Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2021, 07:25 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,229,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
The last time an actor talked "to the camera" was Tim Hutton in "Ellery Queen" explaining the who-done-it. That was ok, but it was 40 years ago, too. We have less patience and attention span now...
Actually, it's done with some regularity. It's called "The Fourth Wall", and talking to the camera/audience is breaking the fourth wall. Fleabag was famous for it. And The Office and Modern Family both had versions of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourth_wall
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2021, 07:27 AM

439 posts, read 425,208 times
I wanted to like it but thought it was awful.

Old 01-04-2021, 07:29 AM

22,915 posts, read 28,256,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Actually, it's done with some regularity. It's called "The Fourth Wall", and talking to the camera/audience is breaking the fourth wall. Fleabag was famous for it. And The Office and Modern Family both had versions of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourth_wall
Yup. MALCOLM IN THE MIDDLE and THE BERNIE MAC SHOW also broke the fourth wall in most episodes. It's one of those things that when it works, it's great. But it's easy to misuse.

Old 01-04-2021, 07:52 AM

2,106 posts, read 977,773 times
Think I’ll give it a miss , it’ looks like a bad copy of the British show ...Miranda

Old 01-04-2021, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchbot View Post
How in the h*** does she keep getting roles? She has not aged well since "Blossom". TV is for hotties.
Hi, welcome to the 21st century. Where people, on rare occasion, actually get roles because they're good actors, and not because of boobs, butts or blondes.

By the last few seasons of BBT, she was making $10 million a season. For someone that "has not aged well", she does okay.

Back to the thread... this show needs some work. It has potential, but the time it will take to gel as a series, for the writers & cast to get a feel for the characters... I'm afraid the ratings will not give them that time.

They should have done more development work on this before greenlighting it.

Old 01-04-2021, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Back to the thread... this show needs some work. It has potential, but the time it will take to gel as a series, for the writers & cast to get a feel for the characters... I'm afraid the ratings will not give them that time.
Maybe. There have been lots of shows that started out really weak but were given the time to find their feet and turned into fantastic television. Ever watched the first season of PARKS AND REC? It's painfully bad.

Is Call Me Kat a Chuck Lorre production? If so, it'll probably run for at least 3 seasons, no matter how bad it is.

Old 01-04-2021, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Maybe. There have been lots of shows that started out really weak but were given the time to find their feet and turned into fantastic television. Ever watched the first season of PARKS AND REC? It's painfully bad.

Is Call Me Kat a Chuck Lorre production? If so, it'll probably run for at least 3 seasons, no matter how bad it is.
I would love to see this given time, and turn good. I like the cast, but the writing really needs some work. Fingers crossed.

Amazingly, not Chuck Lorre. Mayim is a producer, and so is Jim Parsons. But it was done outside the Chuck Lorre umbrella. Probably why it's on Fox, and not CBS.

Old 01-04-2021, 09:32 AM

8,752 posts, read 5,046,098 times
I don`t usually watch sitcoms until they go into reruns. I know wierd. We just sterted watching the Big Bang Theory....and we like it. We will give Call Me Kat, a chance, but probably won`t like it, until it`s run it`s course. LOL. Blossom was big, when my daughter was young, and I kind of like MB, on Big Bang, so we will see.

Old 01-04-2021, 09:59 AM

17,609 posts, read 17,642,256 times
Horrible first episode. Felt awkward and uncomfortable. Will give it two more episodes to see if they become more relaxed and funny or at least entertaining.

Old 01-04-2021, 10:50 AM

Quote:
I would love to see this given time, and turn good. I like the cast, but the writing really needs some work. Fingers crossed.
It's possible. I can think of lots of shows that started really poorly that turned into good or even great shows --- PARKS AND REC, STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION, BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER, THE OFFICE....

But yes, if a movie or TV show is bad, then 99% of the time, the writing is to blame. The actors aren't making this up as they go along. They can only give the lines they are given.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV