Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2012, 09:21 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,615,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
I kept an open mind while watching last night's show; it would have been too easy to get disappointed if I had expectations of the original Dallas. For all it's worth, the new series was done quite well, however, as mentioned by OhBeeHave, the extended sex scenes and the cussing are not necessary (unless many of today's viewing audience expects that and the sponsors want to increase viewership).

It was great seeing J.R., Bobby and Sue Ellen again; and Lucy and Ray at the wedding although they were only in the scene briefly. Good old J.R. coming alive emotionally was the kick the show needed.

I like Ann, Bobby's wife; and will enjoy seeing Elena and Rebecca...um, wonder what Rebecca and Tommy are up to...as soon as I heard his name I knew it may mean trouble since it brought back memories of Carter McKay's troublesome son Tommy. Will be interesting to find out who sent the email to Elena.

And I agree with OhBeeHave about John Ross and Christopher looking too much alike, thank goodness for John Ross' moustache. Good old bickering between them like we had with J.R. and Bobby was fun; but darn, no one in the pool during the wedding? And the fact the interiors of Southfork are nothing like the original series, that was disappointing.

I'll keep watching and it will be interesting to see if the show is picked up after the summer for full season schedules. Next week's episode shown in TV Guide mentioned Cliff Barnes, I always liked good old Cliff.
Well, it is cable so they will likely keep up with the sex and cursing because they can, versus on network TV where they can't take it quite that far.

I found it humorous to see 3 connections to Desperate Housewives. Jesse Metcalfe (Christopher) of course, but he also starred in Chase and I thought did a better job there than on DH.
His 'cousin' Austin McCann (John Ross) played Edie's nephew, which was a scheming bad boy role as well.
Then of course there is Brenda Strong (Ann) who was the infamous narrator of DH aka Mary Alice.

Once we got to the end of the second epi, I figured it would be Rebecca or Tommy who sent that email in order to set their plot in motion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 09:27 AM

4,699 posts, read 3,279,018 times
Loved it back in the day and loved the new Dallas. I'll be watching again!!

Old 06-14-2012, 09:54 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,254,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyinca View Post
Well I am excited to see the new show and the old shows! CMT (Country Music TV) is going to be showing the original episodes this week as well. I am going to be watching both! From what I have seen Sue Ellen (Linda Gray) has not aged too much, can't say that for the boys!

This was our favorite show when we got married in 1981. It originally aired in the Spring of 1978 the year I graduated from High School. I can't wait to relive those good years with J.R. Of course when I was 17 I thought J.R. was SO old then! Now he is 80 years old! Now he really IS OLD!
You can watch the original show's entire run here:

Dallas | Watch Dallas online | TV Show | SideReel

I am working my way through the entire run, from the very first episode (boy! did Victoria Principal look young in that first episode and boy! Charlene Tilton was a lousy actress - although she did get better).

I am nearing the end of season three, where the very first "cliffhanger" happened (who can forget "Who shot J.R.?").

Anyway, if I can find it on-line, I will give the new series a chance and watch at least a few episodes before passing judgement.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post

Anyway, if I can find it on-line, I will give the new series a chance and watch at least a few episodes before passing judgement.
Hah! Found it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
Is it on demand or something? I forgot to watch it.
Dallas (2012) Season 1 Episode 1 Pilot (AKA Changing of the Guard | Watch Online Series

Watch dallas 2012 101 hdtv lol mp4

You might have to let it load.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:25 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,321,367 times
I missed it... for some reason I was sure it was on tomorrow
I can't even watch it on the TNT website, to watch stuff on their website you need to have your TV through a TV provider they are partners with... doesn't work for me...
I'll try your link, Cinebar. Thanks.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
I'll try your link, Cinebar. Thanks.
Both those links work for me, so they should work for you (as long as you aren't on dial-up - I don't know how they'd work then).

The "allmyvideos" link has a bigger screen than the other link.

For future episodes, I found the above links at Sidereel (again):

Dallas - 2012 Season 1 online | TV Show | SideReel

(I love Sidereel.)

Old 06-14-2012, 10:45 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,615,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larksong View Post
Loved it back in the day and loved the new Dallas. I'll be watching again!!
This^^^

It had some of the same flavor of the old series, but with enough new young beautiful people to make it interesting for the younger set - maybe. But I can almost tell the age of those here who are questioning "why bring it back?"... The people who remember the old series should appreciate the new one, the younger crowd will tend to criticize it after watching only one show.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:50 AM

Ok, I watched it and I thought it was very good - full of intrigue and suspense.

I do have one complaint, though, and that was how J.R. miraculously came out of his catatonic state - POOF. I thought that was a little dumb.

And I do kind of wish I wasn't in the process of watching the original series at this time. It creates a kind of conflict in my brain; I'm probably going to have a hard time watching how young Lucy was in season three compared to how she looks now. She is no longer the fresh-faced teenager with the gorgeous long blond hair, that's for sure. I think I expected everyone else to have "aged" (Bobby still looks good, though) but I was caught off guard with Lucy.

I wish there had been a little more of Ray. Does anyone know if he will be back?

And what about Cliff? I think I read somewhere that he would be returning, although I'm not sure if he will be a regular.

I loved that they kept the same theme song and the same type of opening, just with more modern and up-to-date scenes. It was great that they zoomed in at Southfork at the end of the opening - just like in the original.

All in all, I was satisfied and I will watch again.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:22 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,032,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
I enjoyed it as well....thought they did a good job of portraying the same type characters as the original yet definitely in a 'how it is today' and not a remake type.
I agree, I thought they did a very good job of blending in the old characters and storylines with the new characters and storylines. As some of you have mentioned, I was slightly disappointed with how much they changed the interior of the Ewing home on Southfork Ranch vs. what it looked like in the original series. I can see doing some updates but they could have at least kept the same floor plan!....lol. I'm a huge fan of the original series so I really wasn't expecting this new series to be as good as the original one but I was hoping it would be at least entertaining, and it was! There were plenty of twists and turns in the plot in a similar way to the original series so I really enjoyed it and plan to continue watching it.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:00 PM

1,575 posts, read 1,735,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
I agree. I'm also wondering why the "come-back" after all these years. For some reason I thought Larry Hagman died years ago but apparently that was just his career lol I'll watch the 1st episode and see how it goes. I say bring back "Falcon Crest", "Dynasty" and "Knots Landing" while we're at it

Wouldn't that be great! I really miss those shows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV