Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 08:47 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,038,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Oh we get it...at least the upper percentile of viewers anyway.

Right? As if the stilted dialogue wasn't a giveaway? LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 12:08 PM

11,642 posts, read 12,720,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Let's not forget " Oh I can see us entertaining here" lol
Right, got to have that pit fire on the deck or backyard for the guests!

Old 01-28-2019, 03:25 PM

29,750 posts, read 34,422,837 times
My favorite was a House Hunters (from my hometown) where the woman needed a space to be an instagram studio for her cat.

Old 01-29-2019, 04:22 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,654,133 times
I don't know how some of these people can afford these homes. I'm from Nashville and just saw an episode where a couple bought a $125K house. She was hoping to be a star and working as a file clerk or something. Her husdand did have a job - sheet metal something. But I grew up meeting people who were "going to be a star". Most couldn't afford houses. Maybe their folks were helping them.

Old 01-29-2019, 04:35 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,736,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
Exactly why my wife and I stopped buying/rehabbing/reselling houses years ago.

The people 30 and younger nowadays, are (mostly) all spoiled brats. They want the expensive, loaded house their parents worked up to after many, many years NOW, but it MUST be "turn-key" it MUST be LOADED with everything, and it MUST be sold to them about 2/3's under the market price. They don't understand buying an appropriate starter house, and moving up over time.

You can't satisfy them, and you'll go insane trying to make a deal and sell to them.

The odd thing is that MANY of them are unfortunately doomed to being "job gypsies", and would never likely stay long in any particular house anyway. The horrible thing for them, is that rent is many times MUCH more expensive than buying a house outright, at least in mid-Michigan it is.

I'd HATE having to be 18-24, and just starting my life now with how different it is now compared to the late '70's when my after school full-time work life started. I don't think I could hack it, it's changed too much. There's no loyalty out there anymore, on either businesses owners side or the workers side to the business they work for.

They don't understand that the nice home they grew up in did not start that way. They also think that if their parents can afford THEIR home on one salary, how come they can't.

Old 01-29-2019, 04:47 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,999,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
If I were the realtor, I would have murdered them on the spot. Justifiable homicide.
No, that's reserved for the couple I saw on one of these HGTV remodel shows who, having bought a lovely Arts and Crafts bungalow with all the original wood decor intact and in beautiful condition, decided they absolutely HAD to have a built-in entertainment center. So instead of hiring a cabinetmaker to make a freestanding entertainment center that could have been placed against the wood-paneled living room wall, they took a saw and CUT A HUGE HOLE in the original, old growth oak paneling to make a spot for the entertainment center they wanted!

(I wonder if they ever realized that as soon as they got to work with that saw they'd instantly reduced the value of their house by tens of thousands of dollars? That butcher job they did was simply not repairable, as the wood needed to repair it no longer exists. And most of the buyers of Arts and Crafts homes want the original woodwork intact!)

Old 01-29-2019, 06:38 PM

23,473 posts, read 44,128,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
No, that's reserved for the couple I saw on one of these HGTV remodel shows who, having bought a lovely Arts and Crafts bungalow with all the original wood decor intact and in beautiful condition, decided they absolutely HAD to have a built-in entertainment center. So instead of hiring a cabinetmaker to make a freestanding entertainment center that could have been placed against the wood-paneled living room wall, they took a saw and CUT A HUGE HOLE in the original, old growth oak paneling to make a spot for the entertainment center they wanted!

(I wonder if they ever realized that as soon as they got to work with that saw they'd instantly reduced the value of their house by tens of thousands of dollars? That butcher job they did was simply not repairable, as the wood needed to repair it no longer exists. And most of the buyers of Arts and Crafts homes want the original woodwork intact!)
STOP! My eyes are bleeding.

Old 01-30-2019, 08:41 AM

2,106 posts, read 980,904 times
Though I read the House Hunters show was fake , those couples all ready had houses they didn't intent selling or buying another ,

Old 01-30-2019, 08:56 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,153,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Right, got to have that pit fire on the deck or backyard for the guests!
Yes, the people on these HGTV shows are always obsessed about guests and entertaining rather than focusing on what meets the needs of their own family.

Old 01-30-2019, 09:06 AM

2,916 posts, read 1,517,494 times
You guys do realize that when someone wins $1 mullion, they pay about 1/2 in taxes. So, that affects the price of the house they are looking for.

Also, those shows are not 100% true. In order to be on the show, a person must already be closing on their house. So, the house they "pick" has already been picked. They just go look at houses and pretend to consider them. They then have to act on the show. And, they have to come up with fake reasons why they did not pick the other houses.

They did a House Hunters episode in my town. The couple was buying a house already. They looked at 2 other houses, one of which was not even for sale. It was a house of a friend.

It is partially scripted, as one of the people in the couple often come across as the complainer. That is all planned. I have even read stories of people who have appeared on these shows, and they are upset later that they were made to look like a jerk. And, they claim that they only did what they were told to do/say.

The people on House Hunters are also told to bring 3 changes of clothes, and the show staff decide what looks best.

So, do not assume all is as it seems. It is all fake.

I have also read that some of the hosts on the home improvement shows do none of the work. Other people do. They just film it to make it look like they do the work.

Last edited by MisterShipWreck; 01-30-2019 at 10:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV