Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 10:31 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,774,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
This passing of the The Tonight Show torch is a moment that ages us all. It's like who was the US President when you were born and how many have been there since (A person who lives to 80 sees an average of 15 different US presidents in office during their lifetime)

Who was the host of The Tonight Show and how many have been there since? (I would venture a guess that a person living to 80 sees an average of 5 Tonight Show hosts in their lifetime?)
Ike was the President when I was born and a 57 Chevy was not a "classic". Jack Parr was king of late night and Ed Sullivan was king of Sunday night. And some guy named Red Skelton was around too. TV was black and white and got 3 channels- all of which went off at midnight,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 10:42 PM

540 posts, read 1,329,984 times
Quote:
Reply here if you furious Conan Takes over the Tonight Show on Monday
There are plenty of things to get "furious" over, but a TV show is not one of them

Jay, Dave and Conan are all talented guys and appeal to different people

I like them all. Jay and Conan grew up within a half hour of one another, and I was smack in the middle. I dig them both

Besides, Jay will still be on. No biggie. "Stay cool my babies"

Old 06-20-2009, 11:01 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,715,088 times
Quote:
Anybody that doesn't gets Conan's humor is an old fart. And we ALL know that old farts usually can't make it past the 11pm news...so the Leno Variety Show at 10pm (starting this fall) will be good for them...kind of like when my grandparents used to watch Lawrence Welk.

Leno stole his best bits from Howard Stern. He always wanted to attract Howard's market and even stole John "The Stutterer" Melendez from him, hoping to pick up some of his market. Poor John...wtf is that guy gonna do now????

I may indeed be an "old fart" by the standards of someone who's in their twenties.....but none the less I just don't find Conan funny...period. If others do, more power to them. NBC has made the change and there is nothing Conan lovers or Conan haters can do about it at this point. My guess is that Conan's ratings will slide to the point where NBC will do something about it, but that's just my guess at this point.

I must say I somewhat resent what many Conan lovers say about Leno's fans....that we're way to old, practically illiterate, don't know good humor, aren't intellectual enough to "catch" Conan's humor....ya right. First of all I don't watch TV to be intellectually stimulated for gods sake. What a sad commentary if our "youth" think watching TV is an intellectually stimulating activity.

I think Jay had good material and he made me laugh. In my opinion, Conan's show is all about Conan. He jerks his body parts around constantly doing odd jestures, he flips his hair around, contorts his face around in odd ways and assorted other things that to me aren't funny but rather just plain strange. Conan will say a few words then launch into the odd behavior I mentioned above....I just don't see how watching him acting spastic is only understood by those who are intellectual ????

If you love Conan, great....enjoy watching him. If you don't (we did give him a chance...watched him for two weeks with only one laugh on our end) turn him off as we did. The true feelings of the viewers will come out in the end and he'll either be a success or a failure....so we'll just wait and see.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:37 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,509,301 times
then my guess would be that you're not a big fan of Jim Carrey, either.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:18 AM

1,111 posts, read 4,639,921 times
Quote:
then my guess would be that you're not a big fan of Jim Carrey, either.
Jim Carrey's humor is getting old. There are only so many times you can do the same faces and expressions before it gets tiring.

Old 06-27-2009, 01:50 PM

251 posts, read 767,943 times
Default something for everyone.

i think the original plan was for jay leno to retire from doing the tonight show, but i guess NBC wants to be a network that's not in last place so they had jay to stay and make a show of his own. jay said himself that there isn't any comedy at 10 pm -- just a bunch of dramas (nothing bad, but no comedy).

no need to worry because jay leno will be back in september. i recently saw a commercial for ideas about his show.. i'm excited.

that said, i like conan too. i've watched most of conan's tonight show and it's not bad... but i do understand how some people don't like his brand of comedy. it's strange but that's what i like about it.

from a marketing standpoint, conan has been the best at the 18-49 demographic and it seems to be the most important to bring that particular age group in there. it's worked for him at late night and it seems to be working for him at the tonight show.

i think what's great is the fact that if we don't like one, there are others to choose from. many people may not like conan o'brien, but there's also david letterman, craig ferguson, jimmy fallon, jimmy kimmel... and even carson daly (i never watched his show but i hear it's a similar set up).

i'm just satisfied that there's something for everyone to enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I'm a depressed Jay Leno fan right now and it would not have been as painful if Conan wasn't the last guest. Jay Leno wasn't on the last Show of Johnny Carson so why was the red headed goofball on Jay's show?

And if Leno is staying with NBC next fall why is he still not on the Tonight Show?

Old 06-27-2009, 01:55 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,570,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
He is not Leno but he is not THAT bad. NBC wants a younger audience and they figure Conan will deliver that for them and he probably will.
That may be true, if you can stand him.

Old 06-27-2009, 01:56 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,425,483 times
Quote:
Anybody that doesn't gets Conan's humor is an old fart. And we ALL know that old farts usually can't make it past the 11pm news...so the Leno Variety Show at 10pm (starting this fall) will be good for them...kind of like when my grandparents used to watch Lawrence Welk.

Leno stole his best bits from Howard Stern. He always wanted to attract Howard's market and even stole John "The Stutterer" Melendez from him, hoping to pick up some of his market. Poor John...wtf is that guy gonna do now????
I have your "old fart" here.. Conan has no class, he brings some of the dumb things he had on his old show, such as the "the ppl from the future", come on ,elementary school kids would be better entertainment and not get the big bucks.. I used to watch Jay everynight without missing , but with Conan I know it's the same show as New York , all he did was move himself () his band and his personality , like touching his chest with his finger tips...OMG NBC you have ratings in the toilet. So let's bring Conan in and go through the toilet to the septic tank. I watch Deadliest Catch instead. Who thinks Conan will last 17 years at the Tonight Show?? () Don't answer, I know... I wonder why Jay is coming back on at 10:00, to help NBC ratings, surely not with Conan....go back to NY...

Old 06-27-2009, 04:29 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,293,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vette-dude View Post
I have your "old fart" here.. Conan has no class, he brings some of the dumb things he had on his old show, such as the "the ppl from the future", come on ,elementary school kids would be better entertainment and not get the big bucks.. I used to watch Jay everynight without missing , but with Conan I know it's the same show as New York , all he did was move himself () his band and his personality , like touching his chest with his finger tips...OMG NBC you have ratings in the toilet. So let's bring Conan in and go through the toilet to the septic tank. I watch Deadliest Catch instead. Who thinks Conan will last 17 years at the Tonight Show?? () Don't answer, I know... I wonder why Jay is coming back on at 10:00, to help NBC ratings, surely not with Conan....go back to NY...

I think Conan is funny, you don't, I don't get all worked up about it. I hate American Idol but don't go and start threads saying it sucks how dare they. Seems like a waste of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV