Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2023, 11:02 PM

22 posts, read 14,445 times

Advertisements

I remember not caring too much about space or sci fi until a friend convinced me to play "Mass Effect".

What I saw blew me away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDu_EIAsmDw

The aliens were much cooler looking than the aliens of Star Wars or Star Trek.

The game's aesthetic is what I expect the future of humanity should look like. Those sleek spaceships and space stations.

And while I had fun watching the Star Wars movies this game drew me in in a way Star Wars never did. I immediately was enthralled with the characters, story, and universe of Mass Effect.
Perhaps it was because of it's interactive nature.

Unlike Star Trek Mass Effect is not a planet of the week episodic adventure and unlike Star Wars the story and world of Mass Effect is scientific rather than fantasy.

Why isn't there something like that on TV?

A lovable spaceship crew embroiled in an intergalactic adventure set in a scientific world but is serialized adventure like "Game of Thrones" and not a planet of the week episodic adventure like the original Trek and "Strange New Worlds" with the crew battling ancient alien threats and shadowy organizations with their own machinations in a serialized adventure like GOT or BSG?

And unlike the family friendly Star Trek and Star Wars there would be sex.

It would be space adventure if HBO done it!

Or are people tired of HBO level stuff and want more shows that are more PG-13 level?

I don't care if it is like an HBO show or an ABC soap opera as long as it is good.

I really enjoyed the first seasons of "Once Upon A Time".

Have things gotten so bad that if most people saw something like Mass Effect that would find humanity having a future like that ridiculous? We stopped dreaming of the future?

There are loads of people willing to eat up Trek and Wars but not many people interested in this flavor of space adventure and I find that quite sad.

Shouldn't space travel and the future be exciting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2023, 12:28 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
The Orville.. I thoroughly enjoyed that show and wish it would continue.

While I imagine it's kinda disqualified from what you're thinking here, because.. Let's be honest.. It's Star Trek without the name Star Trek on it.. I'd say it's the closest thing we've had in quite a while.

Old 10-11-2023, 02:59 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
I enjoy science fiction as a genre but never did like most TV offerings, especially Star Trek. Just found it cringeworthy. I did enjoy the first two original Star Wars films but not the later Disneyfied offerings. Too childish, pedantic, dripping with rehashed bits. Another episodic science fiction series I felt was pretty well done is The Expanse. Quite a bit of believable hardships-of-space-life, faceted storylines and relatable characters. They're all imperfect, (some deliciously so), so they keep you guessing. No ET monster masks however. The closest it gets are humans sporting symbolic tattoos. If you need ETs to meet your criteria of science fiction, you'll be disappointed.

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-11-2023 at 03:20 PM..

Old 10-11-2023, 02:59 PM

6,963 posts, read 2,696,549 times
You mean like "Quark"???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6axuAOWT8Z0

Old 10-11-2023, 03:03 PM

12,832 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Star Trek drove my career. I wouldn't have done the things I did had I not watched it as a kid.

Babylon 5 was a great series, but I wouldn't want a remake of it because it was a complete story. Any remake will just ruin the characters and storyline like Hollywood always does.

Old 10-14-2023, 01:04 PM

8,477 posts, read 4,724,709 times
True. Shows like the aforementioned Babylon 5 as well as Firefly are classics. A good, original idea - with great characters - is lacking. I wouldn’t mind seeing Stargate Universe getting picked up again. I have never been a big Stargate fan, but SGU was amazing, and got a terrible ending due to it getting shut down way before it should have.

Old 10-14-2023, 03:09 PM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
If we could all go back to 1975 and see SPACE1999. The only real space show there was.

Old 10-15-2023, 08:44 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
I thought Farscape was a really good show. Great characters and story lines.

Old 10-15-2023, 11:10 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootingStar992 View Post
Why isn't there something like that on TV?
Because when it comes to Hollywood executives, this remains true: No one ever got fired for saying no.

No one wants to take a risk on a show without a certain degree of success. Despite their politics, Hollywood is inherently conservative and averse to risk. No one wants to take a chance on something that isn't a proven success. It's why there are ... how many versions of Star Trek now? Nine? Ten? And a dozen STAR WARS shows. And how many clones of THE X-FILES?

No one wants to take a chance on something new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootingStar992 View Post
A lovable spaceship crew embroiled in an intergalactic adventure set in a scientific world but is serialized adventure like "Game of Thrones" and not a planet of the week episodic adventure like the original Trek and "Strange New Worlds" with the crew battling ancient alien threats and shadowy organizations with their own machinations in a serialized adventure like GOT or BSG?
Have you tried THE EXPANSE? It had a lot of what you're looking for. You might also like WESTWORLD --- at least the first season. The first season was great. After that? Nope. Just pretend it ends at the season 1 finale.

But look at your idea. It is still very much in the same vein as Star Trek --- a "crew" onboard a "ship." Despite being science fiction, it is still very much in the mindset of the 17th and 18th century maritime adventures. Nothing at all wrong with that. I love it too.

But if we really want a "new" space adventure, can we maybe not think beyond the old paradigms a bit?

Old 10-19-2023, 02:54 PM

6,335 posts, read 2,889,808 times
Dark Matter was a really good show that only lasted 3 seasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV