Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2020, 10:02 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
What happened with the fax? Was it other Mia Warrens and Mia removed the one that was actually her?
No, none of the criminal records faxed over were her. They were all other Mia Warrens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2020, 10:04 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
No, none of the criminal records faxed over were her. They were all other Mia Warrens.
Thanks!

Old 03-23-2020, 11:02 AM

41,961 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
I find it difficult to believe that so much interracial dating was not only going on then, but accepted. I graduated high school wayyyyyyy after these kids did and there was no racism to the black students, but there was no interracial dating. Not kids tht age. But, half their school is black, and it's not Texas.........
The story takes place in Shaker Heights, a suburb of Cleveland. Shaker Heights has been well integrated for decades, and by design.

Quote:
Shaker Heights, renowned as one of the nation's first planned suburbs, originally excluded blacks and other minorities through restrictive covenants. There was white resistance even after these covenants were ruled illegal and blacks began to move to Shaker Heights in the 1950s, but neighborhood and civic leaders encouraged integration. Several city ordinances were enacted to outlaw discriminatory housing practices and promote racial diversity. Shaker Heights established its own municipal housing office in 1967 to work with prospective home buyers and renters and cooperative real estate brokers.
This was written in the 1980s.

https://web.archive.org/web/20080509...ng/1988sep.htm

Old 03-23-2020, 01:22 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va83 View Post
My experience was the exact opposite of yours. That's that on that.
I realize people have different experiences, but it seems like some cannot even imagine others having experiences that are different then there's.

Why is it so "difficult to believe" that in a high school that is nearly 50% Black, there would be interracial dating? And that was from a poster who graduated high school "wayyyyyyy after these kids". So to me, it just seems odd that someone who graduated high school in the past ten years would still find interracial dating difficult to believe.

Old 03-23-2020, 01:35 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,261,849 times
Quote:
I realize people have different experiences, but it seems like some cannot even imagine others having experiences that are different then there's.

Why is it so "difficult to believe" that in a high school that is nearly 50% Black, there would be interracial dating? And that was from a poster who graduated high school "wayyyyyyy after these kids". So to me, it just seems odd that someone who graduated high school in the past ten years would still find interracial dating difficult to believe.
I understand. It is odd the "way after" part but there are a lot of odd things about race that still exist today... like the Klan still being around and the POTUS being unapologetically politically incorrect. There are just some cities in the USA that are not trying to be with the times and they are mostly in the South. It wouldn't be odd to me if she said she went to school in Alabama for instance.

Old 03-23-2020, 02:04 PM

Quote:
I understand. It is odd the "way after" part but there are a lot of odd things about race that still exist today... like the Klan still being around and the POTUS being unapologetically politically incorrect. There are just some cities in the USA that are not trying to be with the times and they are mostly in the South. It wouldn't be odd to me if she said she went to school in Alabama for instance.
I had the time frame of the show wrong. Due in part to the 'car phone' she was using. It looked like the kind that were actually only for use in the car back in the day.

Old 03-23-2020, 02:18 PM

Quote:
I didn't say I couldn't IMAGINE it. I said I thought it was unrealistic for it to be *so commonplace* among teens that it isn't even mentioned except in Elena's 'trying to be woke' way. Wide Eyed 'Her boyfriend is AFRICAN AMERICAN' like it's cool and trendy.

(Which is a whole other thing and clearly part of the plot, she has a subtle racism going on).

And there are already problems for the teens. The black boyfriend is increasingly bothered by things the mother says and things his gf doesn't understand. THAT I find to be realistic.

Old 03-24-2020, 12:04 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Did anyone watch the series Big Little Lies? I feel like Reese Witherspoon's character in Little Fires Everywhere is the same character as in Big Little Lies.

Old 03-24-2020, 04:08 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,727,011 times
Quote:
Excellent series BUT why is it only 3 episodes long?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxgrrl View Post
I’m loving this series so far. I haven’t read the book. I wish Hulu would release all eight episodes so I could binge it, but oh well, I’ll look forward to Wednesday’s now.
Quote:
That's what Hulu does with most of their shows. They release a few to get people interested, and then the rest come out each Wednesday.
Hulu often does this -- it's to keep people subscribing long term. If you're excited for a show, you can't just get a free trial for a month or rent for a month and watch all the episodes. You have to keep it for at least two months. Then hopefully you forget or get hooked on some other show that just started. You can just wait for the series to finish and then do your free trial, but if you're really excited about a show, you might not want to have to wait so long to even start it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garson View Post
intriguing show, I cannot imagine Mia as a white woman though. Seems like it would not be as rich a story.
Both actresses are great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I saw an interview with the actress who plays Pearl and she said that in the book Mia and Pearl's race isn't specified. I read the book a year or so ago, and don't remember them being white, black or Asian.
I'm reading the book now, and they make it pretty clear Mia is a white woman. There are plenty of racial issues, involving not just black and white, but Asian as well. The book is doing an excellent job capturing the nuance of race relations, white privilege and adoption issues. I can't yet say how well the series does because I'm waiting to start it until after I finish the book. Interesting, though, that the series made Mia black.

Quote:
I find it difficult to believe that so much interracial dating was not only going on then, but accepted. I graduated high school wayyyyyyy after these kids did and there was no racism to the black students, but there was no interracial dating. Not kids tht age. But, half their school is black, and it's not Texas.........
The book takes place in Shaker Heights, where there aren't a whole lot of black kids in the high school. Does the series not take place there?

Oh, and there is always racism. It just may be more subtle.

Old 03-24-2020, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Hulu often does this -- it's to keep people subscribing long term. If you're excited for a show, you can't just get a free trial for a month or rent for a month and watch all the episodes. You have to keep it for at least two months. Then hopefully you forget or get hooked on some other show that just started. You can just wait for the series to finish and then do your free trial, but if you're really excited about a show, you might not want to have to wait so long to even start it.

I'm reading the book now, and they make it pretty clear Mia is a white woman. There are plenty of racial issues, involving not just black and white, but Asian as well. The book is doing an excellent job capturing the nuance of race relations, white privilege and adoption issues. I can't yet say how well the series does because I'm waiting to start it until after I finish the book. Interesting, though, that the series made Mia black.

The book takes place in Shaker Heights, where there aren't a whole lot of black kids in the high school. Does the series not take place there?

Oh, and there is always racism. It just may be more subtle.
In the show, the school is 50% black. One of the racial issues is black students not being in AP courses. Pearl gets dressed down for requesting to be in one. The teacher or counselor says something about 'where she is from'. It's pretty ugly.

Elena fixes it for her, which is one of the troubles brewing between her and Mia. Mia had told Pearl to advocate for herself, she hasn't said anything yet but she's clearly resentful of the whole white savior thing going on with Elena.

Elena's daughter's black boyfriend is getting angry with Elena's dumbass remarks like 'You and Pearl must have a lot in common'. Which made me lol. Sure, yeah. I'm sure they must.

On another note, I had a hard time swallowing the plot at first. I have to get over it to keep watching. Elena bends over backwards to Pearl to a degree that is just bizarre.

Rent a homeless single mother at well below market. Awesome. Offer to lower it even more if she will mow the lawn. Excellent. Offer her work too, still cool. When Mia balks at mornings, after being surly about even taking any work to begin with?

At that point I'd be like I see why you are ****ing homeless. You don't want to work! It's just too much for me to believe. BUT she likes Pearl too, and wants Mia to be friend. You don't treat your friends like regular employees.

I'm rolling with it because I otherwise like the story and want to see what happens. But I want to slap Mia on the regular due to how RUDE she is. That LOOK on her face that just says '**** off'.

PS was she a prostitute? Or just like a sex addict or something. ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV