Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 03:46 PM

2,071 posts, read 6,695,287 times

Advertisements

Why do you think there are no family shows on regular TV? Actually even cable?

What i mean by family programs are like shows from the past that did so well, were so popular.

Growing Pains

Family Ties

Whos the boss

Wonder Years

Different Strokes

All in the family

Webster

Brady Brunch

Well, you guys know what I mean. Now i see that reality TV took over, but what programs do you allow your children to watch?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 05:18 PM

436 posts, read 1,522,931 times
I loved watching those shows as a kid. I remember that ABC had the TGIF shows on friday nights with Full house, Family Matters, Step by Step. Those were definately family shows with a moral at the end of every show.

It is very sad that those kind of shows are gone. I think it is just a reflection of society today. Those shows are not "edgy" enough for today's viewers.

I've noticed recently that all the movies that are aimed at children-Ice Age, Harry Potter- are rated PG instead of G. The defination of the PG rating is "Some material may not be appropriate for children" Is it just me, or is there something wrong with that statement? If it is a children's movie why is there inappropriate material? Sorry I'll get off my soapbox now

Old 07-19-2009, 05:36 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,609,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamom1 View Post
I loved watching those shows as a kid. I remember that ABC had the TGIF shows on friday nights with Full house, Family Matters, Step by Step. Those were definately family shows with a moral at the end of every show.

It is very sad that those kind of shows are gone. I think it is just a reflection of society today. Those shows are not "edgy" enough for today's viewers.

I've noticed recently that all the movies that are aimed at children-Ice Age, Harry Potter- are rated PG instead of G. The defination of the PG rating is "Some material may not be appropriate for children" Is it just me, or is there something wrong with that statement? If it is a children's movie why is there inappropriate material? Sorry I'll get off my soapbox now
The problem is that G movies are not seen as big enough money makers. They have to throw some edgy stuff in to make it popular with adults as well. The same mentality is the reason there aren't as many rated R movies these days. They want those kids and adults coming in.

You listed Harry Potter but I think that is a bad example. The movies are based on material in the book, so I don't think you can blame the movie. It's not like they threw in a boob shot or something.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:00 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,256,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
Why do you think there are no family shows on regular TV? Actually even cable?
They're all on the Disney channel and Nick. Most of them are painfully bad.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:35 PM

436 posts, read 1,522,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
You listed Harry Potter but I think that is a bad example. The movies are based on material in the book, so I don't think you can blame the movie. It's not like they threw in a boob shot or something.
I disagree somewhat. The first three HP movies( or maybe the first two, I can't remember) were directed by one director and the last two(or three) were directed by someone else. If you watch the first movie and then compare it with the fourth, it is quite different. I have never read the books, but I understand that in every book there is a battle. In the first movie, the battle scene was played down somewhat compared to the fourth where the battle scenes were a large part.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:41 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,459,410 times
What about How I met your Mother or Surviving Suburbia or In the Motherhood?

Old 07-19-2009, 10:09 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,948,991 times
The new SpongeBob Squarepants episodes are fantastic.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:32 PM

709 posts, read 1,767,063 times
Quote:
Most people under the age of 20 never heard of TGIF on ABC. To them the days of TGIF are considered part of the stone age back when the X-Box and the I-Pod did not exist yet.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:01 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,749,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
I wouldn't consider How I met your Mother family programming.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:13 PM

2,071 posts, read 6,695,287 times
Thanks, but i never heard of those tv shows. Would you say they are appropriate for young children? Good family value shows?

Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV