Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2018, 07:27 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,235,127 times

Advertisements

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...-novel-1136974
Quote:
Apple has added another series to its roster, picking up a drama based on Isaac Asimov's classic sci-fi novel Foundation.

David S. Goyer (Krypton, Batman Begins) and Josh Friedman (Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, Avatar 2) will serve as showrunners.

The initial order for the Skydance Television-produced project is 10 episodes. The series will chronicle the thousand-year saga of The Foundation, a band of exiles who discover the only way to save their Galactic Empire is to defy it.
As someone who loved The Foundation series (at least the first books), I'm looking forward to this. I know it has been attempted, and dropped, by several producers. Including HBO as recently as 2014. So the challenges are immense, and readers know why. But Game of Thrones has shown it can be done with the right people in charge, so there's hope.

I don't reside (or even visit) in the AppleVerse, but will subscribe to watch this. No time line in the article.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2018, 06:04 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,618,535 times
I agree. The original "Foundation" trilogy was outstanding. I am looking forward to the show.

Old 09-24-2021, 07:52 AM

The first two episodes have been released. I thought they were very good. I'll admit I was somewhat dismayed when I heard about all the changes they were making from the books, but so far, not a worry.

Great visuals, Jared Harris is amazing, and the story has me hooked.

Old 09-26-2021, 05:46 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,250,708 times
Wonder will Apple do all seven books or just the first three? I'll wait a year or two to see how it goes. Worry that they will PC the books, like everything else in this day-and-age.

Old 09-26-2021, 07:58 AM

I don't think anyone knows what will happen. It depends on how well it's received. It looks like it costs a fortune, so I would guess they need some eyeballs to pay for this.

PC or not PC? Who gives a toot? Either enjoy it or don't. I will say this, the original trilogy was one of the most misogynistic set of books of its day. No women of much import. The entire story is dated... people smoking cigarettes, cars running on fossil fuels, etc. For a book set 10,000 years in the future, it's fairly anachronistic. Still one of the best reads ever, just remember when it was written.

Based on the first two episodes, they have updated the concepts and implementation, while retaining the basic story.

I'm going to watch it and enjoy it. If I waited to see whether a series is renewed or not, I'd never turn on my TV.

Old 09-27-2021, 04:08 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,188,490 times
I only watched the first episode, and it started a bit slow. I'm hoping it picks up. The reviews seem to be all over the place. A few of them fairly good, but several quite critical. I think it probably just has to do with how challenging the source material is and the fact that it had always been considered "unadaptable".

But I'll watch anything with Jared Harris in it. Lee Pace is pretty good as well.

Old 11-02-2021, 05:12 PM

A month later... anyone still watching?

I'll admit to being disappointed. Two reasons. First, this has nothing to do with Asimov's Foundation. Other than a whisper of a concept or two, and a few shared names, the story is nothing like the books. Of the three major plots being advanced--Salvor/Termins/Invictus, Cleon/clones, Hari/Gaal--not a single one was in the books.

But mainly, it's just not very good. Moves much too slowly, the story needs some serious editing. They spend 10-15 minutes of each episode showing/telling us the same thing, without advancing the story.

I feel like I've watched an hour or two of plot, spread over (so far) seven episodes. I'll finish the season, but unless they stick the landing, I won't be back.

And I say this as someone who's read the books (original trilogy) three times!

Old 11-02-2021, 08:12 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,188,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
A month later... anyone still watching?

I'll admit to being disappointed. Two reasons. First, this has nothing to do with Asimov's Foundation. Other than a whisper of a concept or two, and a few shared names, the story is nothing like the books. Of the three major plots being advanced--Salvor/Termins/Invictus, Cleon/clones, Hari/Gaal--not a single one was in the books.

But mainly, it's just not very good. Moves much too slowly, the story needs some serious editing. They spend 10-15 minutes of each episode showing/telling us the same thing, without advancing the story.

I feel like I've watched an hour or two of plot, spread over (so far) seven episodes. I'll finish the season, but unless they stick the landing, I won't be back.

And I say this as someone who's read the books (original trilogy) three times!
Overall, I agree with your assessment. It's not great. The writing is muddled, the pacing is inconsistent, and I'm not happy about what happened to Jared Harris (yet again) on a TV show.

Of all the plot lines, I have enjoyed the Cleon/Empire/clone triumvirate the most. It's an intriguing concept, which really hit home this past episode with the current Brother Dawn's realization that he's different and his existence literally depends on his being able to hide it from the others, lest he be replaced. And Lee Pace has been the strongest actor on the show, IMO.

Old 11-09-2021, 08:46 AM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
I have been watching but I too don't think it is that good. Kind of a shame!

Old 11-09-2021, 01:31 PM

Fino
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV