upbringing. & did you guys see how mad her mother was when Katherine finally told her mother that Greta was more thna just her friend?

I think Katherine would have chosen a more creative line of work had it been HER own choice.

I like the part abotu Rome being a teacher because that whole documentary-making thing wasn't going anywhere much, so his character needed to do more. His wife w/ her food truck business is good.

I don't care for Eddie's GF, the ex-wife of that pedophile teacher who molested/assaulted Sophie.

The whole thing w/ Dr. Bloom & Gary trying to have a baby so fast is...I don't like it. They should go ahead & get married first.

The main thing I'm glad about is that the Delilah character's been gone & hopefully never returns!

Old 05-14-2022, 12:47 PM

11,636 posts, read 12,706,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Right. Asian, including Indian (who are a type of Asian) parents/families tend to be strict & really push that their kids to be something THEY want them to be & not really what the kids want.

So in the case of Katherine, it showed her shaving 1 side of her head & getting that small wrist tattoo as a couple of ways to bust out from her strict, overbearing upbringing. & did you guys see how mad her mother was when Katherine finally told her mother that Greta was more thna just her friend?

I think Katherine would have chosen a more creative line of work had it been HER own choice.

I like the part abotu Rome being a teacher because that whole documentary-making thing wasn't going anywhere much, so his character needed to do more. His wife w/ her food truck business is good.

I don't care for Eddie's GF, the ex-wife of that pedophile teacher who molested/assaulted Sophie.

The whole thing w/ Dr. Bloom & Gary trying to have a baby so fast is...I don't like it. They should go ahead & get married first.

The main thing I'm glad about is that the Delilah character's been gone & hopefully never returns!
Ugh, that whole story line with the trans kid asking Rome to talk to his parents about his choices. Why didn't Rome just say no. He was overstepping his place. And that classroom? A small green chalk board in a rich private school? The prop master should have used a more modern white board and smart board even if they didn't function. I haven't seen a green chalk board in a school in many years. Are they on an austerity budget in terms of props?

This show is a mess, yet I keep watching it even if I tell myself this is the last time.

Old 05-14-2022, 01:43 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,229,269 times
This show has gone off the rails in too many different directions at once.
I cannot believe it got renewed for yet another season.

Old 05-14-2022, 09:10 PM

11,636 posts, read 12,706,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCviaMD View Post
This show has gone off the rails in too many different directions at once.
I cannot believe it got renewed for yet another season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV